28 coaches online • Server time: 10:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Igvy

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2023 - 03:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Does defensive apply to all blocks in timing indicated (unless prone/off field). Or just blocks the player is involved with?
Carthage

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2023 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Neither.
It applies to any enemy player within the tacklezones of the defensive player during your opponents turn. You don't have tackle zones when knocked down or boneheaded.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2023 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Carthage wrote:
Neither.
It applies to any enemy player within the tacklezones of the defensive player during your opponents turn. You don't have tackle zones when knocked down or boneheaded.

Thank you. Terrible impact then.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2023 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Defensive would be nice if it worked all turns, not just on opponent's turn.
I took it on a Tomb Guardian because with ST 5 and Guard it's quite useful to protect nearby team mates, but on players with just A access is not that great.
On a ball carrier could be useful (especially with ST 4 or higher), but with guaranteed stat boots there are not enough skill slots left to bother with Defensive.
Carthage

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2023 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Its funny because the best pieces to have defensive are the high strength ones (as Dakka mentioned) because those are typically the ones the bash teams need to stick guard on to be able to disengage. I have an Ogre in a draft league with Guard and Defensive and its nearly impossible for my opponent to do much to my line. Which means the one player that starts with it, the Amazon Blocker, is actually really good with it.
That is probably not what GW envisioned for the skill. I think they thought agility teams could somehow use it to slow down orc/dorf guard spam? But its terrible for that since you have to be in base contact and getting punched unnecessarily as an agility team is usually a bad idea.
If it worked on your turn, then it would have some use on your blitzing piece at least. As it stands, its a mediocre skill on all the teams with the agility access to be able to take it.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2023 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup blodgefirm guard defensive S5 playere are the best. S4 is good. S3 is good for super key turns: where you expect to have the ball, but be not only blitzable but also blockable.
amazingprizzini

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2023 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I found it annoying to play against when an elf used it against me. It is unexpected, and can cause confusion. I think has its uses, even on a str 3 player, but it's really only useful on Amazon blockers, who its great on as a ball carrier. The main drawback for them in that roll is that they are your only S access, and do you want, say, them to have block and sure hands instead of block and mighty blow or guard?
Carthage

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2023 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you want to build them as the cage corners in that case... block stand firm and guard (mighty blow can accelerate that) and you put them on opposite corners of the cage. Then, no matter what, the opponent is going to either need to try to blitz off that S4 blodgefirm cage corner with no guard assists or hit the other corner then be tagged with guard/defensive when trying to base up the ball carrier. You'd have to be blitzing with something with ST4 wrackle to have a good shot of getting that ball carrier down at that point.
amazingprizzini

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2023 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

sure, but you only get two Amazon blockers, and it's a fair question as whether you'd just rather have th strength 4 carrier as your ball carrier.
Gridironman

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2023 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The defensive is game breaking or a new must have boom is officially over.