23 coaches online • Server time: 08:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

After having a conversation with the Purple Chested one, I was wondering, who are some of the favorite authors of Fumbbl Forum Readers?

I am reading a lot of James Patterson right now, but for what it is worth, my favorite fantasy author has to be George R.R. Martin.
ultwe

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

G.R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb, Terry Pratchett, H.P. Lovecraft, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Melanie Rawn... (all in no particular order)

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Gatts

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

neil gaiman and haruki murakami, neither of them is really a fantasy author (though they do write fantastic books) but there is an element of dreamynes and imagination in their works that i cant find anywhere else.. love them to death!

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

about the only book i will pick up at the moment is Terry Pratchett and mainly his Discworld series.

allthough i did read a few of the WWF (WWE) Wrestlers Auto???? Biographies and found them quite interesting at the time.

albator2001

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

In the order:

H.P. Lovecraft, Frank Herbert, Fredric Brown, Isaac Asimov and Van Vogt !
Istarios

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Douglas Coupland, George RR Martin, Terry Pratchett, Jan Guillou and Tolkien would be my top five
Meech

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like Neil Gaiman too. I just read his American Gods and loved it.
Melmoth

Tolkien, Rebecca Gable, Ken Follet, Henning Mankell and many more, I prefere History, Fantasy and Crime;-)
Emphasy

Carsten Jensen, but i guess he is only known here in Denmark:)
Elseway i like biographies etc., being the most interesting reading
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

C.S.Lewis, Peter Kreeft, Timothy Zahn, Geoff Johns, Devin Grayson, Joss Whedon... Philosophy and Comic Books for me!!! (Though I love Tolkien, to)

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I read in spurts i suppose, but these spurts are rare (about 20 per year id say). However I read many books by certain authors during these spurts. Recently I have had read many books by C.S.Lewis, Desmond Bagley and Dan Brown. I would also recommned "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, though this is the only one of whoms i have read
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I read mostly history and some fantasy. But I do not have as much time to read as I want to. I have around 100 books and still need to read about 50 of them...

My favourite author is Collen McCullough. She has wrote The First Man In Rome series, which is 6 books, each between 500 and 700 pages, about the Roman Republic from 110-41 b.c., she also wrote Troy and Morgans Run. and some other books.

Jan Guillou for the Arn-trilogy has to be mentioned also.

Also Mario Puzo, the man behind Godfather, The Sicillian and the Last Don

My favourite book is Knockin' on Anys Door by Williard Motley...and the follow up to that one.

So the list looks like this: Collen McCullough, Jan Guillou, Mario Puzo and Williard Motley

Edit: Added some more, and spelling correction

Last edited by Skeloboy on %b %20, %2005 - %22:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
matzon

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

some of my favourites play on my chaos team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=194912
Aries3

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

in no particular order, R.A. Salvatore, Dean Koontz, George RR Martin, Glen Cook, Anne Mccaffrey, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Frank Herbert, Piers Anthony, Tad Williams, Jennifer Roberson
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2005 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I love:
David Eddings (all books)
Terry Pratchett (discworld),
Robert Jordan (WoT first 5 books were great, after that they grew lame, but anyway),
J. Rowling (Hairy P*rnstar),
Tolkein (everything except the Silmarilion)
Anne McCaffrey (all books - some a lot of fun)

Can't stand:
Raymond E. Feist (fantasy books - he wrote 1 great book mixing faeries n elves into the real world, its the rest i can't stand)
Melanie Rawn (Sunrunners is admittedly a great concept, but her plots are to big, and u lose track of the names)
Robin Hobb (too suicidal for my liking)
Terry Brooks (if i remember correctly, every 'non major' character met a painful end)

EDIT:
oh yeah, Jennifer Roberson is good (for 15 yr olds), Tad Williams is smooth! Nice one mate!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]

Last edited by LordSnotball on %b %20, %2005 - %23:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: