80 coaches online • Server time: 22:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I look at it this way, if I have cash and my oppo doesn't ask me whether I'll buy s tar or not, I can do pretty much what I like. Then it's his mistake. I mean, I'm not gonna tell him what to do on the field either! But if he asks and I'm going to buy a star I tell him so. If not, I tell him so. But, if I would lie about not getting a star and still get one, that would be bad sportsmanship.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok now we are turning this into a flaming thread let's just try and calm people down...

Do people understand the difference between sportsmanship and trying to win. Just because it is a valuable means to win doesn't make it good sportsmanship.

In a game of football (soccer if you must) if a player dives and wins a free-kick or penalty it is bad sportsmanship, and yet he is trying to help his team to win. In rugby when plays stamp on each other it is bad sportsmanship and so on. Even American sports like in baseball when you delibratly hit a player with the ball to make him walk, it is a good tactic but doesn't make it good sportsmanship.

Now following this logic through it is always bad sportsmanship to foul, crowd push and stall. Although i don't see that i could be seen as bad sportsmanship to 'punt' the ball. Bad sportsmanship is when you try to achieve a goal in a way that is not becoming for a gentleman/women.

So now that we have cleared up what is meant by bad sportsmanship you can decide if that is how you like to play, and don't judge people on there methods just make a mental note not to play coaches you find boring/too good etc. smile and continue. Now let's all have a group hug Laughing

BTW the ansqwer to the original question, disconnecting is the only thing that is frowned on by everyone as bad sportsmanship that will not be tolerated, and as soon as you have agreed to the game you must complete, please don't listen to Gumbo, although what he says may be legal, i doubt you would make many friends with the powers that be if you continued to do it, and banning is not fun.
Price

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I'm not someone who takes the game seriously enough to be bothered by someone stalling for a few turns. Sure, it's a pain if it goes on for more than two or three, but it's also good fun trying to make those last desparate plays in order to prevent the score (especially when you manage it).

As for the remaining points, I'd consider fouling, crowd pushing and throwing the ball up field to be part of the game, they're perfectly legitimate ways to give yourself an advantage. I mean, 'fouling' even has a skill dedicated to it and is a full action within the game just the same as blitzing or throwing. That said, I don't tend to do it myself unless an oppoent goes for a bit of stamping first or I'm using an inherently 'evil' team.

Lets face it, playing High Elves with a Dark Elven team, it'd be criminal not to put the boot in.
Renegade

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
I actually think it IS bad sportsmanship when you crowdpush or foul the hell out of a team or both when it`s already unable to put up resistance to your win. I mean comeon... you beaten this guy and his team. You have the win, you have already damaged his team, so what is the reason for you to step over the line and try to make sure that all the effort he has put into this team is wasted?

I really hoped you would of had that attitude when you fouled my greatest ever Orc team to destruction. Ultimately retiring them and ruining my chances of competing in the last Fumbbl Cup.

Repent your sins goddamnit!! Your turds be smelly too! Amen.

Franchise of Chaos vs Bloodrock Clan
Gumbo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Excuse me freak, but the powers that be don't need to be spoken for. If you agree to a game then you should stick to the parameters that that game was agreed to, and certainly i'd like to hear the actual powers that be give an opinion. I just can't understand how you could a) consider it fair to buy a star either without saying you will or when asked lie about it, and then b) consider it bad practise to then check if the opponent has changed their roster???

As for banning, if i've heard you correct, the game starts when the client is conected to both teams, therefore how can some one be banned for it.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl is a game, not a sport.

If we were playing "live action role playing blood bowl" then slicing up your opponents might not be a good idea. But since we do it with miniature figurines, its what you are supposed to do.

If someone considers fouling bad mannered because he thinks the dirty player skill it is an overpowered and abusive game mechanic, then thats a subjective but valid oppinion.

If someone considers fouling bad manner because it is "not nice" and "unfair", then the person is simply ridcolous and should play another game that involves flowers and manga babes hugging each others.

On the subject of being asked if you were going to hire a star, assuring your opponent you will not, and then show up with him - yes thats bad manner.

HOWEVER i'm NOT saying you have to tell that you do. If you are asked, you can simply say "who knows?" or "maybe" or "scared? ^^".
MrMojo

Post 14 Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:
manga babes hugging each others.

This is the best fouling comment ever, hmmm, manga babes hugging....

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

BigMac wrote:

If someone considers fouling bad manner because it is "not nice" and "unfair", then the person is simply ridiculous and should play another game that involves flowers and manga babes hugging each other.

I wholeheartedly agree on this.

Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

@BigMac
So you shouldn´t lie...but you shouldn´t tell the truth either? Classy. Let me ask you this : Why NOT tell the opposing player that you are going to hire a star? We´ve had reasons for WHY to tell, what are your reasons for NOT telling - especially now that you know some people frowns upon it?

M

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets consider what would happen in a tabletop league:
1) You and your opponent agree to a game
2) One of you states "I've hired ____" this game
3) The other one then has the option to also hire a star.

If you are really so concerned about your opponent hiring a star (although you can usually tell by looking at their treasury and seeing if there is anything they might be saving up for) then simply have them host. If they do hire a star, you still have the option of hiring one also. However, if you see the star then decide not to play them, not only are you being a liar (since you agreed to play) but you are also being a coward.

Perhaps the rules need to be changed so that agreeing to a game and then not connecting is considered a disconnection? That would probably bring its own set of problems though.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Smile People take BB far too seriously Smile

I wouldnt do it myself but if someone did it against me I wouldnt mind at all, if someone fouls me 16 turns + 8 in overtime then thats fine, I dont mind!
If someone disconnects halfway through a match, I will be annoyed for about 5 mins but I got to play half the match regardless, all I would lose out on are a few SPP's
Im glad I have the opportunity to play BB online

Your going to meet folk who try to bend the rules no matter where you go, at work, in school, its no different here, and if you close off one aspect of it, they will find another way to bend the rules!
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I often gape at the positiviness brownrob brings to this community.

But it's true, most of us take this game far too seriosly, which is funny considering it is just a game. But people tend to take games too seriosly anyway. Even chess.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ClemsonPhysics wrote:
Lets consider what would happen in a tabletop league:
1) You and your opponent agree to a game
2) One of you states "I've hired ____" this game
3) The other one then has the option to also hire a star.

That way provides team #2 quite an edge over the first team, as they can hire to counter specifically what was hired from team #1. In the local league I played, either coach can call for a secret ballot freeboot stage. Both coaches write on the back of their team sheets what they are freebooting (or write "none" for nothing). Then reveal it when time. Preventing either team from having an edge.

With this in mind, I don't believe telling your opponent you're hiring in the prematch sequence is illegal and in fact, is more how it should be done.

I generally won't behave like that in lfg type situations but in a tournament...all's fair in bloodbowl.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

all's fair in bloodbowl
asking someone to play your team and then changing the roster AFTER the match is accepted, is cheating and there is no other way to discribe it.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2005 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I really hoped you would of had that attitude when you fouled my greatest ever Orc team to destruction. Ultimately retiring them and ruining my chances of competing in the last Fumbbl Cup.

Repent your sins goddamnit!! Your turds be smelly too! Amen.

Franchise of Chaos vs Bloodrock Clan[/quote]

If you would think about what I have written, you would see, that I followed my standards even in this game.

1) When I win the game 2-0, there aren`t too many turns, where the game is decided.

2) I highly doubt, that I went on with fouling and crowdpushing, after the game was won - your blackorc was killed in one of your blocks, not on a block/blitz/pushout/foul of one of my players.

3) Looking at the report, I should have continued fouling and crowding you, because there were some strange disconnects and you refused to recreated despite the rules.

4) I didn`t retire your team - I killed only one player.

Man, I just hope, you didn`t intend this post as serious and this is some kind of joke.
 Jump to: