29 coaches online • Server time: 01:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2006 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Fringe: Fledgling Frenzy

The Fledgling Frenzy is a series of tournament for new / near-new teams arriving in the SWL Fringe. It's an interesting way to get some of those nice new teams a few matches in before they are unleashed into the wasteland that is the SWL Fringe.

This thread is updated regularly with any information about the series, due dates, new tournaments, etc. For any info on the series, or a particular tournament, feel free to send me a private message, or ask in this thread.

<hr />
The Fledgling Frenzy now has a group page, which can be found here.

<hr />
Please feel free to add comments & suggestions to this thread (particularly if you are playing in one of the tournaments) Very Happy

Last edited by Laviak on %b %28, %2006 - %13:%Mar; edited 31 times in total
bartgoon

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2006 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Nuffle is obviously favouring comedy teams with the thralls off to a flying start! Thralls for the flag!
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2006 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

xstatika's thrall team got a win in their first round too - obviously Nuffle loves the little blighters.

On the other hand they'll probably be paired up against the two dwarf teams that also got wins in the first round Razz
Death to the thralls! (and the dwarves for that matter)

hoiyes

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2006 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Comedy teams eh? Well then the Cheerleaders are a shoe-in!

Also there'll be three winning dwarf teams. Just because you believe in a guy called Hashut doesn't mean you aint a 'dorf.'
Patrician

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2006 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

bartgoon wrote:
Nuffle is obviously favouring comedy teams with the thralls off to a flying start! Thralls for the flag!

I'd like to protest at what was obviously a BB Client glitch, there's just no way that a pack of haemoglobin icy-polls could out-play, out-bash, out-dodge and out-pass my highly dedicated, talented, if somewhat over-planned elves.

We had a game plan, terms of reference, business case, hell we even had the Secretary of Elvish Blood Bowl Committee sign off on it! About the only thing I can see we did wrong was that we didn't allow for inflation in the budget forecast, but even that should have meant we only lost 1-0. There'll probably be a royal inquiry, followed by a lot of finger pointing and such, resulting in the work experience kid being indicted.

nicely played bartgoon. May your next round be filled with Dwarves, Ogres and big men named Bubba Laughing
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The second tournament is already full! You guys are way too quick ... maybe I should open more spots Razz

I'll be sending out messages to the coaches that are in tonight.

Suggestions for the structure of the next one are welcome (still experimenting to figure out what works best).

Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe a round robin first where everyone plays each other once, followed by a finals series with the top 4, 6, 8, whatever amount of teams. Similar to the NRL. Thoughts?

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ooooooooooo I hope I made it!! I transfered a team from ranked AND I had to delete a team from Unranked to make room for it.. : | I hope it wasn't for nothing : )
xstatika

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

symm, I think it's better to keep the tourney quick so that it doesn't drag and people don't lose interest.
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair call. Damn TV, and it's attention span shortening ways!

What were we talking about?Razz

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really want to do anything longer than the 8 team round robin -- that's a 2 month commitment for people as it is Wink

I would be willing to do something that has a bunch of qualifiers - maybe 4 x 4 team round robin? top 2 from each go into an 8 team KO tourney - something like that?

Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

That could work dude. Same premise really.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Fledgling Frenzy I - rainbowsoldier vs hoiyes
Sorry guys, the extension for the deadline has passed, and I had to put in the forfeit so that we can get on with round 2. Gotta get those games in people!

Good stuff everyone 7/8 isn't bad Smile - especially pat & bart, who managed to get their game in even with so little time between pat joining and the deadline!

Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2006 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Fledgling Frenzy 1
Round 2 is extended until Friday, 10pm - that makes it 1 week from the start of the round. Note: I may not be home Friday night, in which case I won't be able to Forfeit any matches straight away. Round 3 will be due 1 week from the end of round 2 (i.e. when all matches are complete, or I get a chance to do the forfeits (if there are any) ).
I'm going to stick with a 1-week time limit - but, as a few people have pointed out, it's a bit hard when the schedule isn't up until the previous round is complete, so a bit more time is probably a good idea.

Fledgling Frenzy II
Round 1 is complete, well before the use by date - keep it up guys! Very Happy

Fledgling Frenzy III
I'm thinking that this will be a series of 4 team round robin qualifiers - winner of each qualifier will go into the main tournament, which I'd like to be a 16 team team KO. TR limit for the qualifiers would be 120TR, and coaches can enter multiple times (if they don't qualify the first time).
Any comments/suggestions to help make this work?

Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Fledgling Frenzy I
Round 3 is up. After having 3 forfeits out of 8 matches, I'm going to try the following 'solution'. If you don't hear from your opponent, but want to get a game in, let me know, an i'll see if I can pair up coaches whose opponents do not show.

Please try to contact me by wednesday or thursday if you haven't heard from your opponent (that way there will be a chance to play your new opponent on the weekend.

Fledgling Frenzy III
Any comments on the format described in the above post?

Jump to: