36 coaches online • Server time: 09:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Uber

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

A good way to defend against slow bashing teams is to bait them into blocking you. First, you should try spreading them out a little. Then take four guys, preferably blodgers, and stick next to his four worst guys, preferably block-less & tackle-less ones and certainly st3. If you do the math, it's going to take him 8 guys to get 2 dices on each, leaving only 3 to protect the ball. If your opponent is succesfully baited into neglecting to protect the ball, you should be able to retrieve it and score.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I must express myself poorly. What Uber said was exactely what I was meaning!
Curro

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Very thanks to all of you!
I´ll try to take every advice posted here.
Let´s see if I can do something right with this, and if I can´t I´ll asume I´m the worst coach all around the world.
Smile
nin

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Prety a luxury the witch elves but bashy teams don't use to have sidestep and stand firm neds a double, so frenzy is interesting to push people out of cages far from their frends in the lonely plains. May be just a witch with block and sidestep early...
Uber

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW, my strategy works equally well on offense. Get 4 players in scoring position and your opponent will need 8 guys to put them into double coverage. Chances are he won't be able to do it if he needs some assists to get some blocks on others. Remember that a guy with block always has at least 4 out of 9 chances of being left standing on a two dice block. That's pretty close to 50% of the time.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

as a dark elf coach (with a success rate like your own) my advice might not be very useful, but i'm offering it anyway...

WEs are great... for defence! A WE w 7 mvm on defence can go almost anywhere in a turn. blodge and sidestep makes them annoying as they can dodge to whoever they want, block fearlessly (and with frenzy they are scary as hell), and sidestep gives u the opportunity to place ur opponent's catcher in a TZ they can't get out from... for development i would go with diving tackle and tackle later, and just the WE in the region will keep your opponent hesitating...

Throwers are very useful and have to be used effectively to make a difference. consider developing 2 throwers, one offensive, and one defensive. combos like sure hands/dump off on one thrower, and catch/NoS on the other can completely screw ur opponent up, esp if he has to blitz the 1st thrower. u get to pass safely, he can't blitz ur second thrower in the same turn. this is a beautiful combo for when ur opponent fumbbls, and u can pick up the ball (sure hands is useful for the TZs)...

Linemen are the blood of ur team. having 4 blitzers, 2 WE and 2 Throwers on the picth is still 8 players, which means u will be outnumbered. i've been experimenting with dark elves, and if u don't get block for the linemen's first skill, u will end up spending a lot of time on the floor. keep in mind that ur opponent will target the players without block (as u should also be doing on ur opponent's team). as u develop the team, give the linemen specific tasks. a few blodgers, a few block/pass block, a few with guard, one or two with diving tackle or shadowing, a kick, a pro, a strip ball... all these add flexibility to your team, and you can force your opponent to play the way u want them to, and react in more creative ways...

Blitzers are great, and hence normally targetted by ur opponent's killers. somewhere in the tactics forum there's a great file about developing blitzers for various positions. u need to spread them around with different abilities. for example, would u like a blitzer with blodge tackle strip ball, or would u like a blitzer with block sure feet sprint sure hands. one takes the ball, the other runs 10 squares away with it.

the trick, with all teams obviously, but esp with dark elves, is planning in advance what skills u would like ur team to have. one skill won't make a major difference, but a combination of skills working together will. u are slower than other elves and skaven, weaker than other flexible and bashy teams, and u have to know when to push, when to shove, when to run, and when to run for your life.

another tactic u might want to keep in mind, esp if u have a DP soon, is that most cages have 5-8 players involved, out of 11. slow the cage down (moving away 1-2 squares a turn) and focus a blitzer/WE and a few linemen on the other players not involved in the cage. knock em down, and foul away. 70% of the coaches send reserves from the cage to help the players being fouled, which gives u a nice opening to slam the ball carrier...

and remember, sometimes to win, its best not to put ur opponent under too much pressure in the first half, retreat, score ur own td, and make sure that in the 2nd half u have enuff players to keep the pressure on ur opponent. if the opposing coach is having a lucky half, normally the second balances out. play then. if ur opponent is having a bad half, push and shove making the weaknesses become apparent, and score as much as possible...

ok... excellent in theory, and here's My Lousy Team and they aren't very good at following my advice... oh, and read the thread about using high ag players... from reading that i learnt an awful lot (which i haven't managed to pull off yet)...

[EDIT: spelling]

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]

Last edited by LordSnotball on %b %07, %2005 - %18:%Jul; edited 2 times in total
G_Force

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

i do get quite lucky sometimes with my elf but Light and Dark have been through the mill a few times. They have played all sorts of teams even the bashers during a season in ELF and the last 2 games were high tr dwarf and khermi in NL Ashes where i had to defend to the end with fewer players after getting slapped silly. I'm not saying i am that good (mainly lucky) but there may be a few replays to look at in their record to give you some possible ideas. being able to switch your DElf stratergy at any given moment i think is a must.

LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, and an extra bonus tip... browse thru the great replays, and watch the 1-turner from a dark elf team (i think). from there u will have an amazing insight into chain pushing. then browse thru some files (made recently) about one-turners from norse etc, and u will suddenly see how to use ur opponent's players for your own causes...

tautology

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Kick - The first skill I take on an elven lineman no matter what team.

This advice is golden, I'm embarrassed to have omitted it myself!

Quote:
Plus, I think that having two witches BEFORE having 3-4 rerolls is VERY risky.

I must respectfully disagree here. I would take a third reroll first, then a witch as soon as money permits. It may be that you have exactly 100K in the bank, in wiich case you get a blitzer, but if you have 110K, get the witch. She is the best defender on your team. Try to keep her out of harms way at least until she has block/sidestep. She will keep your opponent from making sideline plays quite effectively. With two you can cover both sidelines.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

tautology wrote:
Quote:

It seems my team followed that advice, and has ended up with a lineman who has a measly 33 games, and just 1 skill... kick!

to be honest, since i got the thrower, my linemen stopped progressing...

RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Against other elf teams giving your linos block followed by side step allows you to create defencive formations that are hard to penetrate. Diving tackle is also a very useful skill against elves, and it makes a good combo with side step.
Pau

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
tautology wrote:
Quote:

It seems my team followed that advice, and has ended up with a lineman who has a measly 33 games, and just 1 skill... kick!

to be honest, since i got the thrower, my linemen stopped progressing...

This is why I don't like getting throwers in any team till later on, once my linemen all have at least 1 skill.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

As an aside, I like to get a thrower for the elf teams early on and get him accurate followed by safe throw. I think a reliable thrower makes a huge difference in how secure your offence is. You can still get completions with your linos by picking the ball up with them and passing it to the thrower on the first of your offence.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
As an aside, I like to get a thrower for the elf teams early on and get him accurate followed by safe throw. I think a reliable thrower makes a huge difference in how secure your offence is. You can still get completions with your linos by picking the ball up with them and passing it to the thrower on the first of your offence.

I agree with that but I prefer taking skills in that order: safe throw / block

safe throw/ accurate

and yes I use actively 2 passers!
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2005 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

One more tip for getting skills for the linos -- score with them whenever possible, especially on offence. A dark elf lino needs 1 GFI to score in two turns, however, which it makes it more risky to score with them then with the positionals. To minimize the risk, I like to move one lino last on the first offencive turn and GFI the one square with him. This way if he falls and I've used the reroll it doesn't matter too much since I have other receivers downfield already and have also secured the ball. Compare this to the situation where he falls when he has the ball and is about to reach the endzone.
 Jump to: