50 coaches online • Server time: 17:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I realize that the more skills the better, so I'm not concerned about that, but we all know that there are better and worse choices for skills. I don't usually take SF, myself, but get why people do. I love Dodge (mostly for the help when being hit by larger players constantly). But what I don't understand is why a good number of players have been given both of these skills. Can someone try and explain why you would pick one when you had the other, over other skills? (please use specific player types to explain as few can get both skills without doubles)

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

imo Dodge and SF is a super cool combo. You can try crazy dodges with out any risk of getting hurt and you get 2 rolls to hit that all doing 6.
A very well combo imo, but thats just me Wink
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I know it's useful, but compared to other options available.....

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

i like bumpers avatar.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ask Blitzwing to psycho-analyze what that really means, Laban Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I would sell all my 8 BOOS for a SF-Dodge player.
This is why:
1- You can reroll dodges, and still if you fail both times you don't go down. This means improving my success rate in dodging from 66% to 89%. Pratically, my blitzers gain the mobility of my catchers if I really need to dodge before hitting, without risks and without burning rerolls I might use for the blitz-block.
2- I use SF cause when I REALLY need that guard in the rumble, I have a 1/6 chance to dodge anywhere, so I often try. With dodge, it's 1/3 chance to dodge anywhere and to put the guard just in the middle of the fight.
3- SF widens the field of action, dodge helps you getting out once you have reached the border.
4- SF+Dodge means you *almost never* fall, and you are never pushed back. This is the best combo for Guarders, as good as the Side-step-guard combination. You put a player THERE, and THERE he stays.

My first choice for human blitzers is always SF. Should I roll a second double, that would be dodge for sure.

If you think I could take better combos for players with strenght access but without agility access, just tell me what they are.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %08, %2005 - %15:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, Jan, I'm a fan of human blitzers, so let's go there. They start with Block, you give them SF, then Dodge on doubles? Maybe I'm insane, but doesn't your scenario mostly depend on them having Guard, and wouldn't you ALWAYS make guard your first skill (considering the limited ST skill access on human teams)?

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Standfirm and frenzy is a good combo. As is standfirm and diving tackle.

Block, dodge, standfirm, frenzy and diving tackle however... that sucks Wink

Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy a blodge SF beastman on my team "Minions of Mabelrode". Great for bumper's reasoning above, and is also a good blitzer. Gets to dodge away free and use horns to sack his victim. But if he fails to dodge, no biggie; isn't a turn over, doesn't get hurt, and no wasted rr.

Now if I can get him guard or shadowing, he'll be an even bigger headache to my opponent.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, Jan, 3 out of 4 Blitzers on your own "Fighting Hellfish" took Guard as their first skill, if I'm not mistaken?

TheSquig..... We need to play again!

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Ok, Jan, I'm a fan of human blitzers, so let's go there. They start with Block, you give them SF, then Dodge on doubles? Maybe I'm insane, but doesn't your scenario mostly depend on them having Guard, and wouldn't you ALWAYS make guard your first skill (considering the limited ST skill access on human teams)?

Look at my Hellfishes. There's a Block-StandFirm blitzer.

It's not that difficult to skill blitzers up. So I won't waste a double on guard as first skill. After all, with SF he can try dodges and score/hit, gaining spps to reach 16 (which, I repeat, is not difficult). Should he roll normal, he will have guard. Should he roll double, he will have Dodge and wait 31spps for guard. Of course, unless all 4 blitzers have guard, that is my primary objective and I try my best to skill them. After guard, they are just free to wander around the field doing nothing... Very Happy

ps: Macavity, you sure know that blitzers can have guard on normal rolls, do you?

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %08, %2005 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
thesquig

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

lol I agree Macavity. Standfirm is a strength trait, so he'd need doubles on his blitzers to take it...surely you know that Mac!?!

*edit* you obviously did. its speed posting today.

Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

nope, didn't. That clears things up a lot. Also explains why I don't find myself considering it as an option...... Come on, Guys, has anything I've said ever led you to believe I know anything about this game? I still can't figure out where Lizardmen came from...

Last edited by Macavity on %b %08, %2005 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2005 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

So... can someone lock this thread and save me further embarrassment? (I get enough from my football team)