47 coaches online • Server time: 17:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dralnu

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

hi, my first post here.....................this is concerning "real life" BB by the way.........

at the moment i play orcs and am getting bored of the "bash the opponent into the ground" tactics and i want to use a more agile/finesse team-

i have whittled it down to either high elves, skaven, or lizardmen

i didnt look at woodies as they would just crumble in my "uneducated"(BB wise) hands.

skaven still look pretty fragile but are cheap and i already have an orge

i like the idea of a throwing game with High elves....

and lizardmen seem cool with bashers and speedsters.....

i just cant chose though!

Thanks
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

if you want finess, nothing is better than "pro" elves, the best scoring team in my opinion
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elves and Dark Elves are the greatest of all elven teams... problem is that in "ineducated" hands they just die and you have BIG TROUBLES replacing dead linos and you have to wait to get the mighty positionals.

I'd say skaven are a good choice. My personal opinion is that Dark Elves are the mightiest of all elven races... But also the most difficult one to start with. Especially if you are used to Orcs and av9 Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Ps: Gary_Gygax is right, but they are horribly broken imho. Too easy.

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

eheh, maybe because of our last match? Smile Anyway, as maybe I told to you too, 4 catchers with nos and catch to start with (thinking when they are skilled....) are just broken like the claw-razor combo...
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it was an enjoyable match, but it confirmed my thoughts: a team which is IMPOSSIBLE to defend against is just broken.
And your team is impossible to defend against.

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I would advice taking skaven then, pros:
cheap linos (good as line fodder and are very expendable), if you are just starting to play something else than "bashy" orcs
Gutters: can outrun just about everyone on offense, and are a real pain to the oppo on defence
Storm Vermin: access to physical, so after doubles they pack quite a punch to make some room on the field.

cons:
Rat Ogre is just about useless, only thing you can do with him is use as LOS fodder
Throwers: useless, just a lino with pass and sure hands (1 might come in handy against those leap strip ball elves)

And every player has access to mutations, so you can do a lot of different things with the players. I usually take FA on the linos, Claw on the SV... gutters? Well, they can either evolve into 1turners, or with dauntless+horns combo, excellent ball stealers, too bad he never got around to getting block.

Just don't over do the claw+rsc combo, it's unimaginative (yes it is, there are so many different ways to build the rats) and it will make it sooooooo much harder to get games.

***Standard disclaimer***
Some of you will have totally different opinions, and that's just fine. I've expressed my opinions and you're free to do the same. As that's just what these are, opinions. And frankly, I've been known to be both biased AND wrong on many occasions.
******End disclaimer****
Dralnu

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

So you wouldnt reccomend lizards? cos then at least i would still have the "Orcishness" in the Sauri...........
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I like lizzies. Not excatly a finesse team, but they can be very fast in right hands. Sauries get pinned easily due ag1, and skinks are fragile. But lizard gameplay is quite different from anything else imo.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem with lizziez compared to orcs is that they start with NO block and their rerolls are more expensive. If to try to play with lizziez the way you are used to with orcs you will suffer a LOT of turnovers. Also the skinks need to be protected more than anything you have ever tried before. I would say stick to AV8 elves for a transition team, and personally I think that in tabletop, given the lesser amount of matches, High elves are better than darkies.

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Lizards is kind of like having a team made of nothing but speedy BOBs and goblins... Once your sauri all have block and maybe break tackle, and you have maybe a couple of blodgy skinks, they're a great team. Until then, they're a bit limited unless you know what you're doing - the sauri are relatively easy to tie up on the LoS 'cos they ain't going to be able to dodge, and the skinks can't really pass very well as they're stunty.

Plus your opposition will be concentrating on burying your skinks; their players may not have tackle at first, but unless you overwhelm them in scaly hordes, they'll pick you off one at a time.

Of course, this is all based on my experience, and I suck as a coach, so take this with a proverbial pinch of salt. Wink
Curro

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Never tried to coach skavens nor Lizzies, but I hate the damned swift gutterrunners!!!
If you want speed, I´d go for the Skavens. They allways run circles around my when I play them. Argh!!!
Really hate that speedies!!
Tommi

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Av 8 elfs are quite nice in the long run, and can build up into very strong teams with blodge keeping them alive. If you want some taste of what ag teams can do quickly, take pro elfs or skaven, as you can get lot of positionals.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro elves; my personal favourite team. Their low AV means tought that you need to know how to play undermaned. Needs experience

Lizardmen:great team. difficult to play. A lizardmen need block and with AG 1 it's hard to get the spps and it makes the team difficult to play. A skink cost 60k and is really fragile. You need to know how to protect them. The lizzis escape hardly to blitz somewhere so you need full optimization of TZ. It's a great team but very difficult to play IMO.

skavens: great team, not that hard to coach except for me. could still be a great choice. I personnaly have problems to skill up linos what creates gasps in my defense.
It's a little bit an all or nothing game. If I get cleaned I loose if not I can with (ps. with elves I can suffer a clean up and still win the game.

darkies: well my least favourite team from elves. They have no catchers and therefore play running ball and I love the passing game.

woodies: great team too. As hard as pros: pros are slower so it's harder to defend with them but little cheaper so easier to rebuilt and replace dead players.

high elf: good team that I like.maybe a bit hard at low tr but cool.

I would pi

Post   Posted: Jul 26, 2005 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven are probalby the easiest of the speedy teams to play, just remember that the ball is all important and make sure you keep a gutter available to take it away from the melee when you get it.

All the Elves (except Woodies) suffer from actually not really being faster than average. It's an important difference between Move 6 and move 7.

Lizards look great and make for interesting play but they're really hard to get right. I love the speed but could never manage them. On the plus side coming from Orcs may actually be useful for the caging skills and familiarity with carrying the ball everywhere. Skaven and Woodies are faster teams though because they can actually pass.
 Jump to: