52 coaches online • Server time: 16:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
I appreciate your efforts in correcting these mistakes, but I do wonder how they managed to slip through in the first place.
We had over a dozen proof readers look over ONLY the changes for LRB 3.0 and I can still list over 2 pages worth of typos that were missed.

That's how these types of changes happen in the first place.

We have 7 folks reading over the review and a typo that had the Vampire Thralls with Goblins stats and skill was caught 2 days before it was released .... and to be honest it was a fluke that that was caught.

A BIG effort is made to avoid missing stuff ... but even with 7 to 12 proofreaders ... stuff gets missed ... its doesn't mean we suck or are irresponsible or clueless or worthy of complete disdain ... it means all missed something and are now working on fixing it.

Would you like to be a proofreader next year inquistor??? and would you be willing to answer posts like the ones in this thread when folks catch something that got missed ... because trust me ... it will happen ... if you are willing to be the point person to answer ALL the questions of "how did this happen" next year I may have to look you up as a proofreader. Perfection is a very difficult thing to be in real life.

All this by the way is just my way of saying to everyone ... be reasonable folks. I've had members of the online community outside the BBRC help proofread and they missed a LOT of stuff for the LRB 3.0 as well. Just look at the index of the LRB 3.0 ... played the Khemri Elf team lately???? And that was with 12!!! folks NOT in the BBRC proofreading for the LRB 3.0 for all the changes in the red. It happens and we try to get it fixed.

Or how about another example:

LRB 1.0 released 5/29/2002 had this for Dump Off:
"Work out the pass using the normal rules before the opposing player makes his block."

LRB 1.3 was released 7/21/2002 and had this typo in Dump Off:
"Work out makes his block."

Now despite several thousand folks downloading the LRB 1.3 and 2.0 ... this typo was not found and reported to the BBRC directly as a typo until May 22, 2004 ... almost 2 years later.

Now if a typo like that goes 2 years with 1000s of downloads ... does it help you understand how something can be missed by 7 folks doing their best in a month?

By the way inquistor ... I appreciate your ending comments ... so really this is not me trying to flame or be critical at all. You asked again a question and I'm hoping that this better answers it. Reading those is what made me want to try and explain better when you ask the questions "I do wonder how they managed to slip"

Galak
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

FWIW, I just spent this past week designing life insurance forms. Yes, that sucks enormously and it is precisely why I have been so cranky. This is exactly the sort of thing that happens to trained professionals and entire legal/compliance departments. It ain't pretty but it happens. All throughout life. It is much better to get used to the fact that typos happen than to complain about it.

I've been itching to chew my Project Manager a new one all week and I realized I can't because it is simply not her fault. It happens. To everyone.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

i don't think the typo was just missed, I noticed but like hundreds of others I thought: well, it's so obvius, someone, must have noted it and reposter it to BBRC... Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

If you need more proof readers, then feel free to pm me so that I can send you my e-mail.

13 heads are better than 12 dontcha know.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I only have two

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
If you need more proof readers, then feel free to pm me so that I can send you my e-mail.

That wasn't what I asked inquistor. I asked if you help proofread and then folks like you complain asking how something could have been missed. Will you defend the work done on the forums to answer folks like yourself???

Galak
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:

That wasn't what I asked inquistor. I asked if you help proofread and then folks like you complain asking how something could have been missed. Will you defend the work done on the forums to answer folks like yourself???

Galak
Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2004 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Galak - As a member of the FUMBBL +600 club, plus, REBBL, TRUBBL, PBEM I think these changes are good and were some of the better ideas that the vault had. personally I think there are only a few good ideas still within the vault yet to be implemented (ie TV vs TR).

What are the chances "vault" gets canned and instead the next rules review just takes a bit more pieces from the vault core and implements them instead?

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2004 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
What are the chances "vault" gets canned and instead the next rules review just takes a bit more pieces from the vault core and implements them instead?
Very low. So far from the playtesters we've only had one league not like them and the reason given was that the league loved strong fouling rules.

Saying you hope the Vault gets canned doesn't do much good when several veteran leagues are reporting it as the best set of league rules they've ever played.

The Vault is scheduled for LRB 6.0 ... if you don't like a rule ... the best way to oppose it is to get involved. You can know insert the "screw getting involved" comments that I've read over and over again. I'm not telling you to like the rules ... but to give non-theory based feedback is what will effect stuff the most.

Polls run on the Vault recently compared to a year ago are showing that the Vault has passed over to be majority opposed to majority in favor.

But its still 2 years away ... who knows what will happen in 2 years.

Galak
Mully

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2004 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ill send you feedback separately

But on this comment :

Quote:

Polls run on the Vault recently compared to a year ago are showing that the Vault has passed over to be majority opposed to majority in favor.

I think that is misleading cecause most of the veteran coaches who hate the vault have given up bitching and complaining about the vault over at TBB since it doesnt seem to do any good. I think based on all the forums you participate in you should already be aware of this.

But this isnt the thread to get involved in that. As I promised you a month ago, Ill send you a separate PM/email.

Thanks

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2004 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Vault looks pretty solid to me. I like the new skills, too.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: