65 coaches online • Server time: 20:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adar

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Being down 11 casualities in 3 games seems abit extreme to me. Skaven are weak and I've never played them before but I'm suffering from a worse player shortage with these than I got with my Goblin cheaters in unranked...

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=157904

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Of those -11, 10 have been bh's, so consider yourself lucky. My skaven suffer from a disproportionate amount of RIP, and have in a two game span been -11 cas, including 5 RIP (3 perm).

Yes, skaven are every bit as fragile as elves, and in some ways moreso, as you aren't able to dodge away as easily and have much less blodge. The skaven philosophy you need to adopt is either a) hit them harder and earlier than they hit you or b) force them to concentrate on the ball, rather than free blocks. I employ more of the latter, sacrificing rookie linerats (only 50k each) to get between enemy tacklers and my valuable gutters and SV's. I've tried going the claw/rsc/dp route, but all that does is turn away non-chaos/orc opponents, who you can't compete with on a full-time basis.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I suppose my Skaven have taken 12 casualties in 4 games so yeah, not that unusual (7/1/4). I'm used to playing most of the second half with 5-6 players, still winning most of my games though. It's a mentality that may be hard to get into if you're used to playing Orc's or Dwarf's though..

You'll get used to it, Just need to save the Apoth for SI's and deaths and remeber that a suicidal lineman is just that on a rat team.
PhilMan

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

yeh, fairly normal, you just have to work out tactics to work around it, and use those gutter runners to the full advantage

"Best Bar in This Street"
Dr_Dave

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

yes that's normal
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

yes it is, but when you get to a higher rating, you give it back too.

My high elves just took 3 dead and a niggle to ONE skaven player!! ST4 AG4 Block tackle claw RSC LINEMAN!!

They CAN give it back!!
Slick

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The philosophy behind skaven is simple. Score and score fast ,and attack the ball with every player you can. Expect the linerats to die, ALOT. The only way skaven get by is to pretend the ball is the only thing on the field and to go after it constantly. Then just weigh risks vs reward on passing or dodging or gfi's to score as quickly as possible. Eventually your GRs and SVs will become good enough to rule the field and keep using the linerats for ... um ... dying? Since that is all they can do.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Slick wrote:
... and keep using the linerats for ... um ... dying?

My favorite euphamism for an expendable player is "speed bump". Doesn't do much, except slow the other guy down.

Back on topic, I think your cas ratio is on the high side but certainly not wildly abnormal. Rats are cheap players with some great positionals.

That said, it is important to try to get your linerats up and running. A handful of skills will keep the all-important stormvermin and gutter runners alive longer. I'll still readily throw a linerat to a nasty player in order to keep him occupied but if you have a chance to score with your linerat and get him some block, then by all means do it!

One thing to try is spreading out the field. If you can get a slower opponent's team split into groups, you have the speed to go focus all or most of your team on one group to do some ass-kicking while you have numerical superiority. Sure beats a 1-on-1 fight.

So how do you spread out your opponent? With relatively wide-set setups, reverses on offense (once you start down the bottom side and switch over to score on the top, your opponent will leave a few guys to cover the opposite sideline next drive, if he's smart) and largely by picking a group and swamping it as best you can. You'll end up with his faster players getting over to your location to provide backup while his slower players end up isolated as they're working their way over to you. Then go after the slower ones who are sitting out there all alone.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

why wait to skill up? go for the throat from game 1 like These Guys +6 -1 cas in 2 games and 4 of those were 'cannon fodder' linerats.

AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven in the warhammer world are the ultimate assassins, and must be played that way on-pitch as well. Strike with the gutters before the opposing team even knows the ball has been snapped; when on defense, sneak in some thieves into the backfield to strike at the ballboy, while the remainder serve as an interference screen and snipers, picking off any loners of the opposition who foolishly stray from the protection of the masses. Don't stand en-masse, trading blows in a center of the pitch brawl, you'll just lose.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

just took 12 cas in 2 games ...... i play chaos team
bad time happen sometime
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Try playing a skaven fleet in Man O War Mad

They selfdestruct half the time, are highly erratic, but once they go they go right through anything. So basically the racial fluff is preserved perfectly here.
cyric612

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I miss Man O war Smile
and skaven can very easily get those kinda casualtiy numbers especially if your dice don't stay out of your way
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the world of 7AV. Sometimes you can employ the best strategy out there but as long as you are rolling an armor roll, your ppl WILL get injured. Compensate by scoring more TDs than your opponent.
H-Hund

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2005 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Try to force your opponent play ball, by putting tacklezones on the man with the ball and stay away from the other players. In that way he'll have to use he's blitz on the cover players, and that will bring the number of cas down...
I use this tactic with low ag teams, and I think it's works fine. You many not stop your opponent every time, but you'll slow him down, and it will give you time to secure your key players. So just stay out of tacklezones and you are good to go Very Happy
 Jump to: