49 coaches online • Server time: 22:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
poweraxis

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

i am sure this has been talked about in this forum in the past, but i am relatively new here... this is my 9th day.

i dont understand why anyone would use the dirty player trait in a regular game here. there is only one reason for using this, to destroy the other team. if you think it is to gain some sp's, you need to talk to a shrink. it isnt, it is all about making the other team unplayable, or to take out its best players. which in essence, usually makes it unplayable.

this environment is not like playing the board game with your friends... or even at your local gaming spot. this place is completely different. we develop an attachment to these teams. some of these people have had the same team for a long time... my guess is some of the worst dirty players have been here the longest.

fouling belongs in this game, but trying to destroy someones team, doesnt...

i dont understand the psyche of someone that throws a fit when their favorite player gets permantly killed, or their team gets destroyed so bad it is no longer playable... yet, they will do their damnest to do this to someone else.

a tournament is a different matter, it is understood you are out to win at all costs. this is a risk you take entering it. dirty player belongs in this setting.

personally, i usually dont foul until my opponant does... and the only time i try to destroy my opponants team is when it is blatantly clear he is trying to destroy mine. i do believe i have fouled first in 4 out of the 68 games i have played as of this post.

next time you try to destroy the team you are playing, try thinking how you would feel if that is what was being done to you. there is a time and place for everything... but i dont think there is ever a time to hurt someone sitting on the other side of that screen that didnt ask for it to begin with. just saying "care for a game?" isnt what i would call asking for it.

so far none of my teams have been destroyed maliciously, but that doesnt mean i havent already come across a few that tried. there are several that need to learn what sportsmanship is... and even a few that their parents need to be flogged for not teaching it to them.
petsku

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Here we go again....
poweraxis

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, that cant be right, there is no way i have played an average of 7 games a day... is there? uh, i need help!
Xychu

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

instead of getting one foulthread to 1000 posts we could try to get 1000 threads about fouling ... or both Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think he met Wuhan...

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, pouling without DP is like blocking without power - u have to be really lucky to do any good Smile

The point of fouling is not to decimate the opposing team forever, only for as long as the match goes on (playing against only 5 players makes it kinda easier to score :p)
DP simply gives you A LOT better chances of hurting (Badly Hurt/SI/Death) that would disallow your opponent to bring that player on agian for the rest of the match. Especially against high-quality players its good if they cant play anymore. Thats why people use DP and fouls, to win games! (ok a few twisted people do it to ruin the fun of everyone else, or so I´ve heard, I´ve never met one yet though Smile)
Quite simple really!
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

WAAAAAAAAAAAH! another fouling thread, make it stop please god make it stop. Crying or Very sad

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Go start a blocking thread......
* I dont understand why people use blocks to try and destroy my team *

no offence power axis but you really are flogging a dead horse..............There is another topic on this and it has been running well over a year LOL

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Poweraxis, your talking out of your arse sorry m8. I played you like 2 hours ago. You killed my Goblin By FOULING on turn 8 of the 2nd half, I didnt foul you... I dont have dirty player. Did I care, pfft no way, lucky a Doctor was near by to save the little bugger. No one cares about fouling and whats the point in writing a nice big post about fouling when you do it yourself????

Basically the talk on fouling is over tbh, theres nothing more that can be said about it.

Inquisitorpustus watches naked animals.
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing personal guys... not that I wan't to get into an 'ethics of fouling in Blood Bowl' debate EVER AGAIN, but the "other post" about fouling is bull****. If someone brings up something serious all you do is bash them. I realize that some of you have been here for a long time. That is still no reason to verbaly assault new people for trying to contribute to the community. The forums are here for everyone, yes? They are here to discuss issues relevant to Fumbbl and Blood Bowl, yes? Hmmm, fouling seems to fit in that catagory. If you are tired of reading about fouling, ignore the posts that discuss it (wow that's alot of ignoring!). Otherwise try to be constructive or just remember that a person is sitting on the other side, typing their thoughts into here and not looking to be insulted by a bunch or self-rightous 'good-ole boys'.

/rant off

Poweraxis-
Personally I try to use DP to get a tactical advantage early in a match. Taking out a big guy is SOOO worth losing a lino with DP. IMO

...ok, you can flame me now....
Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2004 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

but that doesnt mean i havent already come across a few that tried. there are several that need to learn what sportsmanship is... and even a few that their parents need to be flogged for not teaching it to them.

Sounds to me like the 1st shot was fired by the original poster. The reply from Stevie seems well deserved.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2004 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well put poweraxis, most DP teams are here to destroy other teams. I also agree that it is a lot easier to do it in this kind of setting instead of face-to-face. I disagree that DP is necessary in order to do damage with a foul. If you do foul, it is likely that you will break the armor with a few assists. DP usually comes into play on the injury roll, making it a skill used to casualty other players. While this is a valid tactic and is perfectly legal, it is kind of underhanded and the gain is minimal.

Do not lose hope poweraxis, there are others here that feel the same way as you. We are just in the minority. I for one hate having to do a coach lookup and searching for 3 DPs before accepting a game with a random person. Otherwise I risk that game turning into the retirement of a team I spent months building.

Kevin
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2004 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

An idea:

You my dear admin can't you make a general threed beneth tactics and strategt called "Foul"

Newcommers like that threed and older ones are upset by it.
razta

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2004 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think everyone that complains about fouling should go a "how not to get fouled bootcamp" its not that hard not to get fouled.

1. NEVER run around with your top star blitzer/wardancer/etc etc in the back of someones field. that is how you become an easy target for a nice boot in the face

2. Never run alone. 2-3 guys next to eachother is usualy enough not to get blitzed->fouled->killed

3. Dont use oneturners.

4. Dont have a stupid skaven lineman(or chaoswarrior) with claw/rsc/block/tackle

5. Dont overuse your best players. ie. if you have a good wardancer. try to blitz with the other wardancer with 6 spp. first he needs the spp from the possible cas. then your opp most likeley will save the DirtyPlayer for teh good one. I know this is kinda chickenstyle. but hey. if you dont want a boot. then dont run alone with that 200+ Wardancer Wink

6. Dont foul back. opp will get ejected after ~3 fouls average if you dont foul back. if you foulback. hell get ejected every ~6 fouls

well if you want more tip jsut ask me on irc.

Last edited by razta on %b %01, %2004 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2004 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone has a dirty player it doesn't mean he is a prick who is only out to kill teams it just means he's a smart player. Every team should really have one dp for certain situations in which they are extremely usefull in helping you win, yes i said it, DP is a skill that can help you win the game not just be maliciouse. So quit bitching about it and just play the game already it's in the rules.