45 coaches online • Server time: 19:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wylder

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone.

Im a newbie Undead player. Ive basicly been choosing my skills straight off the "most popular skill choices" table, since I dont really know much about choosing skills otherwise. For mummies, the table recommends block & guard (obvious choices when trying for a 'box' formation). However for my mummies first skill roll, I rolled a double. The table directed me to get frenzy, so I did.

My question is, why is frenzy almost twice as popular as stand firm? Stand firm would seem to work great with block and guard - Meaning you put your mummy where you want assists, and he remains there no matter what. On the other hand, frenzy forces your mummy to followup, sometimes repeatedly. This can ruin your box formation by forcing you to plug holes with zombie linemen. What makes frenzy so good?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Frenzy people off the pitch. 2nd attempt on knocking someone down, therefore increasing the your probabilities to injure the player. But I think frenzy on mummies sucks, as they are too slow for it.
Kyojima

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Frenzy allows a mummy to do it's job of clearing the field, and you have the added bonus of the frenzy being performed by a ST5 player who has no negatraits other than being a little slow. Break Tackle allows you to maneuver more reliably while in tackle zones, but would you rather dodge your opponents, or hit them? Stand Firm holds similar promise, but is more of a defensive skill than offensive.
Patonius2000

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

frenzy is obviously a more attacking option and in the long run you will get more casualties, as the mummy has more chances of knocking the opponent down. however, it can leave you more open to turnovers and you can often leave the mummy out of positon, i.e. with a whole in your cage, or near the sideline. SF is a good skill which can frustrate your opponet and stop him punching holes in your defence. it also allows you to attempt any dodge without the risk of a turnover. Dodge can be a good skill on mummies as it makes them very difficult to knock over (str5 blodge). Blodge & sf is an extremely good combo imo. Other options include diving tackle (think of the number of times your opponent tries to dodge out of your mummies tackle zone) and leap. Wink
Smess

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

For a first skill frenzy is better than SF because with frenzy you'll hit more cas (becouse you'll roll more pows). With frenzy you'll get your block skill faster.
That's the reason i'd take frenzy as first skill. For second or third SF, frenzy and dodge are all great choiches, just depends on how you wanna play
Wylder

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

That makes a fair bit of sense Smess. It is his first skill, and without guard or block standfirm is not so useful. Im reasonably happy with him (Ive played one game since getting frenzy) and he did a fair bit of damage. Hopefully he can get block/guard quicker now.
patton_71

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

another skill that bears consideration for mummies is jump up...it seems that the mummies spend a lot of time getting to people to smash. jump up basically doubles your move rate if you are down, and the ability to block someone next to you when u are down for free. ive been considering DT later, since lots of folks like to dodge away Wink, and with jump up its no big deal anyway
Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

jump up is a trait
nin

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Jump Up is a trait so you can't get it even with doubles. Stand Firm is great for mumies but greater for ag2+ players with more movement so they dodge and don't trip.
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, doesn't Frenzy only carry out two blocks now, with the latest LRB? So the mummies slow speed of 3 isn't really an issue, is it?

Which brings to mind a question...if a mummy was using blitz movement to hit somebody, and made the initial block at MA 3 (move, move, blitz), would frenzy need to be GFIed before the second block can be thrown? Or does the mummy gain a free MA, effectively?
Pjotor

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

the mummy gains a free MA, effectivly

edit: in the client.. but that's different from the real rules.. see the differences from boardgame txt...
Optihut

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

From the differences compared to the boardgame:
Quote:

(6) LRB 1.3 Frenzy - In the LRB Frenzy if you blitz with frenzy
and run out of movement after the first block you have the
option to GFI for the 2nd block, but you may choose not to
GFI and block. In this game all frenzy blitz moves get
two blocks. If you run out of movement after the first
block you essentially get a second block for free that costs
no movement (but you have no option to not take the block).
Basically this is because I couldn't get it working correctly
the other way. One day I hope to fix this, but for now
I don't think it should affect things much.

So, yes, the Mummy gets a free extra step, even if it already took 2 GFIs to reach the first block. (EDIT#2: Incorrect, see below)

EDIT: Damnation! Pjotor beat me to it, while I was looking up the relevant section...

EDIT#2: My own interpretation of the above paragraph is incorrect. The only difference is when you make the first block with your last point of regular movement. Only then do you get the second block for free in the client. For reference see my post on the third page of this thread.

Last edited by Optihut on %b %18, %2005 - %14:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Vanguard

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

he needs a sec gfi on sec block if out of move

really for free ?
i could swear my mino dont get it for free and fall sometimes sev gfi block
SubSonic

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think you will get extra gfi's in the game. You just dont need to roll gfi's if you run out of movement in the middle of the frenzy, hence "free".
Adar

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think diving tackle is alot better than those choices, having a S5 player right next to some important player is never nice and it gets even worse when you need a 5+ roll to get out of the way... Twisted Evil

Jump to: