43 coaches online • Server time: 17:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interested in the approach and reasoning you have in what players you put on the LOS on defence.
Now obviously it depends on the team you play (if you're Khemri, the mummies are on the LOS all the time) but I'd like to focus on the AV8 elves (DE's, HE's).

My question is really, do you put the guys with skills (esp blodgers) on the LOS following the theory they're less likely to be knocked down
or
Do you put your unskilled linos/nigglers there to take the punishment.

Which tactic do you use and how does it vary depending on the opposition? If your opponents have no-one with tackle, will you put blodgers on the LOS?

What about if you have a lineman or two with Guard? Do they go on the LOS?
I don't put them there because I figure elves will be outmuscled by any strength teams (they'll have more guard) so you're just risking a valuable guy for no real benefit. Against other elves, skaven etc they would go on the line.

Advice please!
Gumbo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Good question. In the first instance, while your building up your team, you should consider whoever you put on the LOS in defense as 'linefodder'. i.e. you expect them to be mullered by the opposition. Now it depends very much on your spp spread as to what sort of player you put there and of course the race your playing against. Certainly never use guard liners as linefodder as they're valuable to you. I think your instinct should be to put your more unskilled players on the LOS first and see how the match progresses, and then if the match is going your way, think about putting your blodgers (unless your playing a tackle heavy team) there so you can get some spp for your other, less skilled players. Other coaches im sure will have a different take on this, but thats how i do it.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I always use the players I can afford to lose (this goes for a lower/mid tr team.
When I have an establised team I'll use blodgers. But only because the 8 other players are more then that...

And as a side note... I wouldn't always use mummies or similiar on LoS

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

In short: anything cheap or injured.

I have the policy of immediately firing miss-niggled players, but sometimes I keep guys that get a bad ageing injury for 1 more game to get some cash.

The only exception to this is that when playing elfball I will consider putting blodge/sidestepping guys on the LoS if the opponent has a shortage of tacklers on the team. That way they have to choose whther to use the tackle for the blitz opening the gap in my lines or to knock down the LoS.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Something you wont miss if it gets killed.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

You're almost right on the spot. Your injured, cheapest and/or least experienced players go on the LOS. If the other team has no tacklers, put your blodgers there. If the other team has tacklers, put your sidesteppers there so your guys only get blocked once. Any team with a guard (or two) can always get two dice on all the guys on the LOS. I used to put my Ogre on the LOS with my humans but found that even they can get knocked down on two dice easily. Also, have your most valuable players positioned so that they can't be gangfouled after a blitz.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't ever like having less then 11 on the field.

Therefore, to avoid an early smash fest of my LOS I put any dark elves that have both dodge and block on the LOS (unless of course dwarfs are about or players with the tackle skill).

More often then not, the elves are harmlessly pushed back. And, if my opponent follows up I can move someone to assist and 2 die block em back.

Another reason to put dodge+blockers on the LOS is they can get the hell out of therre relatively safely with the dodge skill if required.

I just don't like putting unskilled linemen, which WILL be knocked over, on the LOS if I have dodge+blockers. Sure standard linemen are useless, but with less than 11 elves the enemy will only be able to hurt me more.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

(if you're Khemri, the mummies are on the LOS all the time)

Though I'll probably never make a Khemri team (OK, I have - but they haven't got any mummies so...) I don't think I'd put the mummies on the line very often. It's surprisingly easy to get a 2d block against all of them possibly with a 1d block or two among them and what then? With a little luck on the blocking you're team's entire backbone is on the floor - unable to get anywhere. I migth do it against weaker teams from time to time but it's not something I'd do <i>all</i> the time.

As for elves (who were you're initial concern)- against tackle heavy teams it's often wise to put block/Sidesteppers on the line. While it's often a good idea to put unskilled players on the LOS it's far better to place a player with at least block there instead as this increases his/her chances of staying on his/her feet which in the long run also makes sure the player lasts longer.
angelface

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Blodgers are the best choice because a/ harder to knock them down b/ if knocked down they can dodge out next turn.

And after all: if your name is on a bullet, no matter who stands on the LOS, he will die like a rat.
Ironik

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I have noticed a strange tendency to put a blodger under a block is inviting for a POW result.
Dunno about others.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

well to be honest, I often think on fouling a player on the LoS and if I have the chance to do it I will. So i I can target a blodger, it's even better.

As an elfe, I prefere to put bad players on LOS to have good ones putting early pressure on the ball or hinder a forming cage.

So I prefer not to put my blodgers there!

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually put least valuable players there when kicking. +armour guys also go there if that's all they've got.

When receiving, i usually assume there's not going to be a blitz and set up to flatten as many opposition as i can (so use block/guard/frenzy players) - but i guess everyone does that if possible...

Never played Khemri, but as undead i use mummies in the wings when kicking to slow initial onslaught and then bring them in to crush the opposition. With Khemri i'd use them 2 squares back from LOS in a position for one of them to get to almost anyone who dares break through - maybe 3 squares back against fast teams.

BFN

Paul
coffindodger

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually put least valuable players there when kicking. +armour guys also go there if that's all they've got.

When receiving, i usually assume there's not going to be a blitz and set up to flatten as many opposition as i can (so use block/guard/frenzy players) - but i guess everyone does that if possible...

Never played Khemri, but as undead i use mummies in the wings when kicking to slow initial onslaught and then bring them in to crush the opposition. With Khemri i'd use them 2 squares back from LOS in a position for one of them to get to almost anyone who dares break through - maybe 3 squares back against fast teams.

BFN

Paul
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

LoS is the best reason NOT to fire niggled linemen on a new team. Let them die a glorious 3dice PoW Mightyblow death thats what i say.

but yeah with elves i always but the scrificial lambs on the LoS and use them to tie up players for the rest of the half if they stay on the pitch.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2005 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have a niggled DE Blizter with Blodge, +AG and Leap. He won me a lot of games on the LOS before I let him die. Mostly I tend to put the unskilled chumps up there though.