44 coaches online • Server time: 00:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=106193

Where would you go with this team skill wise? Obviously the BOBs need Block asap, but that can't be forced very easily. And no, I don't regret taking Guard first with them=)

The other issue is TR/TS pruning. What do you cut to keep your TR/TS down? Do you see anything on my team that you'd cut? I know many people say 14 players is too many for an orc team, and I'm not disagreeing with them, I just don't know what to cut. I already axed a no skill lino that I had from the beginning. I just don't want my ratings to outpace my team skill development, thus making for some hard games.

Thanks in advance for your time and constructive advice.
andycapp

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

My first team on FUMBBL was Orcs, so I've been using them for a while now.
For any team, regardless or race, 6 Re-rolls is simply enormous. Also, 14 players means you don't have a lot of control over MVP in a game, so it can take a long while for it to drop on a player you want it to.

Although fun at times, playing a gobbo on your team often hinders more than helps, as it is a weak and poorly-armoured player that takes up a space instead of one of your bigger, beastier guys. They also get cut down by anyone with Tackle.
They are usually used in conjunction with the Troll, I know, but there will be more eatings, drops, deaths, etc and therefore turnovers, than actual successes.

The two Linemen and second Thrower, in a perfect world, could be combined into one or two players (eg. drop a Lineman but when the Thrower gets a skill). Though for the starting team, Linemen were a necessity so it was only a matter of time before they got skills too.

With two AG4 Blitzers, you may not need another "Ball handler" such as the gobbo or second Thrower...

So, depending on what you want your TR to be :
- Drop one or two Rerolls
- Drop two of: the gobbo, two Linemen and second Thrower.

Personally, the way the team is right now, I would drop 2 rerolls, the Gobbo (unskilled), and ... hmmm ... sit on the two Linemen and second Thrower for a while until skills show one falling behind - but hoping that it is one of the Linemen.

Just my opinion, of course ...
Good luck with it.
Cheers, andycapp.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I'd not drop any of the players (except maybe the goblin, unless you ever actually use him for something other than fouling), but 6 rr's is too much. Do you ever actually use all of them? Personally, I find 5 rr's is enough for my human/skaven teams, 4 for my elven teams. And don't be afraid to give the ball to your bob's to score when you get the chance--even with agi 2, you have a 50/50 shot at picking up the ball, going up to 75% chance with a rr. My dwarven longbeards score all the time when I give them a shot, as it speeds up their development drastically. The blitzers/linemen will get theirs easily enough. Also, when the risk of ball turnover is low, let your agi 3 linemen pass the ball to each other for the free spp's. My humans do it all the time--3+ is still 66% your favor to succeed, and the 1 spp's add up quickly, esp if you have a player only one or two away from a skill.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

About the RR thing... it begs the question: What do you do with your money? I've been getting RRs to simply burn cash. I don't know what else to spend it on. Freebooters?

EDIT: and to answer your question, I probably use more RRs than most orc teams because of the simply fact that my BoBs dont' have Block yet.
andycapp

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing my Orcs in [U] so it's a bit different to you, but the ideas are just the same...
In my first 6 games I lost 4 Blitzers - 3 RIPs and 1 -ST. Since then, 3 more Blitzers and 1 BoB. I have also retired two Linemen with no skills!
<EDIT>
What to do with your money? Burn it - buy some Cheerleaders and sack them again. If you've got all the players you want, don't waste money on more. Keep your Rerolls if you need them for now - and remember to drop them if the time is right.
</EDIT>
Block and Guard BoBs are rather sweet, and they will get there soon enough.
AFK is on the money with some "advancement" tips. Though Orcs ARE a bit poorer in ball skills, in my opinion, so simply "throwing it around" might take a bit of luck, a reroll or two, plenty of time left on the clock, and a lot of space around both thrower and catcher - quite a lot to ask for.
Further development will just "feel good at the time". You've taken some Mighty Blow, a lot of Guard (but can you EVER get enough Guard???) but maybe some more Tackle for those Dodgy teams? Some coaches won't like too many MB on opponents' teams, so watch that too.
Cheers, andycapp.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

keep the rr I love them always nice to re roll those blocks when absolutley must knock something down Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

As for the money....Get some stars once in a while

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I've burned through 6 rr quite a bit with orcs... mind you.... i think skills like surehands or catch are for wussies. Plus it is fun getting 4 Dice to play with when gunning for those pesky sidestep, blodging, leap wardancers.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 15:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Id cut 1 reroll, 5 is plenty.

Then either the dauntless linorc (thats what BOB's and trolls are for) or maybe the second thrower as you have 2 +ag guys for ball handling if the main throwers out.

gobbos are utter rubbish, but if used as a 13th man tend to only up the tr/str a couple of points. And even though its unlikely to work the TTM can worry the opponent.

As for cash:
Buy and dump rerolls.
Save a wodge for an upcoming tourney (sure the chaos cup was rumoured to be soon)
Or hire stars/wizards and play khemri. they deserve it.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I would keep the Gobbo (and only for those odd turn 8 TTM attempts)
Mully

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldnt do anything. TR/TS dont look out of line and your record with them speaks for itself.

I would have taken some block over Guard on the BOBs but that's history

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't have any Dirty Players. Get one ASAP, and a second one reasonably soon.

Personally, I think Dauntless on a lineman is a waste -- I'd go Guard 90 % of the time, MB the other 10 %.

Also, while I think MB is a good first skill on Black Orks, Guard severely hinders their development, and keeping your Black Orks good is a very important part of playing Orks.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
...Also, while I think MB is a good first skill on Black Orks, Guard severely hinders their development, and keeping your Black Orks good is a very important part of playing Orks.

MB is good for the BOB's development. Guard is good for the whole team.

Call me silly but I think winning is a pretty important part of playing orcs as well - even moreso than development. Smile

And yes, I am being a bit facetious.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I've regretted that Dauntless lineman since his first game out. I now wish he'd been another guard. I'd really like the whole field to have guard eventually, but will be ok if the Throwers don't end up with it. I think I'll dump the dauntless lino and the goblin, then burn cash on freebooters for tough games. Thank you all for the advice.

One last thing, what skills should I look for on my +AG +ST blitzer? Iwant guard on him eventually, but will put it off if there is another good idea for a skill. How about on a double? I'm thinking Frenzy. Same question, but for the Guard +AG blitzer? Also, where do you go after Guard/MB for a 'normal' blitzer? Tackle? I'm thinking the suggestion on getting another Tackler out there is sound advice.

On a side note, I'd have to say much of my success with this team is due to the profusion of guards. I can feel comfortable against just about any bashy team simply because of so many guards, especially on players who are already ST4. It allows you to 'engage' the enemy without as much worry of being knocked down turn after turn. Where BoBs with block may rush in and get pushed back or knocked down, most opponents are wary of throwing 2d blocks my choice even when they have Block... which opens them up to MY 2d blocks (without block) on the following turn. The biggest liability in these instances is that my turnover rate goes from 1 in 36 to 1 in 9, but having block would not increase my chance of knocking down those with block anyway. Of course I also feel the lack of block when facing non-blockers and the missed chances to knock them down. But honestly, non-blockers are getting more and more rare as I climb TR. In the long run arms race of advancing TR, I'm glad I have guard.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

My woodelves feel the same way--I now have guard on 5 of the 11 players, and I'm only TR 140! Gives me a LOT more faith in playing a variety of players then I would if, say, I had block or dodge on the players, fearing just a single tackler on the other team.

For your blitzers, I'd start to think of some out-of-this-world skills for orcs, like leap/strip ball or passblock/diving tackle. Perhaps even NoS so those agi 4 guys can pickup the ball, stay there to fluster opposing players, while passing the ball back out to your other agi 4 blitzer. Keeping away from too much MB will allow for a greater variety of opponents, though one skill almost all teams could use more of--strip ball! Very few teams have surehanded players running the ball regularly, and with all your guard you'd be almost guaranteed to relieve your opponent of the ball, including those pesky blodging wd's...

Jump to: