27 coaches online • Server time: 01:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Curro

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi! a new topic from a bad player Wink

I have a couple teams of dark elves, and everytime I have the same problem, don´t know how to defend my opponent.
When I receive the ball it´s all right, almost I reach the Endzone with it. But then, when I must defend, everything goes down. I´m not capable to stop my opponent from scoring one or two TD, so I lose or draw.
This is my most advanced team:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=174683

Any advice on how to develop it? or any defending tactic which´s useful against bashy teams?? damned dwarves with their box!!

Thanks! Very Happy
tautology

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Defending with Dark Elves is a bit more complicated than can be expressed here. I suggest that you watch a few of the more experienced coaches to see what they are doing and try to find a style that suits you.
I would recommend that you take Leap as the next skill on your strip-ball blitzer, take guard whenever you roll doubles on a lineman or blitzer, and take sidestep on at least 3 players (or more).
How to best put these skills to use is best learned through experience.
Good luck!

Also, I assume that you have read the tactics and strategy section? Well worth your time if you are still relatively new to Dark Elves.
Curro

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks tautology!
I´ve read it, yes. But think it´s so generalist, so I´ll take your advice, and let´s look what happens.
angelface

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

And maybe a dirty player could help a bit too. Two dirty players could help a lot.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

1- Step back from his frontline one square each round.
2- Do not leave open spaces where your opponent can easily cage.
3- Use at least one player (I use two) to slip past his line and stay right between the thrower and the catchers. Sometimes interceptions happen. Should he fail his pick up rolls or his catch rolls (snake eyes happen as well Wink) or throws, be prepared to get the ball or put some tackle zones on it.
4- If your opponent does not cage, put every opponent in your half in a tackle zone. Shadowing and Diving Tackle both work WONDERS if paired with sidestep, on defence.

Learn from your mistakes. If a Wood Elf team scores in two turns against you, that's not that strange. If a Chaos Team can score against you in two turns, you MUST have done something horribly wrong.

Very Happy

ps: now that I think about it... Why in the world a Chaos Team could be willingly score in two turns vs a Dark Elf, if it's not turn 6? Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

have had the defending-problem often enough: you play a bashy team, score quick and then you have to decide - try to stop him from scoring (and get kicked out some players so finally you have not enough to build up a wall) or let him score (or better: force him to score) so that u can throw some passes for the rest of the half/score a second time.
i think the second way is the better, but often enough i try the other...and loose in the end cause of my missing players...
if u get ag5 players, add leap + strip ball, the guard/leap combination is very nice too. sidesteppers are no bad idea to hold the line, even if they are stunned they can help!
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

On a side note: darkies need a sure hands-safe throw thrower much more than two witches. Witches are a LUXURY. Never forget it.
Have some skilled linos, a good thrower, and 4 skilled blitzers. THEN you can start saving for witch elves.
Plus, I think that having two witches BEFORE having 3-4 rerolls is VERY risky.

imho, of course.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

One skill that I see you don't have is kick - I find this to be invaluable with my dark elves - especially against bashers. Kicking the ball deep can give you a chance of getting to the ball before it is securely in a cage, and certainly slows them down in scoring.

Curro

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice!
Thanks all of you..
But now... It´s better to start again with another team or continue with this and try to perform it well?
I´d like to continue this one, but it has a couple (ok, more than a couple) of bad choices of skills.
I think I´m going to continue this one (Is my team with most matches), and try to do better with the other one, which only has two matches yet.
Thanks again!!
Smile
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The only *real* bad choice I see is the Pass-Shadowing-Sure Hands on the lineman.
I suggest you to try developing this one.
My strategy:
1- Fire the -ma Witch. Your TR will drop a bit
2- Always put the niggled ones on the LoS. If they get injured again, drop them.
3- Get the third reroll. Then get either the thrower or the fourth reroll. If you really have lucky winnings and get past 100k, buy the fourth blitzer and skill him up asap.
4- Skill choices should be Block-Dodge-Tackle or Block-Dodge-Sidestep or Block-Sidestep-Diving Tackle
5- Don't get Leap on anyone unless it's AG5. Try to skill up your AG5, give him Block (first) then Leap.
6- Spend all doubles on guard. One guard is cool. Two are useful. Three are great, and so on... Maybe you can give one blitzer Mighty Blow and tackle, and use him as a defensive blitzer vs opposing runners.

It will be hard but your team is still viable for a recovery.
I am NOT an elven expert, but this would be my way. If you want some ideas, take a look at my Dark Elves.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

What works well for me is holding up the cage by placing you players as doubles before the cage (behind eachother). Like that they don't get tied up so easily in TZ.

While doing this you can leave one side open, but of course keeping a safety deep. If the times runs out, some coaches get nervous and they send a player deep down that empty flank. With some dodge on the team it should be possible to get an assist and blitz that deep player. If you have a player in his half, you can pass to him and most certainly score next turn.

Always remeber: don't give away blocks for free. Elves do NOT excell in blocking, doding is their thing. So if you leave player adjacent to the enemy troops you need to have a good reason for it (like tying that player up). In this way I will most of the time sacrifice one line fodder to tie up the big guy. Like that you normally don't have to worry too much about that big fella.
Parroco

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played dark elves for a bit, and I still think they are the most difficult elves to coach. You cannot rely allways on the same tactic, you have to adapt it depending on your opponent. You can play bashy against other elves and should try a quick and fast game against powerful teams. When I'm defending i try to keep my players in a compact formation, don't leave holes and force your opponent to advance slow, when the end of half arrives he probably will be in a hurry and will make some mistakes. Don't be obssesed with the ball carrier, if you don't get a clear blitz, don't try it, just recolocate your players and blitz his most advanced player. And then wait until you have a clear blitz to the ball carrier. It has worked quite well for me so far, but you have to find your own style, where you find yuorself comfortable.

Hope this can help
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

if the game is spread up as elves DO WANT, leave them in touch of opponent: he wanna hit with str3 : good: he needs an assist= 2 guys used for one move.

Yes it maybe be sacrifice but with block+dodge it's invaluable! Only the best don't try to hit uselessly a blodger (mmm I should think myself too about that)
Gran

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well Curro, I should start with saying I don't know anything about playing elves (or anything else, some of my friend would say...), but I think they are quite close to my favorites the Norse, so you might be able to use some of the tactics I use.

1. Just as Norse, maybe even more, you cannot take to much hitting before you phase out, so keep a square between your players and those you defend against, forcing your opponent to blitz rather than block.
2. Always keep someone on Pass Block duty. This shouldn't be too hard for a AG4 team.
3. Use your Witches to make your opponent fear the sideline. The frenzy/block combo makes them deadly to anyone who strays within 2 sqares from the most deadly force on the planet: the audience.
4. Use a blitzer behind enemy lines to pick on the guy with the ball. This could give you the chance to steal a TD, and it will certainly be a pain for the guy you are playing. Anything that makes him or her divert people from the offence is good defence.

Well, for what it's worth. It might just be regurgitating old stuff, or just plane silly, but it's a thought... and I guess I needed a firts post. Wink

Last edited by Gran on %b %07, %2005 - %13:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of peple has already thrown in some good advices here. Judt going to throw in a few keywords.

Kick - The first skill I take on an elven lineman no matter what team.
Sidestep - This gives you the edge. Especially against bashy races you can put them so that the oppo needs to dodge through, something ag3 teams rarely does willingly. Very useful on the sidelines to avoid frenzy as well. In some cases block sidestep can be beter than blodge (blodge sidestep is of course the ultimate).
Strip Ball- You need, and I can see that you have, a blitzer whit that skill. If you get a chanse to take on the ballholder you must take it.
Guard - A very usefull skill to elves. It makes sure that you get some extra punch in the deffensive as well as helping you to protect the ball on the offensive.

I can agree that positional players kan be a luxury but I still feel that you need every single one of them in an elven team. Not from the start but later on they become very important. Just don´t skill them up to fast. Ageing always affects and your linos will get undernourished. Try to keep the team injury free as much as it gets. If you have a full team not counting nigglers then fire the nigglers. Statinjured linos can always be useful on the LoS though.