23 coaches online • Server time: 07:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
End-zone to end-zone notation: which option?
Option 1 (FUMBBL)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Option 2 (endzones are +13 and -13, line is +1 and -1)
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Option 3 (alphabetical)
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Pie.
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2022 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so I'm getting my playbook together and have run into a problem. I've been working on a vertical pitch, but so much of BB (like FUMBBL) plays on a horizontal pitch. This is making me think that I need a terminology that works on both vertical and horizontal pitches, and is intuitive.

The key to my notation is this, and it's non-negotiable: the center column, equidistant from each sideline, is called "0". The columns to either side, I'm not particularly concerned with whether I settle on N1/S1, L1/R1, -1/+1, all depends on what's the least counterintuitive way, all else considered. After all, what really matters in terms of lateral thinking is distance from sidelines and/or midfield, no?

My first problem is this:

On a vertical pitch orientation, it's easy to see "upfield" and "downfield" with the defense at the bottom, makes a lot of intuitive sense, and that's how they call it in handegg, so there. In that case, "left and right" pertain to the defense's perspective. Conversely, on a horizontal pitch, the viewer wants to see the offense on the left, and to perceive things from the offense's perspective, left-to-right. This screws up any kind of "left and right" reading, because the viewer reads from the defense's perspective on the vertical, and the offense's perspective on the horizontal. North (defense's right) and south seems to be too FUMBBL-centric for me, a lot of coaches see the pitch on the vertical. I could use +/-, but only if I go for option 3 on the second problem.

The second problem:

Discussing the length of the pitch, there are three ways I see that I could play this.

1) the way FUMBBL does it. +0 is the offense's endzone; +1-12 are the receiving half, but as you go up the numbers, you're going downfield, which isn't very intuitive. Then -12 is the D-line, and then you go up the numbers again, up to -0 for an offensive TD. That's a little confusing on a horizontal pitch (up is down, down is up), but it works for the vertical, and besides, the guitar has the same problem and that doesn't deter anybody. In this case, I might as well use N and S for lateral notation. The best argument for this option is that FUMBBL already does it this way, but it also comes with the advantage that you can readily see how many squares you/they gotta move to score.

2) the opposite of the way FUMBBL does it, where +13 is the offense's endzone, +1 and -1 are the LOS, -13 is the defense's end zone. Feels more intuitive, numbers really work that way, but aside from being a bit less clunky than the first option, it's basically the same, though you need to do a little more math to figure out where you can score from (13-(MA + GFI)). But it doesn't have the advantage of being the way it looks in game.

3) alphabetical: A is the offense's end zone, Z is the defense's, the line is between M and N. The upsides to this are that it's simple and intuitive, and I would be able to use -7 to +7 for the width of the pitch. But it's kinda annoying when you need to describe vertical screens or gauge distances. "What's P minus 7, again?"

So, the poll is about problem 2. Issue #1 will have to wait for a resolution, and then should kinda solve itself.

Last edited by JackassRampant on Jan 10, 2022 - 20:59; edited 1 time in total
stej

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2022 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

A-Z down one side, whatever the numbers are across the width
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2022 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, running just left-right 1-15 is a thing I'm trying to avoid. It works in Chess because of the asymmetry of the left and right halves of the board, what with the Q vs K and the white and black bishops and all (doesn't hurt that the Chess board is also square, or that white and black don't trade drives on offense vs defense), but here, distance from center-pitch and/or sidelines is much more important than whether it's a left-handed or right-handed play. Also, it runs afoul of the same problem as "L-R" notation, where if the offense is on top or left, it's gotta be backwards in one orientation.