27 coaches online • Server time: 03:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Blood Bowl fans across the globe!!!!!

It is me..Milford your over the top reporter and always attempting to be the voice of the "people"

Oh, it has been a long and very challenging last 3 years for me. Got fired by FUMBBL, I then wandered the northern reaches of the Empire, going to hamlet to hamlet looking for some hope. I tried being a begger in the streets, failed, I tried to be a charcoal burner in the Dark Forest, failed...I even tried to be a street urchin, selling wares to unsuspecting tourist in Nuln, failed big time.

I found it interesting though of all the interesting and unique people of the Empire I met they would always tell me. "Milford why are you not covering FUMBBL majors? it is your passion and you have such a gift."

WTF? anybody heard of BB2020? Am I so drunk this is all a mirage?

At this point in my life even the GM of my Warhammer RPG game told me that...Milford, you are such a "downer" on the party...just go back to FUMBBL and cover majors.

ROCK BOTTOM!!!!

Oh, no good sir...this is my rebound!!!!

As I was sitting in the Rusty Anchor on the Row of 100 Taverns...refelecting, contemplating, brooding and pontificating...then it all came to me. Now was "my" time!

After sitting through a speech by some high falutting high elf on why I was a slacker and joke for even trying to form up a C tournament in the back alleys of the "row" the skies cleared...FUMBBL is back baby! Majors action!

I just got my offer "packet" from FUMBBL and off I go to Ulthuan...I do like that place...emerald looking coast lines of water and sand..The best pent house suites offered in the entire world.

So.... Lets get set guys. It is time once again to do battle on the Grid Iron and play some Blood Bowl. Get those teams primed and ready to apply to the UI XVIII.

Last edited by PainState on Aug 06, 2022 - 20:49; edited 5 times in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh...so you want to actually participate in this glorious tournament? You think you got what it takes?

Well, step up man..

Light side qualifier <<<hit the link to apply your team.
Any Competitive team of the following races ( Amazon, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, High Elf, Human, Imperial Nobility, Lizardman, Old World Alliance, Norse, Slann and Wood Elf.)

Dark side qualifier<<< hit this link to apply your team.
Any Competitive team of the following races (Black Orcs, Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Chaos Pact, Dark Elf, Goblin, Khemri, Khorne Necromantic, Orc, Nurgle, Skaven, Snotlings, Undead, Underworld, Vampire and Ogre)

Only teams in the C div will be allowed to enter. This is a no holds barred smack down tournament. C teams will be accepted as they are...no redraft, yet. So, old school FUMBBL Blood Bowl in a major...the way NUFFLE intended life to be.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Shindahl screams!
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice!
What about deadlines/schedule?
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor tips his hat to Mumford.

"Well done sir. I'll see you on the light side."

When do we hope to see the draw?
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Draw is August 3rd at 22:00 server time. Weekly deadlines after that as normal.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Garion26 wrote:
As a relative newcomer to FUMBBL can someone explain how this works?
Schedule games against your opponent per round
Once you lose you are out
Normal inducements you would get per TV matching with whoever you line up against, normal progression as in C?
What's the typical meta? Mostly biggest of the big teams?

Is someone convinced star players are broken going to purposefully take a small team into the event to prove that TV 1100 vs 1700 is an easy win if you have Morg and Griff?

Ok, Garion26...lets have this discussion for all the new guys on FUMBBL who have never experienced Tournament action on FUMBBL.

This is an interesting conversation all by itself Garion..I will or some one else will make a total new thread of conversation to get the new coaches on FUMBBL up to speed on on how C majors/minors will work.

just hold tight...we will get back to this.

How C majors/minors work is that you will apply your team to the group, the links I set up above.

So, for the Aug 3 "draw" of the Ulthuan Inivitaional all the coaches who applied a team will then be put into a qualifier group. This group will be, normally, a 8 team KO style tournament. You lose, you are out and if you win, advance. Once the winners of the qualifier groups are determined they advance to the "main". Now, Majors are structured for 16 Qualifier groups and then 16 "Main" teams get put into the final bracket to determine the winner.

When you are accepted to the qualifier group you will notice that your C team is scheduled against another team. That is who you are playing against. Scheduled teams will not be able to enter the gamefinder and they are locked.

Some tournaments like the UI have special rules on which qualifier you can apply to. Some, like the FUMBBL cup are just one big single bracket tournament.

Now, here is the deal with Tournament action. It is random, so you can be put in a qualifier group of coaches from various regions on FUMBBL. You might be set up to play a coach who is -8 hours or +12 hours ahead of your normal playing time. Communication with that coach is required and there is a base understanding of all coaches on FUMMBL that when it comes to tournaments you attempt to come up with a agreed upon time to play. It can be a challenge, i get that. Make PM chains so if, not normally, there is a dispute at the "hard" deadline of round you can make a appeal on why you should be handed a forfeit...This is not normal in a Major but it does happen from time to time.

Now with the conversion to BB2020 the site and the current rules are still in flux. The UI and the FUMBBL Cup will will be a mix of the old style tournament format. This can change at any time based on what Christer and the admin have determined when it comes to the conversion. There will be a redraft in C...there will be a redraft base TV set at some point once the sites makes the final switch over.

Right now for the next 2 C Major tournaments they will be... the BB2020 rules...NO redraft, no limit on TV..No limits on teams. Could this change before the FUMBBL Cup, maybe, dont hold your breath if I read the tea leaves correctly.

Now, what does this mean on the actual pitch and we are playing games in the UI...Is it good to show up with a large TV team? Should I try to hit the middle TV band with a team of around 1300-1500 TV or just go in with a rookie or low skilled TV1100 team.? Well, it is the wild west in the UI this year. I will lets others discuss how they think the best approach will be to getting your team ready.

I suspect that coaches who have been playing in the C div since its launch and have some teams with high TV and a large # of games played...might be considered the front runner? Iam not so sure..a lot of those teams are tier 3 teams like ogres.

As FUMBBL moves forward, you can check out the tournament page...FUMBBL tournaments. These at some point will all come back online and so there will be some form of C tournament action taking place every month. This will all be announced by the tournament admins as this is all fleshed out with the BB2020 conversion.

Hope this helps the new guys to FUMBBL on how tournament action will work in the C div.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

That’s really helpful, thank you.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

In 2016, generally, larger TV teams did better. And we did have games with upwards of 1500k tv worth of inducements.

With 2020, as Painstate mentioned, it will be wild west, but inducements are stronger. I think games with 1500k tv difference will still go to the larger team, but games in the 150-600k difference will probably be a lot closer.

I intend to enter, and I doubt I'll be able to get much above 1400k TV before the draw. But I think, due to the increased strength of inducements, that I'll at least have a shot even against the biggest teams.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Very helpful Painstate and Nelphine

Another question -
Do you earn SPP and develop the team during this tournament?
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2022 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion26 wrote:
Very helpful Painstate and Nelphine

Another question -
Do you earn SPP and develop the team during this tournament?

Yes

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2022 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Milford stands on top of the 4th tower of the wizards college of magic in Altdorf. He has all his bags packed and is very excited to get off to Ulthuan and begin coverage of the UI tournament. He even shaved and is dressed up in his sunday best, oh, man....back in the game...he is JACKED.

After 30 minutes he is wondering if this is a prank..the grey wizard Modius the eagle haired has not shown up yet. He was told Modius was going to transport him to the Palace of Prince Yorloran, a fellow magic user and avid fan of Blood Bowl in Ulthuan.

Milford finally gives up and just sits down on one of the benches and going over some of his notes in his journal when a shadow appears over his shoulder, he looks up.

Standing over him like a titan is the grey wizard Modius, a magic user of great reputation and age. His grey cloak is flowing in the wind of the tower and his penetrating gaze gives off a aura of great wisdom. Milford was told this is the dude that transported the Emperor himself into the middle of the battle of Fairfield in the moot to defeat the rampaging hordes of Gorka Tech, the black orc halfling butcher.

Milford stands up and offers his hand to shake hands with a legend. Sadly the wizard just peers at him as he leans on his staff.

"so, you are the one that FUMBBL has commanded me to take you to Ulthuan."

"Well, I would say command is overstating things a bit...The Buccaneers offered to take me on their ship but Iam very excited and wanted to get there fast."

Modius shifts his weight, leans on his staff and bends over and looks at Milfords baggage...he seems to being "weighing" him, not just his actual size but something else..

"Iam very grateful that you will take me with you good sir. I have heard of your reputation and it is a great honor for me to meet some one of your standing. I have to say I do not know what to do, so, it would be very kind if you could instruct me on how to proceed. I will admit Iam a little anxious on what is about to happen."

Modius looks at him and gives him a wink, which startles Milford...this is not good.

"Mr Milford I to am looking forward to the UI as Iam a big fan of FUMMBL. I just wanted to take a measure of the man Iam about to transport. I do not use my gifts for mere scrubs. I have not been to Ulthuan in many years and look forward to the tournament and hob nobbing with some of my Elven bretheren, are you ready?"

Milford reaches for his baggage and then BANG!!!!!!!

Milford looks around and is on top a tall wizards tower...The ocean is all around him and Modius is standing next to him. Milford looks up at Modius and he has some smile on his face, like he did something he has not done in a long time.

"Here we are Mr Milford...Ulthuan, the land of magic and wonder."

A door on the top of the Wizard tower opens up and a very old looking High elf wizard walks out and embraces Modius...Oh good friend...it has been years. My servants have all your quarters set up. Iam so happy you could come. The wizards walk off and leave Milford on top of the tower all by himself.

Where are my bags? Are you kidding me...That old wizard transported me across the globe to a wizard tower, I have no baggage, all my stuff is still in Altdorf and I have 7 gold crowns in my pocket..No clue on where the hotel is and even where in the hell he is on the continent of Ulthuan.

"Sir...the master says to bugger off and please leave his tower."

Milford looks at the High Elf servant and gives him the gaze of death, which some how he survives his saving throw ,Milford is marched to the bottom of the tower and kicked out.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2022 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

So, Iam thinking about the up coming UI tournament. I thought it would be good to maybe look at the current teams in the C div.
Team lists on FUMBBL

Sort that list by TV or games played and it will give you a good idea of what is about to happen IF a large group of C players decide to throw a team into the UI.

Here are just MY thoughts on this based on my limited # of games so far with bb2020.

Inducements are a very big thing in BB2020..way more than previous editions.

The team I have applied is the Buccaneers 2020. Now they only have 3 games under their belt.

I will have some time to get some more games but lets be honest...they might enter the UI with like 8 games. So, my plan, is to hire up to 14 players..Sit around the 1250 TV range. Iam not going to buy more rerolls or do anything to inflate TV, besides hire one more player. That way IF I do run across a much larger TV team I can get Griff, Morg or Zug for free and maybe another low cost Star or use it on a Wizard or bribes/babes and let it rip.

IMO the UI is most likely going to see in qualifier a lot of matches with large TV gaps. This will settle out a little in the Main but not totally.

SO, I think you should look at your team you are putting forward to play and decide on one of the three choices.

#1 Go for a high TV..Not artifical TV like getting 7 rerolls and a bunch of coaches/cheers. Real TV on your roster in the form of skills/16 players. Overwhelm the other team with just size and skills.

#2 Go for that mid range of 1300-1500 TV and have a good core of players. Rely on the inducements if you run across a TV giant type team but not giving up a lot of inducements if you run across a smaller team. They wont have access to the high power inducements and you should be able to handle them

#3 Just get in the UI with a rookie team or new team around 1100TV...a tier 1 team with a lot of base skills. Then if you play some games focus on getting 14 players and then ride the inducements as far as you can, Vegas soul man, roll those dice and see what happens.

Just my thoughts.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2022 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorting the above list by Race will also give you a good idea of what types of teams in certain TV ranges you will find.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2022 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Fine writing PainState! Made me chuckle.
Dark-side last time (mid-TV). So I’ll try the Light for this my second UI.
It will be low TV as I’ve not built any teams up - I expect that is fairly common. So not anticipating a Morg sized pile of inducement gold for the first round match. Will be fun whatever : )