21 coaches online • Server time: 07:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lorebass

Post   Posted: May 11, 2023 - 21:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Please be aware the English "Grammar" is based off of a text over 100 years old by now, noone speaks that way. So long as the point gets across there is no need to ruin a perfectly good blog post (and waste my time dealing with you).

I will nearly always foul on turn 16, unless I can get spp first. once that is gotten boot to the snoot!
koadah

Post   Posted: May 11, 2023 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

They're all here

Post   Posted: May 11, 2023 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

moph wrote:
Seventyone wrote:
Well done for resurrecting one of the oldest threads on Fumbbl. Also well done to the person who used "it's BLOOD bowl" as a justification. Please can we bring back the "how to be a right bastard thread" next?

Does this the right bastard thread involve not trying to understand what the others post? Wink For clarification: I did not justify any behaviour with the name of the game. I have contrasted arguments for both ways of playing, a little exaggerated I admit, to make it clear that the problem is that in online BB two types of players clash - the competitive players and the role players. (most of them probably lie somewhere between the two) And for the role-players, it is quite correct that the Evil Brainkickers of Hell will kick in the elf's head, regardless of whether this results in a tactical advantage or not.

Hi

I'm sorry if you were offended but one of the tropes or cliches in all of these classic threads is saying "its called BLOOD bowl for a reason" or similar when someone is whining about fouling, clawpomb, t16 surfs etc. Its like seeing an old friend...

i'd recommend the "how to be a right bastard" thread to anyone:

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4949

Most of it won't work any more but there are some good ideas that are still current.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2023 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:
I'm sorry if you were offended but one of the tropes or cliches in all of these classic threads is saying "its called BLOOD bowl for a reason" or similar when someone is whining about fouling, clawpomb, t16 surfs etc. Its like seeing an old friend...

Another cliche is: if you don't like randomness play Chess.
It can be used for T16 fouling as well: if you don't like T16 fouls play Chess. Very Happy
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: May 11, 2023 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

reason #13: Fouling with the sneaky git on the way to the t16 score adds extra excitement to the go-ahead/tying score also!
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the first huge foul thread was that one:
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=204&highlight=foul
it wasn't specifically about T16 foul though Smile
RDaneel

Post 18 Posted: May 12, 2023 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to see polls of a topic that has been discussed in the past and i find quite usefull. But let me return to a concept I find important because fouling in BB2020/FUMBBL has some tactical aspects different w/r the past.

It is my opinion that redraft should be part of the BB2020 rules ( I know is not implemented for thechnical reason, this is not a complaint but is a necessary premise to explain why the tactical foul is sacrosanct IMHO).

play BB2020 w/o redraft can generate some extreme situations .
Today we don't see a flood of CLAWMB just because there is the random MVP otherwise in competitive division w/o redraft where people monoactivate few races we can easily have TV 1700 and min max

May like it or not but that is not what provides for a seasonally competitive league with the, redraft.

There are some coaches who frequently mono-activate in box very few tier1 or tier2 races and act an extreme min-max strategy.
Legitimate , but allowed as redraft is not implemented.

so when i state that foul against an Orc Blitzer : + MA, +MA , BLODGE , SIDE STEP, BREAK TACKLE, is not only possibile but also dutiful i am making tactical argument.: it is absolutely justifiable that someone would want to get rid of such a monster from the circuit , especially not to have to meet him again if he plays in Box at medium-high TVs .
Because it is objectively OP and it is not the same thing to play Orcs vs Orcs at TV 1400 if one team is minmaxed with a Legend with more than 100 games and the other has the skills spread over 15- 20 games.
(this is also the reason why i don t play in Box teams with more than 15-20 games till redraft will be implemented - as i’m also not (yet) so stubborn to mono-activate my orcs for 100 matches btw… but who knows in the future…Wink

Having told this a little more seriously and after checking the Oxfordian grammar… ANYWAY or however all this does not take away the fact that out of frustration, anger, fun ….wathever: is totally fine if someone want to commit a foul at t16 even if completely unnecessary . Is not nice I admit but is part of the game too, and EVEN if there was no tactical reason for it I would never dream of saying it is offensive; the game allows it, so there is nothing offensive or illegal about it ( i do not think the same of all feature allowed by the game for instance on timeout even if possible to call w/o a 1st warning i consider a very bad coach who call timeout in this way : one timeout should be grant to everybody, we can open a separate discussion on this)

Certainly against certain coaches who swagger and are immodest, the unnecessary foul ( or the treacherous timeout ) is even tastier! Razz

so: good fouling to everyone!
Smile

moph

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:

Hi

i'd recommend the "how to be a right bastard" thread to anyone:

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4949

Most of it won't work any more but there are some good ideas that are still current.

Hi, not really offended more annoyed. I didn't know that the "how to be a right bastard" thread was a real thing. So it was a misunderstanding. Nice from you to explain it.

I can believe that the coaches with 10+ years on this site had these discussions about things like T16 fouls probably with every new edition. But anyway every new generation of coaches is going to have these as well.

I'm going to read the bastard thread now and the others recommended.Smile

And for those derailing about spelling and grammar: just use https://www.deepl.com/ or something alike like I do. It might not be all correct but at least I'm outsourcing the mistakes.
moph

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

And game design wise I think you should receive a 10k bonus for every kill. That should end the question if to foul or not to foul.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't the New Orleans Saints.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Try this:

If you suspect opponent might get a little irate if you T16 foul, click the foul and dance about or do a run-up to the gang-foul victim... then don't foul and see if they explode in chat as they've not noticed that it's a fake foul.
DrClaes

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Especially with my goblin teams, I often order the team NOT to foul on turn 16 and try instead for a thrown goblin touchdown attempt.

But they usually snicker and reply, "We got this, coach" or something similar before a gruesome gang foul of whoever is on the ground.

This has lost me more than a handful of games.

So yes, I am into the role playing and the Throne of Blood metagame.

One day a participating stunty team will beat the current record of 5 kills in a game, and it will be a glorious day.

Also +1 to the fake-out foul as Rbthma suggests above.
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I like foul turn 16. Only foul T16 or before if i can kill a legend
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
so when i state that foul against an Orc Blitzer : + MA, +MA , BLODGE , SIDE STEP, BREAK TACKLE, is not only possibile but also dutiful i am making tactical argument.: it is absolutely justifiable that someone would want to get rid of such a monster from the circuit , especially not to have to meet him again if he plays in Box at medium-high TVs .

I agree with you about that, but there is no need to foul a Legend (and not just on T16), you can foul whoever you want without any tactical reason, just for the sake of it. You are not committing a crime.
They are not real living beings, just a bunch of pixels. If the opponent gets pissed off it's his problem. It's better not to get too much attached to players. At first, when I was new to the site, T16 fouls irritated me, then I learned not to care about them. So, in the end, T16 fouls were a good lesson.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 12, 2023 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If you know the opponent and the conditions are adequate, foul away. It's fun and both part of the game and of the banter.

But against a total stranger, fouling in t16 gets you nothing except the satisfaction of knowing you pissed someone off. If you get off to that, it says a lot. And spare me the crap of wanting to teach people the right way to enjoy bb. Any game with player development brings a natural sense of attachment, especially in newcomers. And while I agree that the sooner you lose it the better, it's not your role to help others reach illumination through disappointment and discontent.

If you do it to a complete stranger, there's a very high chance you do it just because you can and it makes you feel good when you can break other people's toys.

The fact that they "should not" be attached to said toys in order to truly be free and have fun is irrelevant.