60 coaches online • Server time: 22:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Quod

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul appearance rules say any attempts to pass or catch within three squares of the character will be penalised by -1.

Last night someone intercepted the ball, with no penalisation, with 2 FA players within 3 squares. As the interceptor had agi5, he needed a 4+, with 2 FA in range that SHOULD have been modified to 6+, but was not.

Is it considered that intercept is not a catch? If so, then why can you use your "catch" reroll with an intercept?

I would appreciate clarification of this rule, so a Bug Report can be submitted, or i can climb back under my rock.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

perhaps he rolled under 4 before the modifiers were applied? i dunno but that is my guess! Smile
Quod

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at the results closely, and he had an unmodified roll. there were no minuses (-) in it. Hence this post to confirm wether it is supposed to be, or not etc.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe he rolled a 6. Because on a natural 1 and 6 there are no modifiers applied. And i think Foul Appearance should work with interceptions.
DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

maybe he was blind couldent see the ugly F**k and hence rolled no modifiers

nah idn maybe he failed the first catch and rerolled a 6 cancelling out the FA?

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Was the catch skill used? In a match against my bro's Rotters, he says his foul appearances didn't affects my rerolls (using Pass and Catch). We haven't reported it since we aren't sure 100% and haven't verified it.
TheAnomaly

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

check your opponents roster and see if the interceptor has nerves of steel. NoS removes those kind of penalties.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

NoS removes not the FA-mods, IMO
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules state that NoS only cancels -1 penalties from tackle zones for passing/catching/intercepting. FA should still work on a NoS player.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

well, basically the FA rules say that FA affects both passing and catching the ball (notice that it does NOT say intercept), whereas the catch rule state that you may reroll a failed catch, hand off and interception!

So, I hope you noticed that catching and intercepting are generally two different thing, but that the catch skill applies to both (catching and intercepting).

You could explain the missing FA influence on the roll like this: The player making the interception attempt is already so concentrated on catching <edit>whoops meant to write intercept</edit> a difficult pass (hence the -2 on the attempt) that he barely notices anything beside him (3 squares or more) unless his opponent is directly next to him, making him divide his attention between ball and opponent (thus gaining another -1 per opponent TZ).

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok i started a game standing alone to see if fa affected an intercept and got these results:
with a NOS guy, fa didnt affect him and intercepted as normal

with a non-NOS guy, fa affected and he needed a 6.

SO in the client nos prevents fa too.

We got a bug or its normal?
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quod wrote:

Is it considered that intercept is not a catch? If so, then why can you use your "catch" reroll with an intercept?

Why would you think an INT (2 SPP) is the same as a catch (no SPP, although 1 SPP for the thrower)? Just because you can use the Catch skill to reroll it?

The Catch skill description pretty clearly states that it allows the player to reroll a failed Catch roll. It ALSO allows a player to reroll if he drops a Hand-off or misses an Interception. So I guess they would be considered two different things.

Foul Appearance doesn't mention Interceptions, just Passing or Catching the ball. It doesn't apply to pickup the ball rolls or INT as far as I can tell.
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2004 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

The lrb states like I said before that NoS negates any penalties gained on passes, catches and interceptions because of Tackle Zones. It doesn't say anything about negating FA and I think we can all agree that FA and TZ aren't the same thing. So Nos should not affect the interception when it comes to FA. Don't know if FA should be used on INT tho...

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2004 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

To cover some of the questions asked, he definately rolled a 4, he did not have NOS(as far as I can tell, there is only one player on his roster with an int), and the negs were not applied.
I'm at work atm, so cannot tell you where exactly it was, pretty sure it was around mid 2nd half.
Game Report

I'm thinking We might ask on the vault for the GW solution to FA/NOS and interceptions.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2004 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Unxerxes wrote:
Quote:

The lrb states like I said before that NoS negates any penalties gained on passes, catches and interceptions because of Tackle Zones. It doesn't say anything about negating FA and I think we can all agree that FA and TZ aren't the same thing. So Nos should not affect the interception when it comes to FA. Don't know if FA should be used on INT tho...

The purpose of NoS, however, is to negate penalites for other players nearby. The reasoning behind FA, a distracing/ugly appearance, would also be negated by the justification behind Nerves of Steel. NoS should negate FA modifiers on catching, passing, etc.

Of course, it's a game and doesn't have to make sense, which would mean that there is a bug because I've seen NoS negate foul appearance negs.
 Jump to: