35 coaches online • Server time: 02:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. The puppies part was just dramatic license. Smile

The suggestion that a team can only play for a long time by picking "soft" opponents is, in my ever-so-humble opinion, false. The implied suggestion that everyone should play for long-term development by playing only against soft opponents is, similarly, a losing proposition.

Now here's the thing. People have a right to play that way if they want. I think it stunts one's growth as a player, but that's not my decision to make. 6' has every right to pick what matches he wants to play against in the open league. To paraphrase an old saying, I may not agree with his approach but I'll certainly defend his right to it. If he wants to promote that approach, however, I'll express my opinion as well in order to give people both sides.

I believe that selecting only advantageous matchups (whatever criteria you want to use and however you define advantageous) is contrary to the whole point of the league and the primary cause of most of the complaining that goes on here. I'd like to see it stop. I can't stop people, so I'll just play the way I like and occasionally try to convince people that it's a swell notion, as is the case here. The simple fact that cherrypicking your way through R was presented as a serious option in place of tactical advice is somewhat sad, in my opinion, and is the cause behind some of the vitriol the TBB crew and other coaches seem to feel against FUMBBL, for example.

Did that get the point across a bit better, mith?

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh..I just knew that you were online and lurking the forums Wink.

Yes..id certainly did get the point across. But i disagree with that point. But I would defend your right to feel otherwise even better than you would defend someone else´s right to...well you get the picture. Respect for opinins and stuff. Smile

I think that if everyone always tried to get the most beneficial match for their team it would result in the better coach winning the (few?) matches being played. Because if both players viewed their chances as best then the coach with the better comprehension of the actual matchup would win. (Assuming equal dice). Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

But, of course, I´m assuming that people play games to win. Like any other game. Maybe thats why i don´t understand why people make an (for example) all-thrall team and actually try to compete Wink.

So i guess we´re not gonna agree on this one.

M
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2005 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Mithrilpoint wrote:
So i guess we´re not gonna agree on this one.

Yeah. But, fortunately, we've both just said that we're cool with that. Smile

Quote:
Because if both players viewed their chances as best then the coach with the better comprehension of the actual matchup would win. (Assuming equal dice). Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

It does make sense. I, personally, just don't like the idea that selecting which game to play is a coaching skill. I like to think that coaching skills are limited to the on-board and team development (ie: skills, purchases and retirement) decisions.

In an attempt to cunningly return everyone back to on-topic discussion, I'd just add that I've got far more respect for a winning team (and the coach) which never crosses 200 TR because it keeps getting beat down than for a team which picks up 4 legends in its first 30 games because it played nothing but easy matches. An extreme example, perhaps, but it gets the point across.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2005 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

"Start cherrypicking" -I actually likes that kind of advice, it makes me feel brave and hardcore for not doing it Wink.

Ah well I guess this means that I'll just keep doing what I am doing, buy a thrower and then start loading up on gutter runners.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The E.L.F. is killing me.
Including my 4 self-inflicted snake-eyes casualties, I'm 10/11/9 after 12 games (5/5/5 in the last 4, 2/4/4 in the last 3).

Av 8 damnit.
Av 8.

Last edited by The_Mighty_Ren on %b %27, %2005 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
trialbyfire

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 05:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Wanna see some real hurting check out this game i played with my dwarfs:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=600960
6/3/3 2 deaths were perms-yea that team got retired after that game.
Go armor 9!
Melonhead

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 05:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol...play only elves. What great advice. Cherrypicker! Smile
bogh

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Pfft. Cherrypicking this and cherrypicking that.

I am no stranger to playing amazons vs. dwarfs, but it is just not rational. I may do it, but I cannot for the life of me see how it makes sense.

BMM, you accept that people play rationally on the field and in team development, trying to get as many wins as possible. How can you possibly think that rationality has no place in picking your games? Challenge - yeah, sure. I like challenges, I like to test my teams - but there is a weird disjunction between on pitch and off pitch. Would you ever make it harder for yourself on pitch (by not using your best players or by giving the ball to your opponent when you are one ahead)? No. You wouldn't. Because on the pitch it is all about winning the game. How can the same attitude be considered bad in the choice of games? Cherrypicking is a word that gets tossed around way to much here and the approach to the game seems illogical.

Summary: Games like these are a test of tactics and rationality. Whoever is best at calculating odds and seeing when risks are worth taking will usually win. This goes on the pitch and off the pitch. That thinking rationally is considered a "faux pas" off the pitch seems hypocritical to me.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Even against elves skaven break really easily un fair to say that you cherry pick just cause you play elfs with skaven both av 7 as long as there's not alot of mutaions not that bad of a match up
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=761454
Croke

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2005 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're a good player you don't have to worry about who you're playing against

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=182897

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2005 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2005 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Croke wrote:
If you're a good player you don't have to worry about who you're playing against

Hmm...of course, we'll all be much more impressed when that string of opposing races is maintained at TR 200-250, where survivial really starts to get tough... Wink
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2005 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Pfft... play only elves? Where's the fun in that?

Besides, I would if they played my poor rats for once, they always run away. I don't see why they are so scared, I don't have any Gutters to outspeed them... and hardly any bashy skills.

See, if you think playing a particular race will help you in survival mode, you are sadly mistaken. I probably received the worst casualties ever from an elf team, and meanwhile, inflicted the most on an undead team.

Play around the block, and you'll get better at staying afloat. And remember... even cheap players get good.

Z
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 25, 2005 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Cant agree more alcing. Even with my dwarf team, I get beat up at times and watch my lb's fly into the cas box. Variety is the spice of life and teaches u how to adapt to different skills/opponents.

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
Croke wrote:

Hmm...of course, we'll all be much more impressed when that string of opposing races is maintained at TR 200-250, where survivial really starts to get tough... Wink

Well I'll try to do the same thing by then, just dodge dodge dodge, they can't do a cas per turn, right? Razz I hope so