49 coaches online • Server time: 23:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2023 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

So will java & the FUMBBL client run on a microsoft Surface Go 3 specifically??? Looking at getn one & I had heard someone recently say, on discord, the forum or blog that FUMBBL worked on a MS surface type device, but not sure which was mentioned. Any help here?

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2023 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It's just running Windows, isn't it?
It's a small Windows machine
So yea. It's got enough resolution for the whole client as well
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2023 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh wait

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-and-windows-11-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Dec 12, 2023 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Oh wait

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-and-windows-11-in-s-mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85

Not much of a techie can you explain? It says S-mode can be disabled.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2023 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a surface 2 and it did not run Java if I remember right. Googling says they fixed that with the surface 3 though.
Do you know anyone with one of them that you could borrow for 20 minutes to try it out?
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2023 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Carthage wrote:
I had a surface 2 and it did not run Java if I remember right. Googling says they fixed that with the surface 3 though.
Do you know anyone with one of them that you could borrow for 20 minutes to try it out?

Unfortunately no.

Do ANY tablets run java/FUMBBL???

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2023 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Surface Go is a very different proposition from a regular Surface (it's kind of but not the same as a Chromebook, so Microsoft locked more things down, which may include Java.

Almost every tablet is either running Android or iOS, neither of which allow you to run Java in the way you need for Fumbbl.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2023 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

i got it working years ago on the original surface, it defo was possible
PopUnderhill

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2023 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
Do ANY tablets run java/FUMBBL???

I don't know if this still counts as a tablet or if it crosses over into laptop territory, but I use a Surface Pro 7 and have never had any issue with Java or Fumbbl.
Polly

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2023 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been looking for a solution like this for a long time.
So far I've found a solution but it's still a complicated situation.
I use Google Remote Desktop directly on my Samsung A7 light tablet to connect to my PC which is what fummbl uses.
Another idea I would like to try is to use an online Windows virtual machine on which to then load Java and run Fumbbl.
This would be useful if you could also use an Android smartphone.
But currently it is an expense that I am not interested in making and it is always a way around the problem.
The only thing I would like to know is if all the fumbbl code could migrate to another programming language to run on a system like android.
Obviously I would never expect this from the programmers who I already thank for being able to let me play Blood Bowl in an zone where there aren't many players.
But I hope, having talked about it, that someone can have some insight into the matter and find a useful idea
SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2024 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

No way it will be playable on smartphone, even with remote desktop to regular PC. The client doesn't make use of screen's space efficiently, unfortunately. The reserves/dugout boxes and chat pane take too much space, and cannot be hidden (afaicr). So everything will be so small it will be hardly playable. Another issue is the fact you can start movement into some tackle zones with a wrong placement of your finger.

If only Christer could be convinced to invest some of their time into making the client a bit more suitable for small touch screens.. It just needs two things:

1. Make every non-vital pane hideable. So only the pitch should be visible all the time, and you would need to tap some button to show the chat and reserves panes (and they need to slide out over the pitch, so that no scaling up and down could happen)

2. Add confirmations for actions that can be unwillingly started with a wrong tap, first of all move/blitz actions; similar to BB3, where you first plan your route, or select a specific square - then either tap it again, or tap some button appearing near the target to execute the move order

Both need to be represented as an option in client's menu, like "Mobile compatibility mode"
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2024 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, no

It will for sure require more than 'just two things'
Carthage

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2024 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

From my own digging, there is way bigger issue that the coding language its programmed in does not function on mobile devices. You'd have to reprogram the whole client using an entirely different family of code. Davlik vs Java is the issue as far as I can tell. Though they make Java ME which claims to be mobile compatible on a google search. But I have no idea if thats true for this kind of setup or if its even feasible to do that because it sounds like a ton of work especially for a donations run site.
I think if you *really* wanted a handheld option then my first experiment would be with the ROG Ally since it runs Windows, but I'm not sure if its the version the old surfaces ran that still couldnt open JNLP or a more normal version.
razmus

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2024 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a Windows Surface Pro 3, (running Windows 11 -- even though that isn't in the support chart for that version of Surface)... and I've been able to use Java and the FUMBBL client for years. (It might have been me who said on Discord that I use the Surface Pro with the FUMBBL client.)

Couple notes though:
1. I'd say 98% of my use of the FUMBBL client on the Surface Pro is to spectate or watch replays.
2. The few games I've played on my Surface has been while traveling, and I very very much recommend hooking up an external mouse while playing. I trust neither the touch pad nor the touch screen with my pixels.

SeriliKirico

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2024 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Haha, no

It will for sure require more than 'just two things'

I was talking from experience - I've already tried to play it like that, and these were the two things that made it unplayable. The rest was just fine.

FYI: I wasn't talking about running the client on Android device directly (what is impossible, as pointed above) - only about playing it via some kind of remote desktop software connected to regular PC, from my tablet/phone.
 Jump to: