49 coaches online • Server time: 15:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lamby16

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Although I know this is a game your supposed to learn yourself and everything, I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas about skill choices. I've got 3 to sort out.

1 is for a Block, Tackle Blitzer

2 are for Throwers

I'm thinking Guard for the Blitzer and Accurate for the throwers

Good Idea??

Edit: This is a Human team!

Last edited by lamby16 on %b %29, %2005 - %00:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
BiggieB

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

depends on what kind of playas ya looking for
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If you start with tackle on a blitzer, Mighty Blow is nice to have to take down those catchers. Other blitzers can take guard as first skill to take more of a supportive part.

I thrower should go the throwing route with accurate, safethrow and strongarm on doubles. The other one could be your thrower on defense with block, kick and NoS on doubles.
calgar1728

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

well guard is a good choice for the blitzer, helps you get more 2d blocks, or mb. its not really hard to decide for the first skill, accurate is a solid choice for the thrower.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to disagree with Circularlogic and think that the throwers should take safethrow first and accurate later: Most of the time you really need to get the ball over an opposing player to your guy. Throwing long passes and long bombs is something that's more rare and should be trained after you have safe throw to ensure that your quick and short passes can hardly be intercepted.
Markusen

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

No, definitly Accurate.
If you really HAVE to throw over an opponent, you did something wrong in your offence action.
Anyway, you need that pass coming up to your target player. Accurate increases your succsessful throw, especially if you just have AG3. If you really have to throw over an opponent, well, try to make the interception attempt as hard as possible. Place a player besides him and do not throw over players with catch(!).
You'll need your Accurate skill far more often than a Safe Throw.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.. 4+ passes are too dangerous for my taste, so I try to play with 3+ passes only. Without accurate that means I am limited to quickpasses. With accurate I can throw shortpasses, too which increases the range of a thrower by 4 squares. That means, my thrower can stand in the backfield, unreachable for average blitzers (up to MA8) and still doesn´t have to throw a risky 4+ pass.
That means I can use my blitz to clear up my reciever OR the throwing-path instead of having to use it, to clear the TZ from my thrower before he passes OR have to make an extra handoff.
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Accurate always first for ag3 throwers imho. safe throw? Other skills i would get my thrower before that for sure.

regardig the blitzer - depends on what you planning on playing mostly.. if you gonna play fast teams with catchers (that usually got blodge pretty fast) id go for tackle elseway guard or mb:)
wiry

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never taken safe throw, and I have never needed it. SF is for desperate throws and in that case I'd take hail mary any day... much cooler Smile
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're keen on learning from what other people have done, take a look at the Skill Popularity Statistics (Via: Help > Reference Sheets > Skill Popularity Statistics). The choices in there can be a good way to get an idea of how people usually develop their players. The other thing you can do is take a look at specific other teams, and see exactly what people have done in unusual circumstances (e.g. after getting +ST for a thrower ... what do you do with him...). There have been so many teams & players on FUMBBL that most of the variations you'll come up with have been tried by someone else before Wink

SolomonKane

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think most AG 3 Throwers that are the first of their type on the team should take Accurate then Block. This allows them to play safety on defense with a fair chance to scoop up the ball after a hit on a catcher. Block also helps them keep their feet while their teammates are still building the required skills to protect a ball carrier from blitzers. Later, you can develop an Accurate/Safe Thrower to replace your original thrower with more passing power (or the original thrower can take Tackle, Kick, NoS, or some such and remain a defensive player).

Sounds great in theory anyway. I haven't actually developed throwers in such a fashion, yet, but I've been happy doing that with my initial Orc Thrower - Block has especially given him much more utility, as he can hit well enough when he doesn't have the ball.
xen7ric

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2005 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I always think accurate is a must, especially on an AG3 thrower. Then block is nice but I tend to think dodge is also very useful because you have to be able to get the thrower to the ball (although it's a double)... After that I'd think Block and Safe Throw.
 Jump to: