36 coaches online • Server time: 18:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried doing a search function, but was unable to find what I'm looking for. Quite simply, just out of curousity, I want to know how often I can expect to roll stat increases or doubles. Check my numbers:

In theory, you have a 1 in 12 chance to get +Str.
Ditto for +Agi/+Ma

For doubles, the possible rolls you can get using 2 dice are:

2,2 (2,1 already reflected above as 1,2)

By my count, this gives 6 doubles out of 20 possible rolls, or a ratio of 3 in 10.

So bottom line, you have a 1/12 chance of getting any of the stat increases (taken together, 1/4 chance of something) and 3/10 chance to get a double. Just curious if my math is correct, as it seems often times rolls aren't this plentiful. My longest standing team has had 106 skill rolls during its career. By my math, that should give 8 or 9 of each stat increase and 30 someodd double rolls. Yet I've only had 4 or 5 of each stat and 13 double rolls, far below what my statistics say should happen.

Now, granted, these are STATISTICS we're talking about, and my lack of special rolls can be made up for by overabundance of super rolls by another team (though not one of mine as of yet). I'm not complaining (maybe grumbling a little, but not complaining Smile ), just bored at work. lol
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Close, but there are 36 possible results. 5+6 may have the same total as 6+5 but it is still a different roll.

So, you have 6+6, 5+6, 6+5, 5+5, 4+6 and 6+4 which provide stat increases. That's 1/36 or 1/6.

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Your statistics are wrong. As an example:
To roll a +ST, you have a 1/36 chance:
1/6 on the first die, that it comes up with a 6, and if does come up, you must roll another 6, again 1/6.
1/6*1/6=1/36.
I won't go into more details, since a quick search on the web on statistics will bring up enough primers on the subject.

[mean grin]
How about a game before you do that?
[/mean grin]

BMM, you beat me to it...
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

For +ST you need a double 6, that is a 1 in 36 chance!
For +AG you need a 5 and a 6, that happens in 1 of 18 cases.
For +MA you may use a double 5 or a 4&6-pair. You will get it in 1 of 12 cases.
The chance for a double is 1/6, but remember that a double 6 will be used for +ST, it would be insane not to raise the players strength.

AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, although I studied astrophysics in college, I didn't deal with statistics too much (yes, quantum mechanics has a lot of statistics, but I came close to failing that class, which is why I stopped with just my bachelors instead of going for a PhD), hence my less than stellar math skills in that department. Thanks for setting me straight. As for the game, Rasfahan, we'll have to see. That mean grin might have intimidated me into not playing against your stellar intellect. Wink

Edit: On checking your teams, I'll gladly pit my skaven vs your necro or high elves. Name the stadium. Wink
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to answer your overall question, you have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling some form of stat increase.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but you forgot an important detail, how often the 6,6 you rolled will age at 16 SPP and force you to scrap the player. Only happened to me four times so far... Confused
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2004 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

All but one of my +Str rolls has been accompanied by some form of aging, at all levels of skill (first skill, fifth, etc). Doubles also seem to bring about more than their fair share of aging rolls, too...

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

If your name is tautology, the chances of rolling +ST is 1 in 147 ... and counting.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Now, granted, these are STATISTICS we're talking about, and my lack of special rolls can be made up for by overabundance of super rolls by another team

Not so. Your rolls are completely independant events from anyone else's rolls and hence you have the same odds of getting +ST or whatever regardless of someone else getting an entire team of super players![/u]
the_warboss

Post   Posted: Oct 21, 2004 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

well what about rolling a +1 str (1 in 36) and aging on third skill roll (4+ which is 1 in 1Cool then losing a strength (1 in 36).

which equates to about 1 in 36 000.

and you feel unlucky.
 Jump to: