21 coaches online • Server time: 05:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tabby

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiya there. Whilst I wait fo a game I thought I would ask a question and share my opinion at the same time (I conducted a search but did not find this topic before you all say this has been asked already.hehe).

I am new here and so far have only made teams in the ranked division. From what i understand there are issues of "cherry-picking" etc.

So my question is - what constitutes a fair game?

One example I shall use is last week I was called a cherry-picker for turning down a Khemri vs human match. I thought my Khemri would be pounded on the field - as I saw one of the humans had MightyBlow. Obviously I could not accept that match.

Only kidding.

I dont have Khemri team. But last week a coach of a Khemri team that offered me a game vs my humans called me a cherry-picker for turning it down. At that point I was only able to field 10 men - and did not have an ogre even if I remember rightly (although you can argue the damned ogre is no more useful other than a gap filler).

On paper we had almost exactly the same TR/ST. So is that classified as a fair match-up.?

My personal opinion is that on paper you may have the same TR/ST but you know it is probable after 5 turns your human team will be mince meat at lower level with no MB or Guard to back you up.

Today I turned down a Khemri match with my chaos (yes I am honest and open to flame here - but after-all - I am after honest opinions), becuase I just lost 3 players (2 rip 1 SI retired) - and with 11 men did not want to risk a team of Mummies 4xST5 with block and MB charging through my ranks. I decided to opt for a softer match to recuperate and get some cash to build it up again. The coach that I said this to had no problem - and understood the predicatment.

So I draw conclusion that some who talk of cherry-pickers could well be those that are guilty of this sin? I dont know as I have not been around long enough yet to decide.

So if anyone would like to debate /share their opinion on what a "fair game" is - please follow on with this thread. I am not really into flame wars or name calling etc so lets keep the opinions exactly that - an opinion on what a fiar game is.

thankyou in advance for you thoughts (or for just reading all this crap I have written whilst waiting for a game) Smile
Grouchy

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If you ask someone for a game and they accept, this is a fair game.

If you ask someone for a game and they dont accept, this is a unfair game.

If your asked for a game and you accept, this is a fair game.

If your asked for a game and you dont accept, this is a unfair game.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The 'Fair Match' is a possibly-mythical creature said to live in the mountains of Tibet. It is said to be made purely from gold and has the greatest balance of any living creature. Many brave coaches have been killed trying to hunt down the creature, but none have yet suceeded.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

A fair match for me would be one in which the subjective chance of winning a game is about 50% - the subjective chance is comprised of the relative coach skill involved + (the skill set of my team * available teammates - the skill set of the opponent's team * available teammates). Further inducements are things like available cash, which mean the involvement of star players or wizard to me, and the Fan Factor. If the possibility exists that the opponent team gets a star player, the subjective chance goes down; while the subjective chance goes up if I have enough cash. How does the Fan Factor tie in? At low TR, a low FF indicates more cash spent on positionals, which makes the subjective chance go down. At high TR, low FF means a more negative evaluation of positive outcomes (ie. winning), which in turn lowers my desire to play.

An example is in order: A coach of lower CR challenges me with his Chaos team with two Claws. My Orc team has three Mighty Blow, but one is missing. We have about the same FF and there is no cash available for hiring stars. Even though the skills involved are not in my favor, the relative coach skill diference balances the subjective chance to about 50% and makes it "fair" for me.

Bear in mind that what might be fair to me might be totally unfair for somebody else. There are many factors involved and I might have missed some. These are just the ones that are most salient to me. Other people might put more weight into winning, other might put more weight into team survival. It depends. Smile

Social Psychology students reprahzent!

Last edited by torsoboy on %b %30, %2005 - %19:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Azurus wrote:
The 'Fair Match' is a possibly-mythical creature said to live in the mountains of Tibet. It is said to be made purely from gold and has the greatest balance of any living creature. Many brave coaches have been killed trying to hunt down the creature, but none have yet suceeded.

I always thought a 'fair match' was what you called an attractive female arsonist. Smile
Grouchy

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

This seems one of those posts that could go on and on, and in the end prove or mean totally nothing, enjoy?
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I must agree with some, a "fair match" is fairly subjective.

basically, a fair match is an equal TR/STR rating. There shouldn't be any "if's" and "but's" involved.

But for me, there are. I'll accept any reasonable match withing equal TR/STR rating... unless I've faced a similar team just the match before.
Please, no three Bashy Teams in a row, nor three Elfbowlers.

It's a free league. You decide what's fair for you. And don't let any name-calling change your mind. It's only a game, after all.

Also, feel free to look down in coaches who don't follow your personal code of honour/games. Just don't voice 'em too loudly Smile
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

um, Tabby? This is a cherry-picking thread, like the 200+ others.. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

So what does your smell of Mac?

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

A fair match is where I don't roll quadruple skulls and I only roll snake eyes once or twice, but not at a critical juncture.
Everything else ....bah!
lol
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

A match is fair when both coaches are comfortable with the match up and if they would be comfortable with it when they would switch the teams.

Tabby

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
A match is fair when both coaches are comfortable with the match up and if they would be comfortable with it when they would switch the teams.

Excellent reply Smile
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Tabby"]
vanGorn wrote:

The MOST intelligent thing someone has written here in a LONG time.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, vanGorn is correct.

/me applauds and offers him a beer!

Post 14 Posted: Jul 30, 2005 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice wording VanGorn.

I support that one.
 Jump to: