41 coaches online • Server time: 16:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
celas

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2004 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The third season of MNF will start either 8/23 or 8/30 depending on interest.

Please check out the information page for the rules (which have been adjusted each season to make the league better).

fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1527
celas

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2004 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well since I heard it is better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one..... MNF is wrapping up it's fourth season with a fifth season to start on 10/18. I have been asking for feedback from veteran coaches on the format of the new season and I would like to know what any other interested coaches or veterans have to say.

The following list is the feedback I have already received:

1. Have smaller divisons to speed up play and reduce impact of dropouts/no-shows.
2. Use open round robins to encourage flexibility but require that each coach play all teams in the respective division.
3. Keep separate leagues for veteran teams and new teams; also if non-LRB teams are allowed (i.e., Pact, OW, Ogre) keep them in a separate league.
4. Racial theme leagues such All-dwarf-skaven-stunty.
5. All Low AV teams such as not allowing any player over AV 7.
6. Harsh penalties for not showing up without notifying staff prior to gametime (apparently toilet papering someone's else does not act as a good deterrent for this behavior).
7. SlowBall league; no player over MV 6.

If you have any suggestions or comments constructive to the league please put them in a post. Thanks in advance for your comments...

celas

Note to Self: Use this to make link---> [url=Linkhere]Text Here[/url]
2nd note to self: Use this for new posts---> <a href="http:// (yourlink) ">What You want to say</a>

Last edited by celas on %b %14, %2004 - %03:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
caileanhawk

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2004 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it the way we had it at the start. LRB Teams only, play as many as you can in one day and play a tourney either the first or second night. 2 week seasons max. A couple of 6 to 8 team divisions, in 6 team 4 teams qualify for playoffs, 8 teams all make it to a ko tourney. If you need to you can divide the divisions by rookie teams and veteran teams like we did.

Fast and fun, that is the way it should be. Then if you need to take a week off...you can.

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
flyingboxers

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2004 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing i can say is that I agree with Hawk on this, but just to make sure that the new members are here to play, and wont quit and ruin it all, they should have their own mini tournament. Then when they are done that, they can join the KO round with the vets. Depending on how many new teams you get. If there isnt a lot of new teams, the new members should not even go into the KO round. You can say that its a pledge to the league. Do well in this tournament and be accepted in the league. And about the LRB Teams only, this is up to you, I mean, I know I own one of the ugly teams for this season (Fairies) but its a choice to take, when you have 4 players on the field its how you play, the big picture, your strategy that makes you win.

Your unofficial MNF replacement,
Steph AKA Flybox

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2004 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

For the most part, I agree whole-heartedly with Caileanhawk. “Fast and fun, that is the way it should be.” Now for the specifics:

1. Have smaller divisons to speed up play and reduce impact of dropouts/no-shows.

Definitely smaller divisions. Limit sizes to what we can be played in a single night. A one-night tourney is a blast. A three-week plus tourney gets old fast.

2. Use open round robins to encourage flexibility but require that each coach play all teams in the respective division.

I would prefer a set match schedule. An open setting encourages some cherry picking and delays the games as everyone struggles to find a match. Set a time for the tourney to begin and set a match schedule based on those who are ready to play. If ya can’t make it on time then there is always next week.

3. Keep separate leagues for veteran teams and new teams; also if non-LRB teams are allowed (i.e., Pact, OW, Ogre) keep them in a separate league.

Use only LRB teams. Pact teams have an advantage over most of the others. Going back to the LRB teams will encourage a greater diversity of teams. Six of the top seven teams are non-LRB. That is good considering there are only eight non-LRB teams.

No. The diversity is what makes this league fun. Just the thought of a 4v4 dwarf match is making me sleepy.

5. All Low AV teams such as not allowing any player over AV 7.

See answer to #4. Diversity is the key.

6. Harsh penalties for not showing up without notifying staff prior to gametime (apparently toilet papering someone's else does not act as a good deterrent for this behavior).

Restricting the tourney to what we can get done in a day simplifies the penalties. Ya don’t show on time, ya don’t play. Why should everyone else wait for the individual? If I’m late or miss for the night I can always make it up next time.

7. SlowBall league; no player over MV 6.

See answer to #4. (Starting to yawn again) What makes 4v4 great is the speed of the play. Just the thought of slow players caging and running a slow dwarven march downfield is boring as hell.
Ok that is my two cents. I will be back again next season regardless of the format, so feel free to ignore, ridicule or even rebuff my thoughts. Just a word of caution – someone will have to wake me up between turns if we do a dwarven themed league <grin>.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2004 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

GameAvatar wrote:

No. The diversity is what makes this league fun. Just the thought of a 4v4 dwarf match is making me sleepy.

I agree with what has been posted previously (and I think I covered most of this in a PM to Celas already... Although I may have forgotten some of it).

The exception is this one point. I think that the speed of matches and the silly plays that arise from only having a handful of players are what makes it fun. I think an all-dwarf season might be fun. The other upshot is that this encourages new teams to come in each season (to match the occasional themes) and helps keep things cycling over and makes it easier to introduce new players with new teams. I don;t quite see the point of AV7 or less seasons but that could just be me.

I was originally thinking that open RR might actually help prevent some cherrypicking. If you don't play the tough teams/coaches, you are busy NOT scoring points and therefore not progressing in the RR. I know that my biggest problems with open RRs is that I never get all my games in. In hindsight, however, I can see how people might get just enough to squeak into the KO and then smack down teams which have just played tough opponents with their Chaos which got artificially inflated playing stunties. Yeah. scheduled RR might be the way to go.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2004 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think UGLY is having 5 Ogres that can use RR's Smile

Damn I got smoked.

EDIT:
Oh and don't forget the Wide Receiver Ogre Smile
Wait...also that ST 6 Ogre Smile
One more...what about a ST 7 Mino (OUCH) Smile

"Hospitality to the better sort, and charity to the poor; two virtues that are never exercised so well as when they accompany each other. " - Francis Atterbury
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2004 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to blow my own horn or anything but the Pact teams really did kind of dominate the season. 4 of the top 5 teams in the RR were Pact teams (with prophane's skaven in 4th) awith a combined record of 28W/11T/7L.

In the KO, my chaos pact managed to edge out CaileanHawk's chaos pact with 3rd and 4th belonging to old world and the prophane's skaven again.

Moral of the story: less Pact teams == more better.

Can I say I told you so, now that the Pacters are retired? Razz

Edit: No, no one was arguing that the Pact teams were overpowered... I just wanted to blow my own horn a bit. Smile

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %14, %2004 - %03:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
celas

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2004 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think anyone was disagreeing about Pact teams dominating. I think the point of the league was to just try something new to keep it exciting. I had a Pact team too (Lustrian) and I am generally a good player but I did not have good luck with them.. Despite having two big guys with MB, I only had 2 CAS after 8-9 games and finished with 3 total in 10 games. That's pitiful considering how many opportunities they had on the line against weaker opponents. I still think a league with all broken teams could be fun and the great challenge would be to take a regular team up against them. I have tried a few teams so far that really are not too good (Dwarf and Norse) for Fourball and finished with winning records so I guess part of the fun is the challenge you take Razz

BTW: MNF season 5 is going to start on 10/18. Submit a team or bring your veteran squad from a previous season of MNF!

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2005 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we should have a monday with our old teams to give them cash to become the new style teams! Good idea?