52 coaches online • Server time: 21:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lamoron

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2004 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Dump-Off (Passing Skill)
This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opposing player declares that he will throw a block at him, allowing the player to get rid of the ball before he is hit. Work out makes his block. The normal throwing rules apply, except that neither team’s turn ends as a result of the throw, whatever it may be. After the throw is worked out your opponent completes the block, and then carries on with his turn.

LRB 3.0 - page 34.

Scenario: My Ballcarrier with Dump-off is two squares from the opponent endzone, and I have another player IN the endzone, but because of something stupid, I caused a turnover, so it's his turn.

He Blitzes my Ballcarrier, and I make a dump-off to my guy IN the endzone, wich is caught, logically causing a touchdown.

But the skill description states, that the opponent carries on with his turn no matter the result:
The normal throwing rules apply, except that neither team’s turn ends as a result of the throw, whatever it may be.

So what happens?

1. My player catches the ball, causing a Touchdown, using up one of my team turns (as per the rules), immediatly ending the play.
- In that case, does he still complete the block against my ballcarrier?

2. His turn continues, allowing him to make the block against my former Ballcarrier, and doing whatever else he could normally do in a turn.
- Should he by chance have another player, by my player who caught the ball, does he get a chance to block that player out of the endzone? thus preventing the touchdown next turn?

I'm even confusing myself
MixX

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2004 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that the rules for scoring a touchdown says something about the turn ending immediately, in which case that would take precedence over the Dump Off rules. In a tabletop game I'd say that the block would be carried out, after which the TD would be scored, and the turn ended. But I'm not 100% sure...
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2004 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a 100% sure - you score.

I forget the passage in the lrb but thats the outcome.

The client will certainly regard it as a touchdown.

Now laugh at your opponent for being a bit of a retard Laughing

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

1. My player catches the ball, causing a Touchdown, using up one of my team turns (as per the rules), immediatly ending the play.
- In that case, does he still complete the block against my ballcarrier?

Yes and yes

2. His turn continues, allowing him to make the block against my former Ballcarrier, and doing whatever else he could normally do in a turn.
- Should he by chance have another player, by my player who caught the ball, does he get a chance to block that player out of the endzone? thus preventing the touchdown next turn?

No (except for completing the blitz block rolls for AV and INJ) and no
memola

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don´t know what would happen, but what should is: Block end (roll dices, armor and injury rolls) and then TD for you.
the_grey_ghost

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The only way that can work is like so. The Dump off gets done and any pass roll associated with it. Then the Block must go ahead before the Catch roll gets compleated.

An interesting scenario might be the Blitzer having Pass block, allowing the blocker to block the ball carrier and then chase after the reciever all in the one action.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

surley he'd blitz your player out of the endzone first Wink makes for a safer target thasn the ball carrier....

Post 10 Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

the_grey_ghost wrote:
An interesting scenario might be the Blitzer having Pass block, allowing the blocker to block the ball carrier and then chase after the reciever all in the one action.

The Player that blocks the ball carrier pass blocks the dump off? Laughing
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Well what if the player dumped-off to a player in the endzone, but the thrower attacked was right next to the receiver. The block was then worked out as normal (everyone agrees on this). As a result of chain pushing however, the thrower is blocked into the receiver, who is then pushed off the field. (Unlikely but hey - requires other push back squares to be blocked). So is the try still scored?

Oscar Wilde
roos

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Another interesting scenario is that the reciever in the endzone gets chainpushed out of the pitch, what happens then?

/roos
MixX

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm... some seriously crazy scenarios there... could happen, of course..
luiserdom

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

If the receiver was going to be chainpushed into the crowd, I don't know what would happen, but the thrower would probably not choose to pass him the ball, keeping the ball in order to score himself if he doesn't get knocked, as he would be pushed into the endzone (and thus scoring).
Held

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The TD is scored BEFORE anyone is pushed. You just have to find the result of the block. And that should make it impossible for the Blitzer (Blocker) with pass block to go for the ball. Then he does not block the player so no Dump Off can be played. Which leads to the Blocker/Blitzer is not able to pass block... You see? Nice loop...
MixX

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

you can't Pass Block a pass resulting from a Block you make yourself... I'm not sure where I saw it, but I'm pretty sure it's been clarified at least semi-officially..
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2004 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

the_grey_ghost wrote:
The only way that can work is like so. The Dump off gets done and any pass roll associated with it. Then the Block must go ahead before the Catch roll gets compleated.

I'm not sure where this idea came from, the LRB states pretty clearly that the pass is worked out as normal (i.e. make INT attempt, pass roll, catch roll, scatter roll if applicable) then the block is carried out as normal.

If the ball was caught by the receiver in the end zone, this would be a TD not immediately, but at the end of the block being worked out (since it would be the end of the blocking player's action). The LRB 3.0 states that a TD is scored if a player is standing in the end zone at the end of any player's action.

In other words, the blocking team's turn would not (as such) be ending as a result of the dump off pass itself ( per the skill description ), but rather after the block action is completed as a result of the player standing with the ball in the end zone at the end of another player's action.

roos wrote:
Another interesting scenario is that the reciever in the endzone gets chainpushed out of the pitch, what happens then?

/roos

I would say that there would be no TD in this case, since there was no player standing in the end zone with the ball at the end of a player's action, the poor guy was chainpushed OOB as a result of working out the block.

Held wrote:
The TD is scored BEFORE anyone is pushed. You just have to find the result of the block.

Erm...isn't working out pushbacks part of working out the result of the block? The follow up is part of the result of the block, a Blitzing player can't continue to move until the pushback part of his block has been resolved after all... if the thrower got Blitzed rather than Blocked, the Blitzer would even get to finish his move before the TD would be scored, although there wouldn't really be anything he could do about it at that point.

Finally:

From the wording of the Dump Off rule, I would say the 'neither team's turn ends as a result of the throw' was simply a heavy handed phrase put in to stop rules lawyers from claiming that since a opposing player failed a catch roll when the Dump Off scattered and landed on them that it was a turnover or the like...after all, why otherwise bother to specify neither team's turn ending? It's not like a turn that isn't taking place could logically end...yet a particuarly beardy coach might try to claim that since the pass was fumbled (if it was) the fumbling team loses their next turn... Rolling Eyes
 Jump to: