50 coaches online • Server time: 20:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

In a game a day or so ago I blocked and RIP'd one of my opponents players. In chat he said "You're not very polite are you ". When I asked him what prompted that, he responded that it was polite to say "sorry" if you RIP a player.

It got me thinking about whether you should (and I don't mean in a "have to" sense but in a "it's kinda appreciated" way) say sorry.

Now I usually do say sorry when I injure/kill an opposing player. I have some attachment to my pixel players (given the effort it can take developing them) and I don't like losing 'em (the good ones anyway) and I suppose other coaches feel the same.

Now getting casualties is good (helps you win games, get's spp's) but I don't intentionally set out to emasculate any team ; I'm just as happy with a BH as anything. It's the fault of the dice if it's a RIP.
So, given it's not intentional and my opponent might be saddened by the event - I say sorry.

I didn't with this guy 'cause
a) He hadn't chatted much (i.e. not at all) to that point; I think English may not be his first language.
b) He'd fouled me a few times leading up this (I'm a non-fouler and say so in my teams bio) so I was grumpy.

Saying sorry in that situation would have been hypocritcial of me. I don't like fouling and if he foul's my guys then I'm GLAD he lost one of his (mean-spirited I know).

Sometimes I think it can come across as condescending to apologise, particularly if they've already had a string of casualties and Nuffle is serving up some harsh treatment. Sympathy at that point seems to me to only make it worse.

So, do you say sorry? Why?

Do you expect that courtesy from your opponent if it happens? Do you appreciate it or you don't care?

ps. Please don't respond with that drivel about "It's called Bloodbowl for a reason". I know that; eveyone knows RIP's happen. I'm just interested in whether a 'sorry' is a sign of respect, an acknowledgement of the camaraderie that exists between (some) coaches or whether it's unlooked for and unappreciated.
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I know that in my personal opinion, I don't LIKE it when my players die, but I'm not going to get offended if the opponent doesn't offer an apology. Especially if I forget to buy an apothecary and bought another player before the match instead. *grumble*
Synn

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Nonsense..... you were legit.

Indeed if I were you I would have mounted his sister/wife and kicked his dog, but again, that is if I were you. Twisted Evil

People always say sorry (or more accurately "sry") when they splat one of my players. It does not bring my player back to life and I enjoy the fact that the opponent plays hard against me for I feel I have earned that right.

Besides..... I do smile everytime a wardancer is maimed.

Peace,
__Synn
Dunkpork

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate a "sorry" when someone kills one of my players with a gratuitous block (something completely unrelated to the action around the ball, off on the farthest corner away from the real game which won't affect the score in any way and is only for SPP and pain).

I don't bother blocking on 15th/16th turns when the game is essentially over. Death is part of Blood Bowl. Useless wasteful and gratuitous killing doesn't have to be. Saying "sorry" may let your opponent know you aren't just there to pick on his lowest av, most vulnerable players because they give your 80 SPP Ogre yet more SPP. In turn, it might make him a more pleasant opponent.

If you just want to get off on upsetting your opponent, then don't apologize and don't care that you're headhunting his star players in the 16th turn because it would be even more hurtful to him/her and even more like you're a black shadow ninja computer assassin DEWD.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen some coaches get offended if not apologized to for a RIP; some who get offended if you DO apologize. Some who offer apologies if they BH a player; others who laugh maniacally if they niggle or RIP your guy. If there's one pattern I've seen, it's that there is no definable pattern across the bloodbowl stage (and having played almost a thousand games here on fumbbl I've seen quite a few coaches/styles).

Bottom line, just be yourself. If you feel the need to apologize, do so. Just be sincere if you do--it's quite rude to taunt and scold, then throw out a sarcastic "sry" which you don't mean. Either mean it, or don't give it. In the end, you'll meet coaches who share your particular playstyle and approach, and these are the ones who you'll enjoy playing over and over again! Although I've played vs hundreds of coaches, it's my repeat games vs the same coaches (might be same teams, might not) which are the most fun, both from a rivalry perspective and a comfort zone reached when you both can laugh at death or cry on each others shoulder, whatever floats your boat.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I often reply with "Dang ... that was nasty"

I'm not particularly "Sorry", but I wish it had not happend none the less and I appreciate that death occurs at the whim of Nuffle.

However if my opponent has purposefully set out to foul my players unnessarily off the pitch and I happen to kill one of his I reply with "Take that you nasty bitch, and say hi to yo momma for me"
Superstar

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you need to apoligize. Especially not since he fouled alot already. I don't apoligize ever, and i find it disturbing when people do. It's BLOOD bowl after all. It's part of the game. Should i apoligize every time i score and win a game, since after all, it do lowers his CR? =) Hell no, if you can't handle that it's just a game, go see a shrink.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 06:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate apologies when people engage in petty personal attacks on the forums thus disrupting the ongoing discussion in the threads. But I don't expect apologies when someone kills one of my players as the coach has no influence over the type of casualty. And as most coaches (with the rare exceptions of those coaches playing in slayfest groups) would prefer the BH to the death anyway.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

i will only ever apoligize if i mean it. if i don't like the guy i'll say nothing. if he fouls with no goal in mind, i'll laugh at his death. if he's playing a team that's made to kill, i'll say nothing. if he's playing to win (even if there are some dirty tactics) then i'll apoligize (unless i'm using my chaos which keeps records so i'm happy to get more kills).

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

It's nice to apologize, if only to show a little homage to the deceased player. But then, on the other hand, sometimes I feel hypocritical for apologizing, but I still do (most of the time). I don't think it's impolite not to, however.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

People apologising makes me want to kill every single one of their players. It patronising and hypocritical. Players are aware that actions can result in death. They obviously decided to do so anyway, so they aren't sorry at all, simple as that. Particularly galling is when this occurs on a foul or one of those frivolous end of game blocks (note - not against any of these) - the entire purpose of which is generally to cause a casualty. The excuse that a death is not a likely outcome is understandable in normal play, but when your objective is to cause an injury the 1 in 6 chance of death makes it completely ridiculous to say you're sorry.

I am never sorry that I hurt my opponents player, regardless of how, who, when, where or why.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 06:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Whenever anyone kills one of my players (and it happens a lot) and they apologize, I almost always say the same thing - "Hey, don't worry - it's a rough sport". Nuffle rolls the dice, and if a couple big numbers come up - well, such is the nature of the game. You didn't make that happen simply by hitting my guy - which, of course, you are supposed to do.
Pau

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I won't apologize for killing one of your players. I hate when people do so to me. Its not like you raped my dog and cut it down to pieces and force feed me with it. You rolled a bunch of 6 and a bunch of pixels died. EACH and everyone of your players is either gonna die or get retired someday. Noone will live forever, once you understand that you will stop caring about them like if they were important.
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Screw ettiquette. Give them a good hardy "lol" or "Ha! Ha!" (Nelson style) and move on.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2005 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

As we have no power over injuries, I see no reason to apologize. Maybe just a little laugh, instead.

Jump to: