22 coaches online • Server time: 01:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
captain_anarchy

Post 1 Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 08:13 Reply with quote Back to top

in my last post someone suggested insead of b*tching about how much irc sucks create an alternative. i think i will.

i need some help... i was thinking of simply a site displaying players icq,msn,aim. i am not sure which to use(or all) nad how this website should be layed out and work. any suggestions will be great. i have a basic idea. but its to basic. in the mean time if anyone else out there is having trouble with there irc and looking for a game plz send me a message or my msn is there conntact me
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll aid ye. Seeing as how you live like 3 hours from me, you can't be all that bad, aye? Aye. Besides, I'm not all that fond of IRC. I could help setup such a page, I've been needing an excuse to buy some webspace anyways. It's kinda late right now, so I'll have to keep my reply short for now. But I'd definitely be interested in helping setup an 'archive' of contacts available to play BB (through Fumbbl) using various chat programs/clients.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

If you decide to setup an alternative, consider this:

1) Please make it crossplatfom. Not everyone is using Microsoft Windows. It should be available for a least Windoze, Linux, OS X.
2) If you need software, be sure it is multi-lingual, and available for download for free without any annoying registration.
3) Make sure it scales well. I.e, this "new solution" should work even if there is _thousands_ of people chatting together.

IRC provides ALL the above. So any alternative should provide the same functionality as a minimum.
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

True enough. Though.. provide the same functionality as a minimum in comparison to IRC? Many of the people interested are those without access (for whatever reason, banned, g-line,etc) to IRC and simply looking for an alternative to finding a game. I think it's a bit harsh to demand 'equal functionality'. Wink

Last edited by Aequitas on %b %08, %2004 - %09:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Your page would have to check, wheather a coach wants to play, which teams he wants to play etc...
razta

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

it also should be irc compatidlbe. if someone on your page is lfg some bot should spam it on irc. and the otherway. otherwise we will ahve 2 sets of coaches those using irc and those who ain. and these 2 will prolly never paly eachother.
Kruppe

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

What about a matchup page on fumbbl.

On a players overview page he can checkmark which teams he will play and other players can click his team on the matchup page. A littel box a la skillroll box appears on the first players screen and he can choos to accept. If he starts a game his teams will no longer be available on the matchup page.
Mnemok

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Kruppe: Great idea, no idea how to make it though.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is people never logout (solved with timeouts) and the nature of http is conectionless, so unless you do java/script/flash/black magic you have trouble doing things as easily and as well as IRC. I too thought of something like this but IRC just works. It would be cool to have somesort of matchup program like blizzard for instant games of equal strength (not neccisarily STR, since you know the specific teams playing each other you can do some more complex comparisons of skills, etc.) Actually that is something interesting to do on its own even if it was never used for fumbbl.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Or just join the new irc server lol....the proper one now.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I would gladly do that... the problem is that i am banned from the new server whitout having ever loged on to it...

I've e-mailed theyr support and they wont remove my ban...

Unless someone chooses a new irc server for bbowl i wont be abble to play it anymore...
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

there is another new server
not austnet anymore. fumbbl server. read the new news.

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2004 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't get in for some damn reason.......
Jarnageddon

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2004 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

me neither, at least not with mIRC, I can get in with chatzilla but I'm not a big fan of that method