59 coaches online • Server time: 19:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adar

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2005 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have a great orc team with 2 very nice Ag4 blitzers, then both aged at 51SPPs and the team was suddenly turned into a normal orc team with pretty bad bashing abilities. Basicly I need some stat improvements to get the team to the level I want it to be, terefor am I looking to cut out some uninjuried players who doesn't have any good skills.

the team

My current plan: I will kick the thrower and lineman with block/tackle/passblock directly. Then I play one game and rely on brute force to win it, buy a new thrower, play another game, buy a new lineman. Then I will rely heavily on the two newer blitzers, as soon as one of them gets a good skill set will I fire Zorczas (Ag4 Mv7 blitzer) and buy a new blitzer which I will try to feed SPPs:

Pros: Allows me to quickly skill up the team with more useful skills if I'm lucky.
Cons: I will be stuck with a game heavily relying on BOs and the Ogre to open the way while I train the rest of the team.[/url]

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2005 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Why fire perfectly good players? I'd get rid of the niggling Blitzer first. There's nothing *wrong* with the team, so no need for drastic changes.

Better buy a new Thrower and start skilling him before you sack your old one.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Synn

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2005 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you have the right idea here and orcs are a good team for the dump and rebuild strategy since BoBs skill up soooo slowly.......

Those BoBs are looking nice. This team has nasty potential.

Peace,
Synn
Pau

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2005 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

okay, I've been playing with an orc team so I'm gonna tell you what I would do if I was you. But take this as what I would do, not what you should do.

First, get a troll better than an ogre. the only reason to get an ogre would be TTM (he's ag2 and won't eat your goblin) the reason to get a troll is regen (he will almost always be in the LoS) plus trolls give less TR thus helping you get easier games.

Second, we talk about skills now: you need to get MB and guard as soon as possible. I pick guard on my blitzers because they have a higher move rate thus helping me put them where they should be. I give MB as second skill to my Bobs because they need to get spps faster than they usually do. Only get 2 tacklers. Spend all doubles on stand firm, its unvaluable. Get a lino DP and keep him 2 squares away from the LoS for a quick assist or a nice foul. Sack the thrower as soon as you get a lino with +AG, scept if you REALLY. REALLY. REALLY, do play ball. Linos can get either guard or SF on doubles. Don't bother with frenzy till its the second double with your bobs or your THIRD with your blitzers, they are better off with SF +dodge than SF+frenzy. Don't pick any +MA, its not worth it, specially with linos and bobs.

Third, burn one or two rrs, if you feel your team is playing way tougher matches, 3 or 4 is perfect for orcs. Do the same with those 6 coaches.

I don't know if this will help, but its all I can say about it buddy Smile

edit: as a last thing, don't sack your ogre, he's good, I'm just telling you to replace it for a troll once he gets niggled. Also, once you get lots of money stop spending it on RRs and spend it on some stars. Ripper is really nice so is morg. and they help win games much more than a rr in my opinion.

last edit: don't get more players, either you sack some of yours and replace them or you don't buy anyone more. And you really need more SF in my opinion. Good luck with those doubles Smile
johan

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I partly agree (especially on skills). Take this as two different philosophies on team building.

* Completely agree with Guard as first skill on Blitzers, Block or MB on BO's (I try not to have more than one BO with MB but without Block, but it's a great way to skill one up). Always try to score with your BO's when you control the match. One of my Ork teams have a BO as the top scorer! Oh, and never take +AG or even +MA on BO unless they have four regular skills already.

* After Block/Guard/MB/Tackle on the Blitzers (in case of no Stat increases/doubles), mix up Kick, Strip Ball, Pass Block, Pro. Kick is even better on a Block/Guard Lino, if you get one. AG 4 Blitzers should consider Sure Hands and Pass Block earlier.

* Doubles: Stand Firm is great for Blitzers (especially AG 4 ones). One Frenzy to a BO is good, then SF on all others. Linos can't get SF, so it's Guard all the way for them. I personally like to mix in DT on doubles on Blitzers - this gets even better with Pass Block far down the skill-line.

* Fill the team up to 16 players, even if it's just with Lino's. They cost little in TR, and they'll help the day you get mauled in a match (which *will* happen sooner or later) and they can try to get doubles or stat increases.

* Keep the Ogre. Replace with a troll when he dies (duh).

* Aim for 6 RR. That way, you can burn them on missed blocks, and you still get three left after Doom and Gloom.

* Do get one DP. I should say two, but then you won't get any matches.

* Go to two Throwers. They're one of the advantages Orks have against other bashy teams, meaning that you can often outplay them or get that long pass in that lets you score turn 8. The thrower is also a good ball handler with Sure Hands. Hope for +AG, +ST or Doubles (to NoS with Dump Off). Fire after too many skill rolls with no doubles/stat increases. A Str 4 Thrower is invaluable as a ball carrier.

/johan

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 01:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Do exactly what Pau said. Word for word thats what i wanted to say.
johan

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd much rather spend extra cash on a Wizard than on Star Players. It's murder against other bashy teams.

(Since we're taling about coaching staff, fire the assistant coaches. Only teams critically low on RR should ever have coaches, and even then, only one or two.)

/johan

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 01:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

To Johan:

16 players? WHY? Nonsense. AV9 rocks. 14 max. Even then one at least will hardly ever get a game, usually the sole gobbo.

Oh and 6 rerolls? If you need 6 rerolls you need to play bettter. 5 is the most anyone should need. Ever.

2 throwers is a luxury that can be avoided if yuo have a lineorc/blitzer as a back up ball handler. But orcs are occasional throwers and usual runners, so i say go with 1 and stay trim.

Rest i agree with though.

With spare cash Wizards/stars are both fun but can annoy opponent id done on the sly. If excess cash is an issue, dump it.
johan

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The number of rerolls isn't a question of skill, it's a question of playing style and opportunities. If you have 6 RR you can use one for a late turn one to re-roll a failed block, for instance - with 4, that's a risky move. Every time I get Doom & Gloom against me, I'm happy I have 6 RR.

16 players isn't expensive for the TR calculation (and even less so for TS), and it's very worth it for when you have som MNG, or just get beaten to a pulp. I once had 6 players killed/forced to retire in a single match, and then you're *very* happy you had those cheap reserves. Also, you can dilute the risk by putting unskilled linos on the LoS for turn 8/16. With the added chances of getting doubles/stats, I think it's highly useful with a low cost. 2 extra unskilled linos is 10 TR, and less than 10 TS (due to 16 player rebates in TS calculation). This kind of extra linos should be fired if they don't pick up useful skills, though.

You never take more than 3 CAS/KO in a match? Then I envy you...

But again, this is a question of philospohy. I don't generally work to keep my teams extremely tight - I'd rather have a big, well-developed team with some reserves for a rainy day. It's these big teams that can do well in the tourneys, too.

/johan

tautology

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Oh and 6 rerolls? If you need 6 rerolls you need to play bettter. 5 is the most anyone should need. Ever.

Everything else I agree with, but with this I must take exception. I would say that getting 6 rerolls is a low priority, but eventually, around TR 250+, I would buy it if the money is there. I will admit that rerolls are less important for bashing teams that for elves, however.
Good luck with your team!
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The use of wizrds and starplayers should be avoided. Or at least hire them BEFORE you show your team to your opponent. There is no fun in "tricking" someone inte playing with you. Think of it as if it was the boardgame and you are playing against a friend. You dont "cheat" against him and unless you want a bad rep on Fumbbl you should show the fellow players here the same curtisy. A bit of topic perhaps, but there was so much talk about wizards and starplayers i had to open my big mouth! Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
To Johan:

16 players? WHY? Nonsense. AV9 rocks. 14 max. Even then one at least will hardly ever get a game, usually the sole gobbo.

2 throwers is a luxury that can be avoided if yuo have a lineorc/blitzer as a back up ball handler. But orcs are occasional throwers and usual runners, so i say go with 1 and stay trim.

Rest i agree with though.

With spare cash Wizards/stars are both fun but can annoy opponent id done on the sly. If excess cash is an issue, dump it.

Interesting, I thought I was gonna get flamed due to my "don't get throwers, they aren't worth it" comment. I sure as hell didn't expect anyone to agree with me. Smile

edit: also people, the problem with rrs is that when you have many of them your TR skyrockets. and you end having TR 200+ with an unskilled team, therefor you start losing many games due to not being able to win against teams with more skills and less rrs.
johan

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 03:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... 6 RR is 12 more TR than 4 RR. That's not much on higher levels. And I wouldn't go 6 RR until I hit say 250 TR (that's when you have the money for it, anyway).

/johan

Pau

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
Well... 6 RR is 12 more TR than 4 RR. That's not much on higher levels. And I wouldn't go 6 RR until I hit say 250 TR (that's when you have the money for it, anyway).

/johan
I meant TS, anyway 12 TR means one handicap.

johan wrote:
I'd rather have a big, well-developed team with some reserves for a rainy day. It's these big teams that can do well in the tourneys, too.

/johan

The problem here is that if you have teams with lots of people the MVP goes to anyone who may or may not need it, instead of going to the people you do want it to go to. I don't know if I'm explaining myself. In conclusion, the bigger the team, the slower it develops.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2005 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Some extra gobbos maybe an option, especially when playing vs Lizzies.

Jump to: