35 coaches online • Server time: 09:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sparta

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
If you play for your CR, retire them IMO

If playing to win equals playing for CR then I guess that's what I'm doing. The game itself can be great fun when losing, but I always have the ambition to win. Don't we all?
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep playing vs teams that have a losing record. Who knows you might get to 99/0/1.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Never retire a dedicated wood elf* team! Mine played their first match at 11 players...and anywhere from 7-10 for the next dozen matches.

Yours will most likely get back up there eventually, all it really takes is playing 'soft' for a few games and getting just a little bit lucky on casualties and winnings. And as you probably realize by now, it doesn't take a full squad of wood elves to score, or even win games...

*or any elf...or any other race for that matter!

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
Keep playing vs teams that have a losing record. Who knows you might get to 99/0/1.

Very creative advice, right on topic and all. Maybe you should start playing them yourself and crawl over that 50% line. I know you can get there. Very Happy
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elves suck!

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I find that I dont get any positionals at all, except for Wardancers wich are a must. I stick to linemen. They are just as good as the throwers and catchers when using them as ball distributers. I never feel bad when a Lineman dies. Put them in harms way. When you get 13 players then buy some throwers and catchers.

Jeffro
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Sparta wrote:
torsoboy wrote:

Very creative advice, right on topic and all. Maybe you should start playing them yourself and crawl over that 50% line. I know you can get there. Very Happy

Well, the advice still stands. Smile

Keep winning games, which gives you +1 to the winnings roll, which nets you more linos eventually. Keep niggled players til you have 11 uninjured players and keep buying new linos, then fire excess niggled players.

Oh, and I've never claimed any coaching superiority. I know there are better coaches out there, and my match record befits me nicely, I think. Wink
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

play to win is normal and linked to "play for CR". Not exactely the same. On a rad for wins, you can admit to suffer a low sometimes.

It's less clear in the statement "play for CR"

They can get back on top level. They will probably loose a game or 2 in the process:

solution: change team or cherrypick
origami

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I find that I dont get any positionals at all, except for Wardancers wich are a must. I stick to linemen. They are just as good as the throwers and catchers when using them as ball distributers. I never feel bad when a Lineman dies. Put them in harms way. When you get 13 players then buy some throwers and catchers.

I disagree - woodelf positionals are excellent. They have the best throwers in the game, and the catchers are awesome for ball retrieval and scoring. At low tr, catchers are actually more durable than linos - dodge allows them to flee danger more easily and protects them when they are blocked. With a mere 6 spp, they become blodgers, which are awesome at low tr when few players have tackle.

I do agree that he probably doesn't need to get a thrower or catcher right now. They are expensive, and with 9 players the first goal is to hire a enough to field eleven. Throwers also aren't really needed at a low tr, and can actually hamper the growth of the rest of the team, as they will get all of the SPP for passes. However, hiring a catcher as the 11th or 12th player would be a good idea.

Woodelves, because of their expense and low av, tend to go through cycles of rebuilding. It's just part of playing them. This really isn't a bad thing either, as they have an advantage a lower TR where there are fewer tacklers/mb/dp. Wardancers and blodgers rule the field at low TR.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

Thread Hijack Warning Exclamation

I dunno, that really depends on one's definition of 'cherrypicking'... looking for not-too-bashy matches to rebuild your badly depleted team is hardly 'cherrypicking' in my opinion: it is rebuilding. Taking your fully fit and rebuilt wood elf team and seeking only games that you are (nearly) sure to dominate, now that's cherry picking!*

(of course, this is a general statement. Whether or not any cherry picking is going on in this team's case is not my point, I haven't even looked at their match record...let alone become able to read their coach's mind...)

*also, going to a ripe cherry tree and picking the fruit, this would usually be called 'cherry picking'
orenji

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
*also, going to a ripe cherry tree and picking the fruit, this would usually be called 'cherry picking'

Amen
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

at TR 130 and 9 guys it can become difficult to compete vs a very skilled coach with same TR.

you need then to maintain a good winning %:
-avoid a dangerous coach (after all a poorer one will fail earlier du to bad moves and rerolls waste and therefore hit less)
-pick teams that are non bashers

that's why -in order to keep you winning % of course- you need to cherrypick a bit
Mr_Launcher

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

You've been unlucky with the casualty rolls. Out of 18 casualties, you've had 6 RIPs (normal is 3). This bad luck won't continue, and thus you can expect to have it easier in the future.

There's one change I'd do, however, and that is to pick dodge over block on your linemen. Since there are more opponents that don't have block than opponents that have tackle at your low TR, dodge will keep them on their feet longer (it is very rare that opponents voluntarily choose both when they don't have block, so a dodge-only player who's getting hit by a non-block opponent doesn't go down more often than a blodger). Dodge also makes it easier to score with them, which means it takes a shorter time to get blodge.
Delta

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2005 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

Thread Hijack Warning Exclamation
I dunno, that really depends on one's definition of 'cherrypicking'...

Which is a nice time to drop in the definition of a cherrypicker
(just a joke people, lets stay on topic here)

*Resume original thread warning*

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that woody team IMO. (but then what do I know!!)

That team has a lot of potential. You have your two wardancers, a tree and no serious injuries.
Keep playing, but if you want them to get stronger, you'll have to spread the SPP's to give the others players a chance.

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2005 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Launcher wrote:
You've been unlucky with the casualty rolls. Out of 18 casualties, you've had 6 RIPs (normal is 3). This bad luck won't continue, and thus you can expect to have it easier in the future.

Not so unlucky, that Dark elf team is (5/3/6) and they have better casualties statistics than my 1st wood elves. But you are rigth about dodge, if you don't play Dwarves of course, they even help you block when you are sort of people as dodge improves your movility so you can put them where you ned.
 Jump to: