62 coaches online • Server time: 23:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades meta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Topper

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to small comments.
IRL hiring a star is always done at a time where the opponent too can hire, so I think it would be fair to say before the match what U intend.
That´s how it´s closest to RL BB.
And I often stall with my Skavens, WE or other AG teams.
Because if I play a bashy team, as I often do, there´s a hell of a lot of difference between having 6/7 turns to score in or just 3-4 turns.
And since all Bashy coaches know this they shouldn´t just stand on the middle bashing my 3 players left there, foul every turn and start to
yell about me stalling.
No they should simply go down toward the ball carrier, forcing him to score.
That´s how I see it anyway.
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

My biggest complaint here is that many of you never played sports. This is a fantasy sports game. Most of you hide behind your pc's and try to ram your fist down someones throat. Or just keep laying the boot when someone is down for the count.

- Dice rapes happen. I dont like them for me or against me. Its like being up 33-7 late in the 4th quarter (NFL) or leading 4-0 late in the thrid (NHL) and trying to score another td/goal by putting your best players out there. If you pulled that on the field/ice, you would get hurt, plain and simple. But since this is a game behind pc's, most of you behave poorly under these circumstances. You dont have to face the consequences of your actions.

-I enjoy my rep as a coach, because of how I treat my opponent when I win. I inore that 7-8th turn blitz when Im leading, I will kick it out of bounds to help my opps 5spp linemen get that pass, I will ignore some pows when all i need is a push. I enjoyblood just as much as paulhicks and deathgerbil, but when the game is decided and the coach has such bad luck, why rub his/her nose in it.

-Serioulsy, some of you should actually try playing sports. I thought it was a europe/NA culture difference here, but its a frame of mind. Its a fantasy sports game and fumbbl would really benefit from more sports minded coaches.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

and less Lions fans.... Damn you Dave Dickenson!!!!!!! Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

thesquig wrote:
Pau wrote:
I don't see how hiring a star without telling you is unsportman like. If he/she has the money you should expect it like you would expect a crowdpush if you have a player on the sidelines.

I see your point, and actually I always check to see how much cash someone has. I will ask what they intend to do with the money and if they lie to me, then I wont play them again.

My point is, if you're going to hire a star why trick someone into it? Have you something to hide? Do you think you wont win the game without the star? Often an even matchup will be spoiled with someone hiring a star.

Your point is very valid, you should check money and I usually do. However, it just seems a little dishonest to hire a star when your opponent expected an even matchup. Depends whether you see the game as 'win at all costs and do anything to do so' or 'winning would be great but as long as both coaches have alot of fun, it doesnt matter'.

My 2 cents on the issue.

I agree with you, I do exactly the same. Checking and asking, but if someone asks me if I'm gonna hire a star I will say the truth. I for exemple never look at the FF and I've got screwed a few times playing bashy teams with ff 3 or so. Sucks when you get your players killed and only get 3k a match. But its my own fault for not looking at the FF when agreeing on a match. Exactly the same than not looking at money.

Damn, thats a lot of periods!
dagda331

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
My biggest complaint here is that many of you never played sports. This is a fantasy sports game. Most of you hide behind your pc's and try to ram your fist down someones throat. Or just keep laying the boot when someone is down for the count.

- Dice rapes happen. I dont like them for me or against me. Its like being up 33-7 late in the 4th quarter (NFL) or leading 4-0 late in the thrid (NHL) and trying to score another td/goal by putting your best players out there. If you pulled that on the field/ice, you would get hurt, plain and simple. But since this is a game behind pc's, most of you behave poorly under these circumstances. You dont have to face the consequences of your actions.

-I enjoy my rep as a coach, because of how I treat my opponent when I win. I inore that 7-8th turn blitz when Im leading, I will kick it out of bounds to help my opps 5spp linemen get that pass, I will ignore some pows when all i need is a push. I enjoyblood just as much as paulhicks and deathgerbil, but when the game is decided and the coach has such bad luck, why rub his/her nose in it.

-Serioulsy, some of you should actually try playing sports. I thought it was a europe/NA culture difference here, but its a frame of mind. Its a fantasy sports game and fumbbl would really benefit from more sports minded coaches.

I learned this the hard way last night Smile
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=832880
that wardancer died because I got greedy - turn 8, 2nd half, I just had to try and get that one more SPP for him, went and picked up the ball from my opponents side, dodged out of his tackle zone to throw to my catcher waiting in the end zone...

tripped and died

all because I was trying to run up the score Smile

Nuffle eventually punishes bad sportsmanship Smile
Gatts

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

It cant be bad sportsmanship goign for a 4th or 5th touchdown, rather the opposite. I play my best to the very end. If im up by 3 touchdowns i aim to win by four, etc. Giving your opponent pity-touchdowns isnt really good sportsmanships if you ask me.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:

well said Direwolf. I just wonder why admins allowed you to change your nick.

Is that possible? Shocked

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Gatts wrote:
Giving your opponent pity-touchdowns isnt really good sportsmanships if you ask me.

Actually it is also cheating according to Fumbbl rules: unlike IRL, players get a solid, tangible benefit: SPP's. And since Ranked is a competetive division, any allowing of SPP's to the opponent is in fact 'cheating' all the other coaches who have to play him and possibly face a skill that he got prematurely. I know it is a minor thing, but allowing free anything is illegal for a reason.

That said, taking it easy and not crowdpushing, turn 16 fouling, or making gratutious Blitzes with a killer player after the game is already clearly decided ought to be permissable and is rather kindly of you, but keep in mind: a turn 16 casualty could give an extra +1 to the FF roll, and an extra TD or CAS or anything will give more SPP, which is something everyone is ultimately after...if real life sports teams got a solid, measurable benefit (like SPP, not just 'better stats' ) from running up scores like we do in Blood Bowl, I think a LOT more of it would happen! Trying to take a lucky opportunity to develop your team isn't quite the same as 'rubbing an opponent's nose in it,' you're doing it for your benefit, not just to shame your opponent.

Not that I've never passed on making a block or two on turn 16 when already winning and the apoth was previously used... Smile
soren72

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2005 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I really consider bad sportsmanship is when a coach challenges you then changes his team (not hiring stars) e.g. dropping asst. coaches / cheer leaders or simply blowing cash to get or avoid a handicap. Mostly happens in 4 vs 4 or similar limited player toruneys, but I've had it happen in ranked games too.

Soren - Back Judge, The Reformed Church of Nuffle
thesquig

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2005 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

soren72 wrote:
One thing I really consider bad sportsmanship is when a coach challenges you then changes his team (not hiring stars) e.g. dropping asst. coaches / cheer leaders or simply blowing cash to get or avoid a handicap. Mostly happens in 4 vs 4 or similar limited player toruneys, but I've had it happen in ranked games too.

I'm with you on this one too. My point about hiring stars is quite relevent to this also.

Greenfort

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2005 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf, you´re right at my page!!

When I´m up by points or cas, I normally go easy on my oppo. Unfortunately this has a tendency to backfire unless the oppo understands what you´re doing Embarassed .
I know I´m likely to be one of the few, but I honestly think about the fact, that when an ongoing game is over you might never play the same team again. If you´ve got what you wanted, then why try and destroy his team????? Crowd-pushes and fouls gives no SPP´s (right??) so why do it when it´s not important???? It´s fun to see a team grow into something special (still hoping for my first of these...) but not that fun to have to rebuild of start all over again.

Might not come as a shock to anybody after reading the above, but I´ve yet to figure out what that little black and white icon with a skull does.....you know, the one in the lower part of the screen Laughing

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2005 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
My biggest complaint here is that many of you never played sports.

Right, i must have missed that somewhere while reading through the FUMBBL Facts. Rolling Eyes

I dont agree Darkwolf. Furthermore, your attitude of giving away touchbacks to help your opponent gain spp´s is in violation of the fumbbl rules.

Your analogy of bloodbowl=NFL/other sports has been posted several times before and still doesn´t hold water. As other posters stated in NFL you don´t get rewards in your games, you don´t build a team during the season. You have your team at the beginning of the season and it rarely changes for the better or the worse except for injuries.

In Bloodbowl your team is ever changing. Barring a concede you´re guaranteed 5 spps/match and usually a little money. So that turn 8 spp-giving cas is important.

Your statement that fumbbl would benefit from more coaches playing sports i find untrue as well. I don´t know which specific interests fumbbl would benefit from but i doubt that it is as simple as that. Would Counterstrike benefit from more soldiers playing it? Would Capitalism benefit from more company leaders playing it?
I doubt it.

True - it´s a sports game but it is primarily a game which can - as any other game - be analyzed in minute details to find the best way of playing it. So more mathematicians would improve my gaming pleasure as i enjoy optimizing - not roleplay. (And believe me, i have fun doing this).

My view of what is unsportsmanlike:

- Fouling and crowdpushing when unimportant for the game outcome (note that gaining the numerical superiority on the field is usually important for the game outcome)

- Hiring stars/players or dropping tr without informing the opposing coach. I just like to know so that i can respond to the new situation.

M
Eddy

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2005 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:

Seriously, some of you should seriously remember this is a fantasy game, and that when your team kills all the opposing players, you are not actually doing any harm to your opponent.

reading you i have the feeling that when you play, you're thinking "ok, this poor chap will be sad if he doesn't get his SPP".
screw that.

if he's sad because of that, he needs to grow up. i'm not changing the way i play to please some spoiled kid who cannot realize he's playing with pixels or minis and numbers in a database or pen marks on a sheet of paper.

EDIT: on-topic, the only unsportmanslike things are insulting your opponent and "trapping" him by spending money/altering your TR _without telling him_ before. the rest is perfectly valid.

crowd-pushing ? just don't put your players where they can be pushed. it's all about creating "fear". if you get crowd-pushed a couple of times, you will begin to fear putting your players in the wide zones: tactical advantage.

fouling on whatever turn ? do it, it's fun. i do it with my friends, i avoid it with "strangers" because i don't want to have to put up with their whining, but it helps seeing the players as they are: nothing more than pixels.

stalling ? of course, why should i let you score ? since plenty of people like to compare with RL sports: don't they ever stall in the NBA ? i'd swear they do. when your KO Box is full or when you have lots of reserves, it would be stupid to score and let you get more players on-pitch. i mean, when your opponent is down 4 players, you continue playing, right ? you don't pass him the ball or anything to "spice things up", do you ? well, stalling is nothing more than keeping the advantage instead of giving chances away.

Last edited by Eddy on %b %22, %2005 - %15:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Buur

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2005 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Seriously, some of you should seriously remember this is a fantasy game, and that when your team kills all the opposing players, you are not actually doing any harm to your opponent.

reading you i have the feeling that when you play, you're thinking "ok, this poor chap will be sad if he doesn't get his SPP".
screw that.

if he's sad because of that, he needs to grow up. i'm not changing the way i play to please some spoiled kid who cannot realize he's playing with pixels or minis and numbers in a database or pen marks on a sheet of paper.

Amen to that!
-Buur

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2005 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You are complaining about people you do not know that they're only sitting behind the PC writing a message on the PC *lol*

strangely enough I'm doing sports (a lot) and 50% of our real life league do so too......but maybe that because the only blood bowlers that you know don't do sports.......eh well...you contradict yourself just by wirting your note here...

Darkwolf wrote:

Jump to: