75 coaches online • Server time: 20:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Diarmuid

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just curious as to other peoples methods for black orc blocker development. Now that my orcs have managed to develop most of them, I have to now and again build another one that dies due to the useless apothecary.

Suggestions on methods to get black orcs tds would be usefull. I have no predetermined strategy with that except a slow cage and some finger crossing to get the thing the ball.

I prefer the block, mighty blow, guard route. Seems to develop them faster.

Please be liberal with your suggestions or past practices in this regard.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to get block first on Black Orcs, then depending on the rest of the team, may go for any of Tackle, Guard, Mighty Blow, or Frenzy as each tend to be worthwhile in different scenarios.

I dont ever tend to score with BoB's as I think they would feel wronged and refuse to play, as well as having other Black Orcs laugh at them, so my BoB's tend to just be the LOS war machines they were designed to be.

I tend to run a cage up the middle, and send a couple of blitzers deep wide on offence, so I have a running or passing choice.
Smess

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I go for Block, Guard, then MB and SF on doubles. Only for one BO (the last one to reach 16 spp) i'll go block, MB
With guard they might not develop as fast, but they'll help me win my games easier.
I try to get them to score when they can, but that's usually only if you managed to get the opposition totally of the field
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer the Block/guard/MB way. I find it is better in terms of tactical importance. I know, it takes a little more to reach those 31 spps, but a ST4 guarding guy ss worth it, and Orcs do not really need that MB to win games. While you might well need that guard.

Other than that, if you stall or cage you can easily move the new Black Orc as part of the cage near the EndZone, and try a handoff in the end. It's a 4+ with reroll (75% success). It's a bit risky, so maybe try it only when you are already leading 1-0 or 2-0, but if you really want to build up an unskilled player, you are bound to risk something...
Alternatively, you can make it your ballcarrier for a game or two. ST4 compensates the lack of ballhandling skill... but in this case protecting him from -2d strip ball blocks and other stuff is an absolute must. Again, it's a bit risky, but I did the same with my new Chaos Warriors in my unranked Chaos Team and it works wonders. Yes, you loose some spps because you will inflict no casualties with him while he is the ballcarrier... but you will get 3 spps instead.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, yeah: Stand Firm on doubles. It's good not to be pushed back, and there's nothing better than dodging away with your Guarding Black Orc (4+) to lend an assist to for an unsuspected block. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Block, Guard, Tackle on two of them

and

Block, Guard, Mighty Blow on the other two

To me, after 4 skills they are pretty much perfect players

Block, Guard, Tackle, Mighty Blow

On doubles... stand firm... imho frenzy impeded my caging too much

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

No call for break tackle then? I suppose with 4 blitzers you're not in as much need as a lizard team.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to show off and say... well.. I like getting + ST for my first skill... and then +ST for the second Wink

And here he is.

After that, most people are happy to let him just trundle upfield and score and leave the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by Uncle_Smed on %b %23, %2005 - %14:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

With their poor movement I'd suspect Break Tackle to become a pretty useless option - on top of the blitzers being there to take care of such things as blitzing.
EcLiPsE

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

go and score with your bobs. if your cage manages to break throu enemy defense and you have to stall for 2 or more turns, why not try that handoff to a nearby bob.
imho coaches who take the block, MB combo on a Bob to make him get spp didn't understand orc play/tactics and that this game is about winning, not 'lvling a player'.

and for that str 6 bob.. well i prefer this one.
jazcobo

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I choose the block,mighty ( frenzy with doubles ) for 2 of them
the other two will be defensive with guard and tackle (stand firm )

it's a way to keep the bashing without forgetting the ball, about who scores , well whoever pick the ball no second thought , they have the order to run to the end zone , and after it the rest of them keep on the fun
Mith

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

1 Smeeeg Frenzy Black Orc Blocker 4 4 2 9 Block 6 0 0 0 0 2 10
2 Weigen Fulcon Black Orc Blocker 4 4 2 9 7 0 1 0 1 0 5
3 Hagnz Dagnz Black Orc Blocker 4 4 2 9 Block, Frenzy 10 0 0 0 7 1 19
4 Leche Brokenarrow Black Orc Blocker 4 4 2 9 Block, Mighty Blow 10 0 1 0 4 1 16

This is how my Black orcs are forming.
Block has been a HUGE improvement and allows me to take more 2ndary blocks with less worry of turning out. My frenzy skilled Orc works to get extra blocks in which can and has meant greater casualty ratio. However he has become a target to send to the injury box.

I plan on taking block, then break tackle with my no skill unless I get skill ups or doubles. and I plan on taking pro or dodge depending on where the rolls go (need doubles for dodge but will take ALL skill ups) as third skills.

I am designing my orcs as a team with few MB's so tht I can get more games. People tend to be turned off by a team with half a dozen or more MB's.

I plan on developing one goblin as my complete dirty player. For guys I feel are unnecessary foulers. Or when i need a revenge foul.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've never actually been able to stomach playing an orc team long eough to get a Bob a skill, but here is what I would do:-

Always block first, unless I got the +ST. You don't need them causing turnovers on 2d blocks. Guard next, since it's a good 'team' skill, even if it doesn't progress as quickly as MB would.

After that I'd find it difficult to choose between Tackle and MB, so I'd probably pefer 2 of each.

As BP has already said, at 4 skills (block, guard, tackle, mb) you have everything you need.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I got a bob +1ag and I won a game because he managed to catch a ball and then hand off to an open bltizer. I gave my 1ag bob break tackle just for laughs, he worked well till he died. Orc blitzers sometimes have troubles with those 4st bulls or 4st positionals if you cannot get enough guard for 2d.

Always give me bobs block first, if not doubles. Take any stat increase they roll. You get 4 of em, so 3 tend to be just block, mb, guard players.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2005 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting points. I still prefer the mb method. Reason being is that, despite a period of pain at the start of the teams development, I am now at a strong point after the 25th game. If not for deaths I would 3 with block, guard, mb and another one on the way. Now I have the luxury of developing the new black orcs in a similar manner without really suffering the same drawback as when I first started. The longterm rewards for choosing mb over guard have been worth the short term pain. Besides, with 4 st4 players, guard is not as ultra critical as with humans per say. You can still manage to get by without it, as my orcs are examples of.
 Jump to: