36 coaches online • Server time: 14:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CAB

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If passing is not reliable then people will just build fast catcher/runners, forgoing pass at all.
Getting 2 or 3 skills on a Thrower just to have a so-so passing option is not worth it.

This is probably quite doable and something you can choose to do... but you can also run a quick pass thrower as a running thrower... it will not require any skills except a decent passing stat. Give the Block and Leader and that's it. You have to option for a longer pass in situations that are a bit dire but it will not be reliable.

With ONE skill Accurate a 3+ thrower will avoid WI on all Quick and Short Passes and so become a quite reliable short range passer. They do a Quick at 2+ and Short at 3+ and only ever Fumble in a natural "1"

A 2+ thrower only need Cannoneer... they now never WI on any Long or Bomb pass and pass a Quick at 2+ and Long on a 3+. You also never WI on a Quick pass unless you are marked or something. If you want to be even more reliable you also get "Cloud Burster" to make deflections much less of a risk too, but that is a luxury skill.

There also is a way to take a cheap random Passing skill after you taken the one you need... you can generally make them all work for little investment at that point. It all depend on the length of the league.

My Human thrower got Dump Off, Nerves of Steel and Hail Mary as three random skills and I managed to work with him quite well... but I only did this as a fun thing. If I were in a proper league I would probably have chosen "Cannoneer" first and then maybe selected a random passing skill or saved up for "Cloud Burster". I probably would also want a leader thrower with "Block" and "Leader" as a defensive thrower... there are many ways you can tailor a thrower now if you wish with only one or two skills. They should get enough SPP to reach two chosen skills pretty fast.

I would personally probably carry over at least one thrower from season to season in every league that I play. Catchers progress very fast so those are probably not a priority which leaves one or two Blitzers and perhaps if I have a good Lineman, perhaps a Kicker. The rest of the team can be rookies at the start of a new season.
neubau

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

CAB wrote:

The difference is that you have to choose if you want a long range or short range thrower. All throwers will still make quick passes reliably.

how is this not a nerf, when before throwers could do both easily?

mate, people wanted passing to be a more viable playstyle. instead, passing will happen less often (your own words). people dislike that.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

In isolation, passing is less reliable than before and has the WI result which, imo, will more often than not, be worse than a fumbbl.

Other rules changes may be encouraging people to try passing more often, but fundamentally, the math is worse
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If passing is not reliable then people will just build fast catcher/runners, forgoing pass at all.
Getting 2 or 3 skills on a Thrower just to have a so-so passing option is not worth it.

Leader and "On the Ball" are the two passing skills I am expecting see people want. If Cannoneer ends up cancelling Wild that might be of use. I also want to try and make use of Fumblerookie but I am not convinced it will actually be useful since you have to drop it in a square you are leaving meaning it is MA-1 for actual progression and hand off is still MA+1 and quick pass is MA+3
PrivateNiCeGuY

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
And its only possible on a result of a 1 after modification so looks like this Image

Which makes no sense really

It needs an faq to change the wording to 1 or less.

Dont know if it has come up but in the "Learn to play - Passing the ball" video on the GW site they say "modified 1 or lower" is a wildly inaccurate pass

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/20/jim-bob-present-how-to-paint-and-play-blood-bowl/
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

That was always my assumption for how it was meant to work.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

So, a Fumble happens just with natural 1 and Wildly Inaccurate with modified 1 or lower? Right?
Pretty please, may somebody make a table with WI happening with modified 1 or lower?
steinerp

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

It is the same table just anything between WI and F is also WI. That is assuming that the video is correct which they often aren't
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If that right then does that mean no matter how good a thrower you have its 3 in 6 of WI pass on long bomb?
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=HTmlBNADHXI

Wildly inaccurate only when the result after modifiers is a 1.

Edit: already been clarified.

@garion was right.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope that is wrong... it certainly does not support the rule book which are pretty clear that "Wildly Inaccurate" only happen on a modified die roll of "1".

If anything at one or below is WI that would be horrible in my opinion and not very fun... Sad

I liked the way that we tested it.

Not really sure why anyone in their right mind would start throwing long passes or using the Cannoner skill if there is a 1/6 chance to WI and 1/6 chance to Fumble the ball... that is just horrible.
AzraelEVA

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
If that right then does that mean no matter how good a thrower you have its 3 in 6 of WI pass on long bomb?

No the passing check needs to fail in order to become either inaccurate or wildly inaccurate.
So a roll of 2 with PA +1 and modifier of -1 is accurate since the passing roll passed.

The video supports that.
"If you roll equal to or higher than the players PA then you've nailed it" after that the video describes if you didn't pass the PA test.

So a long bomb with PA +1 is a 3 in 6 with cannoneer a 4 in 6

Last edited by AzraelEVA on %b %20, %2020 - %22:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

They need to overhaul passing completely. Its just a bit of a mess now.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with the passing is that you now get +0/-1/-2/-3 modifier on the dice roll when in BB2016 or older you had +1/+0/-1/-2.

If WI is 1 or less that means that passing is way more dangerous than it ever was in Blood Bowl. The Wildly Inaccurate result is in my opinion way worse than even a Fumble.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2020 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure I follow, and it's probably my fault to be fair.

So a PA 1+ rolls a 3 on a long bomb = 3-3 = 0 = Wildly Inaccurate?

Therefore roll of 1 = fumble, roll of 2-3 = WI, 4+ = accurate?
 Jump to: