19 coaches online • Server time: 08:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2005 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to get in before chunky blows a logic valve...winning stables *are NOT* more likely to be less beat up. There is plenty of games to view where the winner was also the loser in the CAS battle. Elf coaches know this well. As well...a stable can "win" with one win and 2 draws...thus the drawn games (and the winner for that matter) could have indeed suffered many CAS.

But...my opinion dosen't change...it is a big blue over nothing. Either the coin decides OR the "losers" decide...but either way picks will be made and the bast laid plans of a captain will be foiled by a loss in a "lock" game.

If THIS topic is going to dominate I sugets we move on to the "5 points sweep" issue. THAT is much more at the heart of "keeping stables close" Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2005 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah definatly.. but the 5pt sweep thing should be reviewed at seasons end when we have some data to analyse.

my thoughts a sweep should count for one extra win.. 2 more points.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2005 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, actually for a change oz I decided to shut my gob.

Its a practice I'm trying to get used to.

Calm blue ocean... calm blue ocean...

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2005 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

*sigh* I wasn't talking about one-off results. Myself and I daresay SM were looking at a bigger picture. Show me some tournaments that finish with the a majority of more beat up teams on top in the rankings at the end of the season. I bet you'll find hardly any, or at least a significantly lower proportion.

I really think this is a great idea, but alas, everyone's gone off down another road hardly relevant to the original idea again and it'll be forgotten.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2005 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

For interest's sake, I got a reply from a PM I sent to SideshowBob a couple of days ago about the Swedish Stable.

Pasted below.

SideshowBob wrote:

Hiya, since we are on very different time zones, I will try to write as much as I can, but feel free to contact me if you find me in the chat. Svenska = Swedish, thats correct Smile

We have just finished the first season with 10 stables, with 3 teams in every stable and where the coaches (with few exeptions) comes from the same town, or part of Sweden. This to add a little to the fluff and rivalty, and this idea added a lot of nice trashtalk in match reports and such Smile

Now for your questions...

-Structure

We divided the league into 2 divisions where the division winners met in a final. Every stable has three teams, and just as in your league, we have one bashy, one soft and one in between. But before the league started, every team played 4 games in "Svenska Bondeligan", which is a affiliation league to the Swedish League, and now also for the Swedish Stable league. I think you guys have something similar in SWL, right?

If we needed a replacement (actually only happened once), we could use a team that had played 4 games already, and probably quite close to the TR of the other teams in the league.

No TR cap. We Swedes love to play the high TR teams, which you can see if you check out some of the monster teams in the Swedish league... Smile

But for next stable season, teams will start with max 160 in TR. Both if you want to keep your old team or create a new.

Assign matches-

The stable with less league points gets the first pick. The leader can choose the first matchup, OR he can let the other stable choose the first matchup.

When the first matchup is set, the other stable chooses the remaining two matchups.

Thats pretty much it. The first season was very succesful with almost 100% played games, we had only one slacker stable actually, and lots of good exciting games, where loads of league members spectated every game.

I you have more questions, just PM away mate!

Good luck to you and your league, hope you will have as fun as we have with ours!

Snorri wrote:

Hey Bob,

Noticed a week or so ago you guys have a swedish (svenska=sweden?) stable league - we've set one up for the Southern Wastes League recently, but haven't really managed to come to some practical solutions for some problems that will ultimately arise in the running of the group.

Was wondering if you have any good advice/ideas on it you would be willing to share given you guys have been running it for some time now.

- What sort of structure do you use for each stable? We're going with a 3 team stable atm where one team must be bashy, one soft and one team in between.

- How do you allow for replacement of stable members? We can see this being a problem when many of the stables are TR150+ and a new TR100 side replaces one of these higher TR teams in a stable.

- Do you use a TR cap on the league?

- How do you assign matches?

Probably good if I catch you on IRC sometime - too many things to put in a PM!

Cheers,
Snorri.

-----------------
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2005 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Snorri wrote:
*sigh* I wasn't talking about one-off results. Myself and I daresay SM were looking at a bigger picture. Show me some tournaments that finish with the a majority of more beat up teams on top in the rankings at the end of the season. I bet you'll find hardly any, or at least a significantly lower proportion.

I really think this is a great idea, but alas, everyone's gone off down another road hardly relevant to the original idea again and it'll be forgotten.

I am not sure why there sems to be so much "weight" on your shoulders Snorri. While the picks define the "point of difference" in Stable...I just don't see it being that big a deal. I, as a captain, would be just as likely to match 2 coaches who have a better chance to get the game in as to pick a rock vs paper match. If stables ARE geting beat up I don't think first pick is going to help stop the rot anyway. For all the fine details, the REAL beauty of Stable imo is the trio itself! The interaction of a group working as a team and the group dynamic to the trash talk and fun of the weeks round.

But if it makes everyone happier...I vote to give the pick to the Lesser stable.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2005 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought I'd Reiterate my 2 cents and say I thought SM's idea had merit. As maybe borne out by its use by the norsemen in their Stable League. Again I say we play this one as it is.. we are pioneers for the stable format in SWL and there are bound to be some teething issues. Topics for discussion at stables conclusion are:
* How did the bonus 5 points play out over the season did it even out or was it evil gentrification rearing its ugly head once again... oh alas for society.... (sorry where was I).
* The proposed removal of a coin toss to decide Captain choice of match ups.. except in first round and any rounds with equal points (To instead be afforded to the team that sits lower in points on the championship ladder). I think this is a great idea for keeping the stables perhaps more closely matched and making each game more exciting and important to the coaches. As stated in many posts it still comes down to coaching and the intrinsic choice of matchups is designed to even things out. Picking the First game is an advantage but so to (almost more so) is choosing the next two. In theory the matchups chosen should result in a win.. hence the team picking second should win 2-1 everytime (As If).
* A point that 'toss' winning captain can choose first or second.. not sure if this really came through as being an option when the Stables started.
* Maybe a refined format based on any trouble this season for working out replacement sides. Not sure about their system with the 4 game thing.
* Some strong debate at seasons end re: team capping, resetting etc... though ideas should be tossed around now I think without getting too heated or worrying about it all just yet. My preference is to see some sort of rivalry maintained. Everyone loves to develop a team but this cant be at the expense of Tournament balance. Stables should be maintained if possible, thats where the rivalry should be, coaches can swap stables but create teams based on the ethos of the original stables, new ones could be formed too. Unless we eventually develop tiers as per the regular season there will always be problems for new teams/new stables. Perhaps a team cap for next season (Whats a good agreed apon figure based on what.. 11 games? but not too high as to be ridiculous for starting teams) but with the aim of tiering the competition for the season after next?
chunky04

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2005 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Having secured our second victory running, the Wang Tang Clan has this to say:

We pwns you!

Look for another victory from us in the next round, despite us likely fielding 10 players in each game.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2005 - 06:42 Reply with quote Back to top

2 draws and a win counts as "pwning"??

my how times have changed

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2005 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

We're still undefeated mate, none of you other wimpy stables can say the same ;p

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2005 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

no, you're wrong, we got a draw last round, so therefore, we are also undefeated Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2005 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, but there is a loss this round - its yours :p

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

yes well, when dwarves play like elves, there is little true elves can do about it Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Who me? Are you looking at me?

Very Happy
chunky04

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2005 - 05:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Excuses excuses :p