19 coaches online • Server time: 08:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BattleLore

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Starting with the new WO Ranked and Black Box teams are accepted in all Majors.

Still only one team per coach is allowed.

The WO will be followed by the Ulthuan Invitational, Crown of Sands, Grotty Little Tournament and Fumbbl Cup.

These Majors are open for all.

There will be the XFL Masters as a special Major only for the winners of the XFL Tournaments.

There still will be Royal Rookie Rumbles and Brawls as Minor Tournaments which will start on demand.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry BattleLore, but I have to say I'm sad to see this. I thought there was a lot of value in having box-only majors, which were reserved for teams that have been built in the Blackbox environment, free from any picking or pimping.

I know you can't always please everybody, but this might encourage me to steer clear of FUMBBL majors for this year.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm Sad

what makes the fumbbl cup special, then?

more fundamentally, what's the point in trying to make a tournament team in blackbox now, then?
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
what makes the fumbbl cup special, then?

It is the Fumbbl Cup. Wink

Are Box Majors gone?

Getting rid of Box Majors would not be good. Are we short of tournament staff?

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with what it said above, even if I’m pleased to be able’ to play more majors as a black box only player, it will remove a huge part of the difficulty that building a good box tournament team is...it’s a lot easy to build strong team in ranked...
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My gut feeling was the same. However, to build really high tv you need games. In Box they can't hide from your massive tv team. In Ranked they can.

I'm happy to see more majors (I don't play Ranked). Sad that Wheel of Chaos didn't make the cut.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Two things:

I wish that Warpstone wasn't the one kept - Much prefer the Wheel of Chaos format to the "3 losers get in" format of WO.

This is probably a good thing in terms of tourney management - Lustrian Challenge was a long ass albatross. Black Cup was no different than the Fumbbl Cup bar participant pool. Having 7 or 8 Major tournaments was a pain in terms of promotion, population and participation.

And for all of you fretting over the competitiveness of box teams

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=759098 vs. https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=761323

I will laugh in your face if you'd rather face the Box iteration.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

So, from the chat in Discord, apparently Brawls are going to be consolidated as well, meaning that there will be no more Box-only official tourneys at all.

This is a very sad day indeed for the Box. For me personally, a big reason to play in the open divisions on FUMBBL at all has just been shot in the face at close range (I dislike Ranked).

ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2018 - 23:57
FUMBBL Staff

Nah, playing against Ranked teams is fine. For open play I prefer Box, for tournaments I like to be part of something big (even if it's a Round 1 exit)
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
So, from the chat in Discord, apparently Brawls are going to be consolidated as well, meaning that there will be no more Box-only official tourneys at all.

This is a very sad day indeed for the Box. For me personally, a big reason to play in the open divisions on FUMBBL at all has just been shot in the face at close range (I dislike Ranked).

JellyBelly, I get ya. I too was once very opposed to Ranked conceptually. But as time has passed and I've actually gotten familiar with the coaches and teams within, it's not a bad alternative to Box, especially when you've filled over 90% of the Box Grid and most of the experiences you are seeking are subverted by the activation choices of other coaches.

You've been here long enough to be ready to shed whatever animosity you have towards Ranked.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 00:35
FUMBBL Staff

JellyBelly wrote:

Note that there's also no more R only official tourneys.

I agree with mrt1212, I like the change. I think we'll see more participants, no more overlapping majors. It's not a decision I had any part of, but I think it's a positive one.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 00:36
FUMBBL Staff

Also, I think if EA hadn't been out for so long with a broken leg this announcement would have been made sooner Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 00:50
FUMBBL Staff

No one is going to miss the Black Cup.

The WO and the WoC were always too similar, and the WO has the history..

The LC is/was the only major with a league phase, sad to see that go. Though the TGC won't be missed.

All in all not too dissimilar to the plans I had for this day, (for ever secret, i backed the party line) now we await the 'great joining'.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
No one is going to miss the Black Cup.

The WO and the WoC were always too similar, and the WO has the history..

The LC is/was the only major with a league phase, sad to see that go. Though the TGC won't be missed.

All in all not too dissimilar to the plans I had for this day, (for ever secret, i backed the party line) now we await the 'great joining'.

The other benefit of the WO over WoC is that the WoC is bound to a participant pool that could be anywhere from 80 coaches to 128 coaches depending on the size of the pools for the Favoured or Champion brackets. I forget which one is which.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2018 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:

JellyBelly, I get ya. I too was once very opposed to Ranked conceptually. But as time has passed and I've actually gotten familiar with the coaches and teams within, it's not a bad alternative to Box, especially when you've filled over 90% of the Box Grid and most of the experiences you are seeking are subverted by the activation choices of other coaches.

You've been here long enough to be ready to shed whatever animosity you have towards Ranked.

Sorry, mrt, but I have no interest at all in playing in Ranked. I strongly dislike the concept and, if anything, I've grown to like it less the more time I have spent on FUMBBL.

For me, one of the main pleasures on FUMBBL is building up a team to enter tournaments with, and I was really looking forward to the Box-only tournaments this year. However, I have little interest in spending my time building up a team in Box, to enter tournaments where I'll be playing against coaches who have taken the easier, less risky option of pimping up a team in [R]. It really doesn't appeal to me at all.

So, where is my incentive now to bother building teams in Box? This sort of decision is probably going to push me closer to being an [L] only coach.

Jump to: