44 coaches online • Server time: 15:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mimashi

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

This game should be called bLOod bowL Laughing

Anyway... there is a difference between having a claw or a dirty player and having five. So maybe refusing a team that will almost surely terminate yours is understandable... refusing to play an orc with some mighty blows because you are a wood elf is just plain silly.

My 2 cents..
dannyrax

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're right Chunky, I do need to fix a goal. And mine is pretty much to play the game has much close to what it should be, or have been design to be. It's probably not going to be a top ranked team, but I hope to make it last as long has I can. I was speaking to a friend today about the way my thread had got and he suggested that I do try to get involved in a Tournament of somekind in Fumbbl. I'm just starting out here, I was hoping to build slowly an interresting roster of a couple of good teams. Maybe then I will go for tournaments... I don't know.

I would really like to build teams of:

Dark Elves
Chaos (obviously)
Skaven
Orcs
Elf
Goblins cheaters

I have one of each (not goblins though) right now, but I was hoping to play them ranked. I know now that you can transfer from ranked to unranked but the other way around is impossible (which is ok... logic). I will have to go and make my skaven team grow (at least five games) then I will probably retire some Unranked teams and create them in ranked divisions.

Do you have to wait that you play five match with every new team you have in ranked to be able to build a new one after second?

D
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're goal is for it to last a long time in Ranked, I'm afraid I lack the practical knowledge to do so - I've never been patient enough with the wat Ranked is played to get a team to that stage. My advice would be to not stock up too much on killer skills as others have suggested. The Chaos team can still function without trying to be an uber death squad - in fact in the current incarnation of the rules I thinks actually inefficient from purely a winning perspective. They do give you a very good slate to work with in terms of each player being able to do a number of things reasonably well, and blitz very well.

On the tourney side, it sounds like you'll eventually want to join a league that runs along similar lines to a tabletop league, where you don't choose your games and do the best you can. Most of the good ones of this sort of league tend to operate along geographical lines, mainly due to the problem of getting regularly scheduled games played with time zone differences. I have no idea if this sort of league exists for the American timezones. You may also decide you enjoy some of the many weird and wonderful tourney ideas people come up with.

To be honest you sound like you'll enjoy yourself a lot more if you just play and work these things out for yourself and ignore the various people with their agendas (including me).

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1825

This is a league for American Coaches. 58 teams have signed up so far, and It will be starting January 1st. The league organizer is an experienced, dependable coach which is extremely important for the long term (or even the short term) success of the league.
SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

To kind of follow up chunky's line of thought, surviving long-term in a division like Ranked, I admit I don't have a lot of experience on which to fall back, but generally it's better to hire more lineman types and start with more team RRs rather than going heavy on the positionals and short on team RRs. If you can squeeze it in, buy an apothecary, especially for low-armor teams or teams which rely on their positionals to really make any early progress (which, frankly, are not many). Alternatively, (try to) buy an apothecary after your first game.

I've noticed too that a LOT of bashy-team players really bank on having lots of strong players, and count on that to win games for them without giving tactics or general ballhandling much thought. Try to build your team with SOME reroll skills, so you aren't burning your way through team RRs (and won't have to spend as much cash on team RRs), and you have a chance to handle the ball on defense when you manage to pop it loose. I put great stock in skills like Sure Hands, Sure Feet, Pass, Catch, and Dodge for those teams that have them available early - and of course, Block!

Now, perhaps this has a lot to do with my style of play - I'd consider myself to prefer bashing and running game with some eye toward balling, but I admit my tactics are often weak or ill-considered, hence my penchant for reroll skills. But I also can't count how many games I've probably won in the weenie TR range simply because some of my opponents didn't bother to give their team's support structure enough thought - they were short on RRs or FF, or had so many bashy players that they couldn't keep the ball once a couple ballhandlers were destroyed (lizardman teams come to mind here).
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

First Thing: I read it for the first time and the FUMBBL community makes it a "BLOODbowl" discussion (while yes danny said it first). Stop it we've had enough of them.

Now Chaos advices:
delete the team! I made some similar mistakes in chaos too and this team will in the end, have to be retired (unless you cherrypick or be a great coach).

Starting formation:
-1 troll
-2 CW
-8 beastmen
-8FF
2 rerolls

that's the best starting lineup I found in the team.

First purchase: apo

skills on linos: block but at very first kick
CW: block then guard
doubles: claw
avoid Claw+RSC in order to get games

Play a bashy running game at the start. The cage slow advicing chaos just work in case you have 4 CW well skilled.

For your team, I would advocate for a troll. Don't get me wrong, I prefer ogres to trolls but your FF is low so sparing money is a key. Not reliable: sure he isn't but you have no strenght. You need to hinder as many players as possible and a BG is the perfect job for that. with horns and the help of a str 4 CW it's your best chance on effective running game. Ok a CW is a better player but do NOT forget the goal that is to win. So you need players for a specific task.

I am afraid your FF will go lower because 1 CW and beasts at TR 140 implies losses. tbh it will be difficult to get up (you still need 400 to 420k to have your full team).

Good luck, it looks a bit bad!

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Well just to let you know, that I retired the team after having suffered two RIP and one SI in the four first turn of my 9th game with the team. I had no chance of recovery with my FF at 5.

I guess I should have been more lucky at the start of the life of this team. Too many deaths and so little cash flow is just the exact mix you need for failure...

I will start from scratch and hope it gets better.

Thx for the advices anyway.

D

-Al Pacino in Carlito's Way (1993)
StarBreeze

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Its fun to put your teams in gamefinder, and see that only your elves get games (mostly against 10 guards 8 mbs dorfs) while your chaos get refused by same teams (hello, you have av9 and i have 5 claws...).
Who said bloodbowl.
This is ballet.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

/rant mode ON
This is an open format. You can choose to go popular and have lots of chances to get games, and you can choose to go unpopular and get few offers.

If you go unpopular and THEN whine about the game not being fair for killer teams, you either are very misled in your teams selection or you don't know how an open format works. Either way, you deserve to get as few games as possible.

I choose to coach no-DP humans, and I can find games vs any other team type in less than 5 mins, even now that I am TR 240. If you want to play bashy and only select claw, you should well know that here at Fumbbl you will spend tons of time *waiting* instead of *playing*. This is something any experienced coach here at Fummbl should be aware of. No need to keep -and keep, and keep- advertising about the BLOODbowl part of the game. It's useless and boring, and about your "no games" problem I have just one thing to say: you asked for it.
Rolling Eyes
/rant mode OFF

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I like both parts of blood bowl but it is hard to play both at the same time. So I have teams that are all for the casualties, usually in the stunty league (see my skryres), and those who try to play ball(my skavens try to do that).
Well I'am still a beginner coach so I have played a lot with the easyer bashing style, but trying now to play more ball with the only needed blocks. And playing ball can be as fun as getting loads of casualties, need just more skill. It seems that skill can come only after failure, in my case at least.(I fustrated in my first game with DE, almost anything I tried, well, didn't end up as planned. Propably due to lack of expirience with elf's)
I think that all the skills u can take on ur player are made to be used, otherwise there would not be such a skill would there? Personally I'am not so fond with the DP skill though....
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2005 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Montagne wrote:
Its fun to put your teams in gamefinder, and see that only your elves get games (mostly against 10 guards 8 mbs dorfs) while your chaos get refused by same teams (hello, you have av9 and i have 5 claws...).
Who said bloodbowl.
This is ballet.

And, this is a girl talking Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2005 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

*BUMP*

My Advice is spend no Double for Claw if you are not prepared for the answer when challangeing someone: "I dont play chaos" and you say but its just one Claw and he hasnt even block (other mutation are FA and Big Hand) and then it goes "Chaos are broken"

If i get more skills on my chaos, which I doubt (cose i basically stopped playing ranked, not that i dont like it but U tournies are more fun) i would probably go with tentacles or standfirm on CW (with Block and Guard really nice at 31 spp)
on Beastman i would develop special task for them
Ball carrier (Big hand, sure Hands, block on second double maybe pass)
Defender with my MA+ (Block, Tackle, shadowing maybe pass block prehensive tail or dauntless on doubles)
Blitzer (Block, strip ball, tackle dauntless, dodge on doubles)

On team construction i would say get four CW before getting a BG. 4RR is enough.