29 coaches online • Server time: 07:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

For the longest time I followed the conventional wisdom of guard first. And for the longest time I was left unsatisfied by the experience.

So I created Nuffle's Bartenders where the first skill bar the Roller was always Mighty Blow. And the results have been much better than my other dwarf team so far.

Now I talked to Bazakastine and he reckoned it could just be a fluke given the small amount of games. He also reckoned it could be that it fits my style and also taking the Roller can help with a lack of guard simply by consuming 2-3 players at a time and Guard being his first skill bar Stats or Dubs. I reckoned that part of it is that I really do a lot better when I have a man advantage in front of me, and while that's probably true for most coaches, it's much more true for me as a coach.

What has your experience been if you've tried both? Why do you think this fits me more than guard first? And would my experience sway anyone who is staunchly in the 'guard first' mode of operation?
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should have guard and mb evenly, to have a balanced team. My suggestion.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

FinnDiesel wrote:
I think you should have guard and mb evenly, to have a balanced team. My suggestion.

Would you just alternate or have quotas for the team? More infos!
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2018 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Back when my beard was still weak and I used to play dorfs before discovering the noble and dignified Khemri way, I used a 2-to-1 guard-to-MB ratio for the first skill of my LBs, starting with a MB. That's just me though.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Without guards wont you struggle to get 2DBs against sides like Chaos, Orcs and Nurgle? Though against other s3 sides probably the mighty blow will get you the players up to then turn the screw.

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Having 1MB asap on a blitzer or troll slayer greatly increases the chances of doing good damage, and should be first priority for dwarf
Kondor

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I've done both. In order to get games in Ranked play I avoided MB almost completely and went Guard and then Stand Firm on the entire team. 16/6/6

In the box I started with Mb first but found that the MB players outpaced the TV on the rest of the team too quickly putting too much emphasis on the success or failure of one or two players. I am trying to even it out now with more Guard/Stand Firm. 37/24/15. Granted most of those games were in a Piling On environment.

My Black Box tournament team is 9/7/4 so it takes a little while to get it going.

Few players have really faced a team of mass Stand Firm. It is an obstacle that is not easily countered.
juck101

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2018 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I agree mass guard SF is not common which is a surprise when you have seen how powerful it is with the ability to make a wall
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2018 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

First two to skill is guard, then add MB.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2018 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

dont play dorfs
if you choose to ignore this, you should take guard on the linemen abominations, then mb, others (except runner abominations) take mb first.
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2018 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

@mrt So following up to your question, there is a quota but you do want you want so here is my suggestion - MB on the dorf blitzers for blitzing and Guard for the tuff linemen which can be followed up to mb for more skills.

Or take all mb to get Guard quickly on everyone

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2018 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer to take Guard first then Mighty Blow on Dwarfs.
I can take Mighty Blow before Guard on 1-2 players if the team is new, but generally Guard will have the priority, especially now that without PO you need to generate casualties through quantity of blocks with mass Guard rather than quality blocks with POMB.
Dwarfs struggle to advance if they can't block their way to the Endzone and Guard is better for that.
Vs average ST teams like Humans maybe Guard doesn't make a big difference, but when facing higher-than-average ST teams like Orcs and Khemri Guard spam really helps a lot.
 Jump to: