30 coaches online • Server time: 01:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fezdan

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the sound of the FFIII's proposed format - shorter RR's seems good and if the group is small and dedicated could be compelted quite quickly. One thing I have been meaning to ask - not that it will apply to me (I am getting smashed), but what is up for grabs in these tournaments? Apart from the all important bragging rights that is.

Fezdan.
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes bragging rights.. It was just an idea of Laviaks with so many new people in the SWL for them to get a jump start with some new teams in the Fringe and perhaps give you all a taste of tournament play to encourage you to apply to the main group next season. Oh and keep an eye on the main thread forum thread
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6974

As a non progression TR100 tournament should be starting up soon. The prize for that one is a little more than bragging rights... first choice in the SWL draft for next season. Smile

Proud Member of the SWL
Fezdan

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2006 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for that- bragging rights are good. Despite being pasted so far - or perhaps even because of this - I am really enjoying the tournament. Thanks to Laviak - much appreciated.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2006 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, unfortunately, no prizes up for grabs ... though the winner does get a "cool flag" for their team Laughing

Fool

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2006 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

it's a PADI flag with a skull! (i think it would be better with just a red background, no stripe)
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2006 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of group stage then knockout.

Anyone like the idea of 2 games in the knockout (similar to the home and away matches if soccer)?

I.e. play opponent twice and knockout is decided on aggregate score. If I win game 1 and second is draw I go through. If I win 3-1 then lose 0-1 aggregate is 3-2 so i go through etc.

It might balance out the "luck" of some games.

Any thoughts?
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2006 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

greg,
while the idea of 2 game KOs is a nice one, it's not really feasible to run - since it's not supported by the basic tourney types on offer, the organiser (i.e. me) has to track everything manually. Sad

And my personal opinion on it:
I think it would also give an advantage to fast teams. teams that can score quickly can win 4-1 or even 5-1 if the other team has a bad run of dice, whereas the other way around, it's hard to do better than 2-1 or 3-1 if you get a bit lucky - it's just too damn hard to stop elves from scoring when they've got the ball Wink That means that slow scoring teams have to have 2 good games in a row, whereas one good game out of two will often be enough for fast scoring teams.

yeah fool, might try some variations - was thinking of keeping a single (fairly simple) design, and changing the background colour/text for different frenzies.

chunky04

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2006 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

On the other hand though Laviak - with two guaranteed games in a row against the elves, it would be quite possible for the bashies to absolutely belt the crap out of the elves in the first game.

I will admit that this is generally harder to do at low TR though.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Fledgling Frenzy I
Looking like there will be a few forfeits again this round (round 3). No PM = no points.

Fledgling Frenzy II
Just one forfeit coming up at this point - haven't heard from either coach, so there will be no points awarded (unless the game is played / i get a PM from one/both of them.

Fledgling Frenzy III
First qualifier will be starting on Wednesday - Please keep in mind that this is roughly a 2-3 month commitment - all games will have a 1 week time limit. Because the qualifiers will not all be starting at the same time, there may be a gap between the qualifiers (round robin) and the finals (KO).

Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2006 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thankyou to eganra and tribalsinner for filling in the gaps in FF-II and FF-III-Q1.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2006 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Fledgling Frenzy II
Congratulations to theopacman's Thy Math Be Done, winners of the Fledgling Frenzy II!

That makes it chaos twice in a row, could this be the beginnings of a trend in the frenzy?

<hr />
Fledgling Frenzy III
The Fledgling Frenzy III is still recruiting. Two teams have already qualified, so there are 6 spots left in the final - apply via the group page.

nonchalance

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2006 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

So the Reusable Reanimators hurtled into their first match tonight full of confidence, despite being up against a more experienced coach in Nalavara.

It did not go well.
With the next game against a 120-game coach and not enough cash to replace the lost wight, the Reusable Reanimators are already talking about a youth policy and rebuilding for future seasons.

Quote:
I got absolutely slaughtered this game.

Made the newbie mistake of putting my two mummies against his three on the line of scrimmage with the Khemri on offense, and one got BH in the first two turns. The other was knocked out shortly after, and when Woosha was killed and failed to regenerate, the game was over in the first five turns.

The dice were horrible all game, but cannot take anything away from my opponent, who was, quite simply, the better player on the night.
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2006 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Sign my Thumpin Crew up for FF V Smile Us ogres us bash

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2006 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh, the Fledgling Frenzy Forum has been resurrected!
Anyway, as always looking for rookie teams for the next tournament, Fledgling Frenzy V - 3/6 places filled so far.

PS: DL, I reckon you'd probably bash with a halfling team ... with ogres, the bash part can be taken for granted Razz

Laviak

Post   Posted: Jul 13, 2006 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulations to PianoDan's team, Lokomotiv Moskow BBC - eventual winners of the Fledgling Frenzy III Finals! They snuck into the finals with a wild card entry when the head coach from one of the other qualifiers had to head off to the World Cup, and came out of it with a win.

[i]Edit: fixed links (oops!)

Jump to: