47 coaches online • Server time: 20:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The Not Nice Nurgles
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=163183
a team dedicated to experimenting with the value of taking spikes on doubles, has concluded it's experiment. I've found that while spikes do help keep guys on the pitch, and keep them alive long term, it's just not good enough to be worth it over other doubles options. I know that could have been concluded without testing it, but it's good to test things to be sure. As nurgles, the team had a long struggle from having less than 11 players on the roster from games 2 til, i forget what, 30-40.
We have also finally achieved the fabled survivor player: Pestilence
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1879683
with block/dodge/av10(spikes)/regen/foul appearance
With 2 original members, and Nelson being close to original, the team is planning to retire soon.
It was kinda neat aways back when, with most of the beastmen dead, and Nelson having spikes, the team had an average AV of around 9.4 (i forget exactly) Maybe if I feel silly i'll make another team with just 5 guys of all av10.
In conclusion, spikes just hasn't proved that useful (on nurgles).
Zlefin Smile
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got two rotters on my team Minions of Mabelrode with Spikes. Basically for me it's a vanity thing. (I have 10AV and you don't ; )) I would like to give it to the Beast as well.

But yes, the team is getting thrashed and is responsible for about a third of my total losses on fumbbl. If they weren't my first team I created, I would have dropped them a looooooong time ago.

while their are plenty of traits better than Spikes, it's still a useful skill since it is universal (works under all situations).

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

What about dodge and/or spikes?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do AV 10 on a regenerating player?

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

because no apoth and they are very expensive players. Plus, how often do you see 10av on any team? it's....special.

For a 2ag rotter, I'd go with stand firm before dodge. So many teams have killer tackler and dodge has no gaurantees, sf does...and there are few gaurantees in bloodbowl.

but sf and dodge together....now that's sweet Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2005 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I played around with chaos taking spikes instead of the usual claws, and it did open up for a few more elves and such to be willing to play me than otherwise. However, spikes on the first double is just a career-killer, esp if it's also the first skill. You need the basic skillset to compete well--block, tackle, catch or MB depending on position--that spikes becomes more of a "I have a cool player, don't know what else to give him, let's give him spikes so he sticks around longer". Think of it purely as an insurance policy for those special players, rather than any kind of useful tool. (The chaos team got disbanded, but for different reasons--I was doing reasonably well with them, but being unwilling to take only claws like some made it too much of a headache team--simply breathing "chaos" scared off half the teams, and the other half hit harder than I did....got old after a bit...)

Jump to: