34 coaches online • Server time: 04:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nehver

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2004 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay coaches, I believe that we have had more than enough time to finish round one playoffs.
Not to mention that the rest of the playoff coaches are now being held up. Therefore I WILL be
handing out forfeits... tomorrow! This is to give you a last chance to get your games in.
You have 24 hours! I will be handing out the forfeits tuesday, 12 midnight (BB server time)
-Nehver
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2004 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

And beat the fast slowers in quarter final. I could not support to loose vs HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tane

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2004 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Halve the positionals? Hmm, why not. I'm not really for or against this one. Some observations though (I'm assuming 1 big guy allowed):

The teams winning here would be those teams with good linemen, the type capable not only of support but independent play - that would be Lizards, Elves and maybe Dwarves. The different variants of undead would all have to use zombies or skeletons (no big guys and only four positionals available) and in 5 vs 5 they suck. Chaos would be down to 2 warriors, but beastmen are still good as horns are better than usual in this format. Skaven? Down to 1 storm but the usual 2 gutter runners available. Add a rat ogre and a thrower and skaven look like winners. Chaos dwarf? Bull centaurs are what the team is about, taking one away really does hurt them.

The second subject, substitute players. Why? Having extra players available would have a drastic effect on the game, it would be a completely different format. There's already less casualties in this format as in "normal" games (less blocks available each turn, less unskilled players for easy (easier) casualties), with this wood elves (funny we don't have any yet) and skaven would rule thanks to all the room to run and less worries about casualties.

So a no to substitutes. And my team does have a cas diff of -4, so I'd supposedly benefit from them...
tane

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2004 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

And to clarify, by Elves I meant all the four different variants of elves. the basic Elves having the worst linemen of them.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2004 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I don´t really get your point. Right now, we have a strong number of undead and necro teams. Maybe because players think they are great in 5 vs 5. So if you change the format and if you say, other races will benefit, so what?
Go and create a team of the "stronger" races..
But, I don´t think one should cut the number of positionals. As good as they are, they dramatically increase your team rating. All of my last games I had 1 or 2 handicaps against me (and that even including firing coaches...), and in this 5 vs 5 format, that is a problem.
An example is the appearance fee that I could not pay and had to start with 4 players (made me loose the first play off game).
Actually, as strong my team is (in playing ball and causing cas), every time you start a game, you hope for mild handicaps.

Well that gets me thinking on my wish to ban some of the handicaps. Maybe, you have to live with it to play with only 4 players in this format if you run too luckily or have too many expensive positionals...

Question
Nehver

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay coaches,
I'm sorry it had to come to this, but I've handed out 2 forfeits for round one playoffs.
Please, I would not like to see any more games end this way. Let get the rest of the
round 2 games finished up, so we can get on with the campionship game... then onto
Season 2!

-Nehver
tane

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

My point?

Concerning positionals: I noted some observations on how this would affect different teams, nothing else. So people wouldn't overlook those points in deciding whether they are for or against the suggestion. Naturally some teams always benefit from some changes. If a change like this wouldn't affect any team in any way at all, I don't see how it would be a change?

Concerning substitutes: I'm trying to say that this would be a major change, unlike banning stars, restricting positionals or handicaps etc. In my opinion it would change the spirit of this league. I like things nice and simple, as they are.

On strong numbers of teams, here's a breakdown by races of the current active 16 teams: 4 skaven; 3 necro; 2 lizardmen, chaos dwarf, undead; 1 orc, khemri, chaos. Thus changes resulting in skaven (and to a lesser degree necro) being stronger (or more appealing, to be exact) should be discouraged, right?

-tane
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, Skaven are already a pretty strong team. And if you notice, the necro teams are not all the same. Sure, With Khemri I DO expect to see 3 mummies, but hey, that's what they get for ag 2 and crappy ballhandling abilities.

The only issue I would see is the 4 CW+mino team, but then again, they have crappy movement to pay for it, and probably a few rrs or low FF.

The 5*5 format as-is IS pretty good. I mean, my 5 man necro team has a tr of 120... whereas the avg team is in the 90-100 range. So, 1-2 handicaps in a 5*5 format is very painful... running late or morleys revenge can completely destroy the chances a team can have.

So, leave it as is, and just stop the really really harsh handicaps that automatically drop a player from the roster [It wasn't me, I'm the Greatest]. Other than those 2, the rest should be fine.

Z
Nehver

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you all for your input.
There have been alot of points brought up that I hadn't thought about, and this is why
I like to have evryone's ideas before I make a decision. So far, it looks as though in
season 2, I will not be restricting positions, nor changing the 5v5 format. I will however
be looking over the handicaps, and banning some of them.
Keep you ideas coming, incase some points haven't been brought up.

-Nehver
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd agree with keeping the positionals and lack of reserves.

Regarding the handicaps, I'd ban the ones that have the potential to remove more than one player from the pitch at a time (plus I'm the Greatest which is bugged).

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't ban those that would stop players from taking the pitch once in a while, but I think that the ones that remove them from the game are the ones that should be banned.

On that note, Virus should stay in.

Z
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2004 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that you mention it, I think I would keep Virus too since there's an easy way of avoiding it if you're worried....

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2004 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not agree with cutting the number of positionals, but if Nehver decides to cut them, everyone should start the next season with a new team for this to be fair.

Substitutes look good to me. A team with substitutes, pays the prize of higher TR and hundicups for the opponent.

As I said before, I'd like to see banned all the hundicaps that throw players out before the game starts:
APPEARANCE FEE
I AM THE GREATEST!
RUNNING LATE
MORLEY'S REVENGE
IT WASN'T ME!
VIRUS

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2004 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Arf my opponent is Captain. I would honestly have prefered to avoid him.

I felt robbed in season by him (we finish at same number of victories but he scored more but I did beat him---and I could not played the last one because my opponent forfeited).

But now, he has 3 ghouls blodgers and I do not have any tackle player. I have no chance to defend against them. So my only chance is to outscore him. The loss of my rat ogre is also a pain.

But he's stronger on TR and maybe handicaps can put him in a bad shape.

Eshin's dagger will face one of his best opponents and their hart opponent. Even if they feel scared they will try to beat them with offense and forget about defense.
Nehver

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2004 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay coaches.... I'm noticing a lull in the action again.
Let's get those games played!
-Nehver

(warning 1)
 Jump to: