10 coaches online • Server time: 06:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you vote for a progression or non progession tournament for International Smackdown?
Progression
36%
 36%  [ 31 ]
Non Progression
44%
 44%  [ 38 ]
Pink Furry Crocodiles!!!!!
19%
 19%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 86

DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I'm still largely in favour of Pink Furry Crocodiles, but Canada will win, regardless.

pointless post 796

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

DropDeadFred wrote:
Macavity wrote:
I'm still largely in favour of Pink Furry Crocodiles, but Canada will win, regardless.

pointless post 796

Now you just aren't making sense. Either all my posts are pointless, and you should note them each, or some have a point, and should not be counted in the total. Please be thorough in your attempt to irritate me into eliminating my spamming habits Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Jan's idea too, Howver I am for progression TEAM CANADA I's strategy is too ground and pound all other countries into submission.

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
The counter arguement that progression distorts a tourney and doesnt allow true ability to out is, frankly, piffle.
If your team wins but gets wrecked, THATS YOUR FAULT. You picked the race, the team and the tactics, all are factors in the 'skill' of BB. teams progress at different rates, have different durability and different costs, you maybe ought to have thought of that when you drew up the team, not moan about it now.

This is not a valid argument. True, some races are far better than others if we all play at TR100 with no progression. But EXACTLY THE SAME goes if you play with normal progression: Orcs, Chaos Dorfs, Dorfs and Khemri all rule in the long run. So this argument invalidates my point of view as well as yours, i.e. it invalidates none.
I think that this Tourneament (assuming it will be as cool as it seems atm) will be quite a "long" one. I have not a great experience in tournaments, but I know the greatest issue is the lack of reliability: most of the times tourneaments are just killed by a great amount of dropping coaches.
TR100 *helps* to keep the interest high (cause you always have a competitive roster of the same level of your opponent), so it *should* lower the chance of people leaving after a REAL bad game. (not that I or my team would do that, anyway). This is a big, real big help in the success of this initiative.

The rest of your post (the part I didn't quote) has a point. I love the randomness in BB, and I must admit you have your reasons. Even if I am still for a non progressive system.
I guess it's all about different point of views, God bless different opinions! Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

@PurpleChest: perhaps you have specialized on high av teams too much, to enjoy non progression.

DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

im going on what people want and polls dont lie

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 22:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Janmattys: Agreed, and appologies for the angry tone, unmeant. friendly discussion as always.

vangorn:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=76262
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=67068
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=97413

I can play either i like to think. though i have favoured races, as most coaches do. And its true i do dislike elfbowl. Also I used to AD&D as a paladin and hence cannot play undead teams (note to paranoid american mothers: IT DOES effect your kids) but it isnt that that bothers me.

In non progression you are foolish to play races other than woodies, pro elves, norse, amazon and humans. Orcs, dark elves, dwarves and high elves have some chance, but all others are pretty much redundant. The idea of endless repetative games against immortal teams of the same few races doesnt appeal to me on any level. The added pointlessness of not even having the post game to fear/desire/play just makes the while enterprise unnapealing to me.

I still think a single race will remove the contradictions in the non progression arguement, then you could really claim it is a truely even test.

Why not humans only? if its to be reduced to so few races anyway, why not go the whole way and balance out all differences.

Oh and DDF, polls do lie if you ask the questions right?

Clasic example used in teaching polling methods:

A: Do you want a strong defense against aggression and a free country?
B: Do you want to give up our Nuclear weapons while other still have theirs?

A: Do you agree with destroying innocent civilions in their millions, in screaming agony by use of mass destruction weaponry?
B: Do you belive that we, and through our example and political pressure, should seek a nuclear free world?

Same question, if asked to general public can get large majorities in favour of either keeping or loosing nuclkear weaponry.

Its all in the question. The poll states negatives for progression (team death) but none for non progression.

That said, i do not question the result, as we must assume the public will choose to see through such devices, in spite fo the evidence that they dont.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2005 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Both systems have their good and bad sides.

I tend to like progression slightly more but maybe there is a way to weed out the worst excesses of poor dice? How about making stat increases illegal? (treat those as regular skill rolls) After all; +AG or +ST means a lot, especially early on.

In the end I'll play either system. Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate the non-progression idea...

I'll have to reconsider my orc team's lineup as it's built right now for progression.

Bummer.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I'm a bit cunfused. How do you have Non-Progression? Do you make a new team every game, or not log into fumbbl to play, and just submit the result in a thread?
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering, why not ask only the players that MATTER (in edition THOSE THAT PLAY THE DAMN THING) (captains+teammates) tally up those votes, and then decide. I see most (posting) team members voting for progression...

Post 12 Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

NPD vs. PLD Both is what ya'll should have. BB is survival management in majority of time. you could handicap it and for fun to see if the rookie( or keep title game progression) team could win Vs. the PD champion. I would play NP.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

To rephrase the previous post and discussion:

DreadClaw and DropDeadFred discuss non-progression. In the end, not getting anywhere in their argument, they decide to toss a coin for it. DreadClaw choose Heads so DropDeadFred is left with Tails.

The coin tumbles up into the air, spins, lands - and comes up Tails.

DreadClaw looks disappointed and turns to DropDeadFred. "Best out of three?"

I have no qualms with asking just the players, though.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

DreadClaw wrote:
I was wondering, why not ask only the players that MATTER (in edition THOSE THAT PLAY THE DAMN THING) (captains+teammates) tally up those votes, and then decide. I see most (posting) team members voting for progression...

I agree with this. Any old Bob, Dick or Harry could vote in this...and tell their friends to also. I know that DDF likes the non progression idea but a bit of democracy wouldnt hurt.

Brad

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2005 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Let us not forget This is a <B>Team </B> Event.

Progression actually alows teamwork, because each captain will need to decide what ratio of Smash vs Dash Teams to field.
Dwarf, CD, Chaos, KH countries will rack up huge casualty counts, but never progress as they will all go down rather quickly.
By the same token though, Welf, Delf, Skaven, Zon makeups will probably outscore all comers for the first few, but there would be nothing left after the initial rounds.

Progresion allows the captains to build a team of teams, that can hopefully rack up enough points to progress, whilst having an enforcer team or two to cripple the opponents.

No Progression means no teamwork at all, just 4 coaches playing 4 coaches under a common banner.