35 coaches online • Server time: 14:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is TEAM STRENGHT relevent???
Yes, it is the most important thing, even more then TR
62%
 62%  [ 72 ]
Yes, but only out of curiosity
16%
 16%  [ 19 ]
No, not really. Does not affect my choice of game/opponent
18%
 18%  [ 22 ]
Not sure
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 116

Diamond5119

Post 22 Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there people. There is something I have noticed lately. Maybe it has been going on like that for a while, but only recently have I really been back into bloodbowl.

I never really had trouble with TR, but more and more it seems, some people are looking only at the Team Strenght to decide about accepting a match or not. Last I check, that was something that was created by FUMBBL, has no official value, yet for some people, it is more then a bible. Then, if so, what is TR for then??? If team strenght is sooooo important, why don t people get an handicap of some sort, just like with TR. I mean, more and more, i challenge people, and I get challenge. But whenever I challenge someone that as the same or about the same TR (+/- 10), very often I get told that the TS is too high (even by 5 points I was once told!!) and that made it too hard for them to win. I thought the handicap table was there for that, and to compensate for the difference with the TR.

So I am asking myself this: is Teams Strenght really relevent?? Should people be allowed to decide on a matchup just by looking at the TS??? If so, then maybe there should be some re-calculation or something. Because it is getting more and more of a problem to find game.

I haven t refused matchup yet that were offered to me, and I dont even look at what is offered, (except out of curiosity most of the time!) because I believe in FAIRPLAY, SPORTSMANSHIP and the simple LOVE OF THE GAME and LOVE OF A GOOD GAME. (a good game being a close game that could go either way at all time, based on everything that can happen in a game, including handicap rolls and stuffs, like misses...)

So I am asking this...is TS really relevent???

Diamond5119
Diamond5119

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

If you vote, at least explain your vote here. Prove that it is not something that you just clicked on for the simple fact of clicking on it!
thmbscrws

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Team rating is an important number because it determines winnings and handicaps and stuff like that but is generally a poor indicator of how good a team is as it includes mng players and money in your treasury and spps that haven't given you a skill yet etc. Team strength is not perfect but it is a much better indicator of how good the team will actually play in the game and thats why most people use it to find match ups instead of tr. Str and tr are typically pretty close to each other anyway so it usually isn't a problem unless one team is missing players for the game. That said, team str is a worthless number in stunty leeg for a lot of reasons as anyone who plays a lot of stunty can tell you.

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As the guy just pointed out, it's simply more accurate to describe how good the team is. Usually, both number are close so it shouldn't cause any problems for finding games. However you may run into some problems when it's uneven.

Basically, if you've got too much STR some people might be put off by that and stronger teams won't want to give you an handicap. When it's too low, then you may be facing tougher competition than what your TR might suggest you can take on. This usually occurs when you have a lot of "Miss Next Game".

To me team STR is very relevant, it's not perfect but it works.

- Uber

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

thmbscrws is right.

TR includes some stuff that is irrelevant to your team's performance in a match.

Especially when arranging match-ups in an open-style league, it is my initial reaction that TS is MORE important, since I'm happy to cop a handicap, but being badly outnumbered or outskilled makes the game conform to fewer of Diamond5119's admirable characteristics of a Good Game. (less close, less uncertain).

And that's why I think it's good. Especially with the mngs giving you TR but not actually a player!
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I havn't voted due to the complete lack of any relevant option in your poll

Team strength is just the value of how well your team can cope in its next match (regardless of the other teams skill picks)

TR is the measure of how well the coach is controlling the team, personally I ignore TS and just match up on TR and look at the roster, cause TS can't guage skill picks against each other or tell you what the likely game plan of the other coach is like, ie are they going to try and hurt your team rather than outscore you, in which case I would wait till my team was not missing injuries etc
Sparticus

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

HUGE NO.......

ppl are putting way to much attention into team Str, but it can be a usefull tool, such as if you are a few players down, then you can try and find someone in the same boat, but when a team is FORTUATE enough to roll a few stat increases, or doubles they shouldnt be punished excessively for it.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

TS cannot replace a good look at the rooster, but it gives you a fairly good view on how the chances are in the game. Usually 5% up or down are really close matches, which are those being the most fun.
There are also some coaches, that look on TS for coach-rating-reason, as you have barly anything to win but lots of stuff to loose, if you play down.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm beginning to agree with grum. Shocked

When I first started on fumbbl team STR was the way I picked games... as a judge of your teams ability to win its next game it is not totally inaccurate... but that is if you play to sacrifice your team if necessary, which just isn't really expected in an open league where you hope your teams will stay around for many games in the future. Now I only use STR to notice if a team has many injuries or mng before I check the roster.

If it is changed to reflect a teams potential over a long lasting league format that ranked is, then it would be more useful. At the moment it undervalues high armour ratings and killer skill combinations like claw + RSC.
PhilMan

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

reading the posts already, i agree with grumbledook, i havnt voted as thwere isnt an option that i agree with, ST is a good indicator of how well the team is coping at this moment in time, but TR is a much better measure of overall team performance
2 treams that have the same TR but vastly different TS are going to have a very unbalanced game, but 2 teams with vastly different TR but similer TS will have a much more balanced game, usully

"Best Bar in This Street"
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook wrote:
I havn't voted due to the complete lack of any relevant option in your poll

That gets my vote Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Im not voting either mainly because while TR and TS are good indicators of how a team is going to perform looking at the roster is a far better idea
Diamond5119

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Grum...about the fact that TS does not show anything about the skill of the coach. You can have a high TS (as I have seen) and still make some very bad mistake when playing which turns the game around and render the TS evaluation completly flawed...
Azurus

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Diamond5119 wrote:
I agree with Grum...about the fact that TS does not show anything about the skill of the coach. You can have a high TS (as I have seen) and still make some very bad mistake when playing which turns the game around and render the TS evaluation completly flawed...

True, but TR is flawed in exactly that same way. It's not really possible to take a player's mistakes into account BEFORE you've played the game...

I too couldn't vote for the lack of a reasonable option.

My opinion is that TR and TS are both useful, but as others have stated, the roster itself is by far the best way to tell the strength of a team.
monboesen

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2004 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

My opinion is that TR and TS are both useful, but as others have stated, the roster itself is by far the best way to tell the strength of a team.

I don't put much faith in either TR or TS. I will usually try to avoid handicaps and then take a look at the opponents team rooster to insure that its likely that I will enjoy the game. And as mentioned above it is a problem that TS infaltes hugely with stat increases, that can make it very difficult to get games without conceding several handicaps.
 Jump to: