60 coaches online • Server time: 23:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Finally I made my move across the big sea and have settled down in Ann Arbor, a nice town in Michigan, which is made up mainly by the university and the student-housings.

So I`m getting started in a new timezone, on a new continent - and on a new computer.

Is anyone used to a mac? It took me a while to install and patch the client and I have yet to find a good browser (using safari atm) and an mIRC-like client.

Also I wonder, who are the bad guys I should look out for in this timezone as well as the top-level-coaches here in the state.

Is this just my general feeling or has fumbbl just by far more europeans than US-citizens?

Well, to all the other US-coaches out there, give me a word!
Longrifle

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Word!

Welcome. I've visited Michigan a few times and there is no better place in the summer. Except maybe Ontario, but that's a whole 'nuther country.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Word. Welcome to this side of the pond. As a new Michigainer, please note that the first thing you need to learn is how to describe where you live by shaping your right hand like the lower portion of the state and pointing to your approximate position with your left. This is truly a mandatory skill for anyone living in Michigan, as far as I can tell.

As far as mac users, look no further than the .sig. The .app version is just the regular old .jar file saved as an application bundle - it still runs the same code, the system just treats it like an application, rather than a java document, so it gets better memory handling for better stability and performance. If those words make your eyes glaze over, then try these: it's more better.

Safari's a good browser. I personally prefer Firefox. There are alternatives but Safari and FF make up the vast bulk of mac users - and for very good reasons.

As far as IRC, I'm personally partial to X-Chat, which is a standalone application, just like mIRC. Chatzilla is also nice - instead of being an application, it's actually an extension for Mozilla or Firefox. You can run IRC in a browser window. If you're turned off because it sound like java chat, then please reconsider: It's way, way better. Not even in the same league. I'd recommend giving it a try and seeing what works better for you.

Any other mac stuff, just ask here, PM or email and I can probably walk you through it. I've been playing unofficial tech support for a number of people for quite some time.

As far as Stateside timezones, I'd humbly suggest that between the US and Canada (Plus a smattering in Central and South America), we've got some damn good folks to play against.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll echo BMM on Firefox and X-Chat. I spent a year on an OSX machine and X-Chat worked out quite well for me. With the FreeBSD backend the world is really your oyster now. If half my apps were OSX compatible I'd have stuck around. Those titanium laptops in particular are smooth.

I've lived in every US timezone but the Midwest. From what I hear it's a great place to live. Welcome to the states.
Uber

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

On this side of the pool, there are also Canadians just like me. We're a bit like Americans, but smarter and more polite. You'll soon get to experience it for yourself.

BTW we claim no responsibility for Celine Dion or Macavity.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

uber wrote:
BTW we claim no responsibility for Celine Dion or Macavity.

cough cough cough

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Blame Canada!
Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Though cast out by my country-men (Uber is really just resentful that the Als have a losing record for the first time since '97), I will answer your question: There are more Europeans. Period. End of story. Please note that from Michigan, you can easily escape north. I have relatives in Sarnia if you need help Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2005 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... first of all - thx for the warm welcome.

I have a few games played now, and I still wonder, why the shortcuts for loading/saving setups etc. work only occasionally... I desperatly tried to conceed a game for 3 mins, as my boss was slowly advancing to my desk and the keyboard-shortcut "Q" wouldn`t work for 2 mins and 50 sec, just to start working barely in time.

Well, I have to check, if I can get firefox installed on my work-mac, as I miss the "tabing" of Opera on my IBM. X-Chat is pretty nice, though it`s quite different to mIRC regarding the hotkeys&stuff.

So far, it`s pretty cool here (though not as cool as home of course) and I`m practising on my hand-mapping-fingerpointing-ablity. My landlady is a great teacher as she always talks about her family spread over Michigan and so in an average 10 mins conversation I see her doing the hand-map at least 4 times.

Guess when my girl arrives in the US (she is doing 8 month of practical in North Carolina) we might check out Canada..
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2005 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ann Arbor is a great spot for getting to BB face to face tournaments. You are reasonably close to the GenCon Bowl (4 1/2 hours), the South Bend Slaughter (2 1/2 hours), the Chaos Cup (4 1/2 hours), and not that far from some of the Canadian tournaments as well like the Spike (if they have it again - 5 hours).

When you get settled in ... you might want to check out the FtF action as well. Welcome to the states.

Also the Underworld Cup tournament used to be held every year in Ann Arbor at UCon ... sadly last year was the last, but you might want to see if the Old Boy's League still is running in that area. Cervidal was a major player in that league and if you can find him online in a forum he could definitely give you some ideas of any FtF leagues in the area.

Galak
Kenty

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2005 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Michigan. I have lived here off and on for 27 years now.... well.... 23 if you take out the 4 years I spent in California.... and 21 if you take out the two years that I spent in France..... but anyway.... I came back. So it must have some redeeming qualities. Still trying to figure out what they are though.
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2005 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the US Circular!
I am way over in California, but I visit Ohio (your neighbor to the south) pretty frequently. My advice would be to dress warm for the winter.
Wink
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2005 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember to join the local militia. At least then they won't shoot you.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Cervidal sent me a link to his league in the Ann Arbor area for you to check out.

http://www.bloodbowl.40kfightclub.com/

Galak
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2005 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

GalakStarscraper wrote:
http://www.bloodbowl.40kfightclub.com/

Now Galak, what was the first rule of bloodbowl.40kfightclub again?

You do not talk about bloodbowl.40kfightclub.

Jump to: