58 coaches online • Server time: 22:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Expanding on the monthly Fumbbl Championship concept, I propose that we institute another golden ring to reach for with our outstretched and overly competitive hands: The Golden Cherry!

This dubious distinction would be given each month to the coach who achieved the lowest cumulative "opponent strength" quotient matrixed against a calculated "lowest average opposing coach rating" with bonus points available for the "least experienced opposing coaches factor" (aka exploitation of the n00bs).

This trophy could be displayed on the coaches page next to all his (or her) other glories and winning percentage.

Hehe! Any takers? Flame away!
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe

love it - how bout limiting it to the lowest STR for the top 100 coaches only - cause making fun of cherry pickers who suck isnt fun at all.

lets make fun of the cherry pickers who THINK they are great.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 03:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...I was certainly guilty of cherry picking when I first played on FUMBBL but I now know the joy of watching Chaos Dwarves drop the ball Smile

Impose a coach ranking minimum limit on it at least - That way a newbie trying to keep his team alive while he's learning wouldn't get targeted while a consistent cherry picker will.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:

love it - how bout limiting it to the lowest STR for the top 100 coaches only - cause making fun of cherry pickers who suck isnt fun at all.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, I love this idea tautology and Mully have!

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Mully, and I love the idea....wonder how many faction and monthly championship winner would end up winning it......
cthol

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe, dynamite Smile
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly we´ll need that.
Love the idea, but should only count ranked matches, not league matches for obvious reasons..
Lorion

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup... make it only count R matches. And perhaps even extend the award so also 2nd and 3rd place would get a bitter cherry Smile. What I nice way to limmit cherry-picking, much better than the STR40 rule. I absolutely love it.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea is really excellent but there is a factor that can hardly be implanted, the sneak attack. When cherry_x challenges bona_fide's stronger lizard or any other team with 'fragile' symbol on his box with his mutated claw, takcle, block, rsc, po, etc team. (I just got an offer yesterday that I couldn't withstand without confusion and laughter.)

Maybe a specified multiplier would do it like a dwarf-halfling clash got two and so and there are neutrals too like amazon-norse.
Frankie

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea is really excellent but there is a factor that can hardly be implanted, the sneak attack. When cherry_x challenges bona_fide's stronger lizard or any other team with 'fragile' symbol on his box with his mutated claw, takcle, block, rsc, po, etc team. (I just got an offer yesterday that I couldn't withstand without confusion and laughter.)

Maybe a specified multiplier would do it like a dwarf-halfling clash got two and so and there are neutrals too like amazon-norse.
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Before this goes any further, I'd like to make clear that I meant all this in the best spirit of fun and didn't think that folks would take this too seriously. If such an award were to be created, I would hope that all would understand and appreciate that intent Smile
I strongly believe that all should be allowed and encouraged to pursue having fun in the FUMBBL leagues in whatever way pleases them best, just so long as it is not at the expense of others (beyond delivering a sound thrashing on the pitch that is).
There is more than one way to pick a cherry and no formula or calculus can discern them all. I just thought this would be a fun thing after spec'ing a few games between highly-rated coaches and people who apparently do not understand how assists work Wink
borderline

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic idea! The competition for the the Cherry would be fierce though, so let us all go into training for that momentous day when our matchups can be awarded in such a gorious way...
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, with only 4 days to go it looks like the competition for the August Cherry is a runaway. Coach <b>Muttesmutte</b> with a record of 27-2-0 and a difficulty rating of 0.88 is far and away the best Cherry in the bunch. This "highly ranked" (#51 overall) coach from Sweden has used his 11-0-0 Norse squad to pummell the opposition.

Of course, with an average STR difference of +22.9/game over the last 10 games this Norse team has rarely faced an opponent of equal ability. Also impressive is the undefeated skaven team who has played with an average +26.0 STR difference over the past 5 games. Yes, with a +33 and +36 STR difference in their last 2 games, this team knows how to flirt with the +40 rule without crossing the line.

Congrats on being a lock for the 1st Cherry well-earned.

On the other hand, I'd like to slap a <b>Top Underdog</b> award on the coach in the FUMBBL Championship top 50 with the toughest Difficulty rating. The current leader is <b>PellePirat</b> at 7-2-2 with a 1.09 rating. ALthough the bulk of their wins were with a CD team, the coach did choose to "play up" with them most games. Coaches Sokratez (1.07) and Bolas (1.08) still have a shot at stealing the top dog away with 4 days left in August.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh god is this what were being reduced to? Rolling Eyes

I've spent alot of time recently playing against newer players in unranked who were asking on advice or simply how to play. Its quite funny watching dwarfs try to dodge and humans trying to outblock my orcs but I've seen a marked improvement after all of those games as the other coach has clearly gotten a better understanding of what works and what dosent.

I wonder how many people in this thread have shown the same courtesy.

Part of the reason for a userguide is that it allows new players to find unranked games and get up to a reasonable standard before entering ranked. Its perfectly reasonable that people who dont bother to read the guidelines should be eligable to play Muttesmutte
or whoever they choose.

Much has been said about coach ranking being a pointless figure, so maybe we should just let this one drop. If you want glory try Faction or a Tournament where you can prove your prowess in a more controlled setting.

Much of this argument seems to stem from people who are relativly low in the rankings and feel they've been cheated in regards to progressing further. It dosent matter.

Leave the cherrypickers alone its up to them how they conduct themselves and being publicly bullied by you Mully dosen't make it any better.
 Jump to: