42 coaches online • Server time: 18:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EuchreJack

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking about how Passing is generally the worst thing to do when you are winning or tied, and should only be done when you are losing and running is unlikely to be successful.

So then I asked: If I had to dodge three times, would that be better or worse than passing?

I'm thinking the dodging would be better, but I haven't done the math to compare.
Two scenarios:
1) No skills on any players
2) Some skills on players (dodging player has Dodge, passing players have a typical starting Thrower/Catcher skillset)

I'm also just green enough not to be sure if other skills would be useful for the dodging player, and how many they would likely have.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to check quickly the chance % of a dice sequence you can use Samba Action Calculator (courtesy of Elyoukey):

http://www.elyoukey.com/sac/

about comparing passing vs dodging, you should be more specific about the distance (Quick, Short, Long, Long Bomb), the throwing player's PA and the receiving player's AG, you should consider whether the ball could be intercepted by an opposing player. Quite often, especially now with multi rr, you can move the ball in a relative safe way by running, trying 1-2 Rushes, handing it off.
Also, you should be more specific about the dodging: dodges at 2+? 3+? 4+?
Do you have Dodge skill? How many rrs?
PainState

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well now that Dodging and Passing are no longer tied to the same AG value...inless you have a dedicated passer, dodging is always better.

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to stipulate that passing while winning is only bad if you are winning by 1 point Smile passing is great during blowouts.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd summarise what you said to this: "passing should only be done when [...] running is unlikely to be successful"

Have a play with SAC that Matt linked.
Actually this one is more up to date https://www.bloodbowldave.com/
Don't forget you need to include the Catch roll as well

The Catch itself is likely to have a similar failure rate as the Dodge would have, which means the Pass option is almost always higher risk.. unless:
- dedicated passer
- you NEED the extra distance
- the dodge would be tricky

Don't rule out Passing, don't forget it exists. (Like how I always forget that you can jump over prone players)

And if you're in a comfortable sitation, you can Pass just to farm 1SPP
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean, I will never spend time breaking down math because.... I continue to be me but:

The problem with ignoring passing (as with many troubles faced by competent mid-level coaches) is that it absolutely is the best option when it is the best option.

One of the first things to work on after mastering basic concepts and formations is to know when to leave them behind. Passing is rarely the best option but cannot be ignored as AN option.

A lot of competent coaches are systemic, whereas the greats are situational. This applies to passing as much as anything. A 5+ with RR (pass skill) succeeds more than 50% of the time and if the pay off is a chance to score this turn (yes I know the catch needs to be made) it might be the right answer if you are out numbered and your cage can't proceed safely.

Passing is rarely the safe choice, but I think it's more often the right choice than current play styles in our meta would have you believe (to say nothing of the threat of passing!)

Post   Posted: May 04, 2023 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing is fun. Dodging is less fun. Also I count throwing players with big guys as passing.
 Jump to: