55 coaches online • Server time: 15:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wyrmtainter

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I was thinking about an idea since a few weeks and have been giving it real thoughts for the past hour.

I was trying to find out the best way to root out the best coach for every race. Many would point out at Ranked, but we can easily argue on the system of notation of Ranked...I don't want to open that debate in this thread.

Here's my idea:

A league of 8/16/32 etc , non-progressive teams of the same race...That goes through steps of 3of5 or 4of7 duels, the winner going to the next step (much like KO)

Why non-progressive? As team develops skills erupts, some get lucky and gets +Stats. Even more, an unlucky game might get your team beaten for the games to come. Therefore Team Rating changes, but not at the same pace for all teams. So meetings after the first game are not 100% equal, giving more and more credit to team-advantage than actual coaching skills. No-Prog prevents this, keeping teams always at TR100, always equal in term of potential.

Why same race? It can be argued that races are not balanced. Also, some coaches are better with one race or the other. Everyone having the same race (non-prog) ensures that every game starts with equal chances of winning for both coaches.

3of5 or 4of7 is simple, losing 1 game can often be explained through bad luck or good luck. So a good coach might be eliminated in the first round cause of bad luck, giving the first spot to a coach that should have been 2nd or 3rd. This format reduces the overall effect of luck on deciding who wins the Tournament.

So imagine by example 8 coaches each with a human team. Seeding divides them in 2 couples, each couple will faceoff in a serie of matches until one coach in each couple reaches 3 (or 4 in a 4of7) wins. Each such winner of each round goes to semi-final, repeating the process up to the Final. The winner of the Final is crowned Human Champion.

This could be made for every 21 LRB races, creating a champion for every race. The champion wouldnt participate in the next season, a new coach taking up the free slot, and the winner of the season going in a 3of5 duel with the champion, the winner crowned new champion

etc...etc...etc

The main problem i have here is time. If rounds were 3of5, It would take an average of 1 month per round, making 3 months per season, 4 months with the Champion Duel. Also 8 Slots might be really too low, although this can be expanded to 16 or 32 with enough coaches, yet this adding 1 month per step.

This is mainly an idea...and Im posting this to have feedback or additional ideas Smile
Uber

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing rookie teams is boring.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your opinion ( ... ).

On this, I might add something to prevent uneeded flood of the thread.

The specific ideas on how to make the concept behind the ideas are just...ideas. So if you can think out the concept of the ideas given, and give your own ideas to work out a maybe better way to make this concept real, go ahead.

If you like 100% of how i am thinking this out, thanks for the support.

Comments that are negative and won't in any way pus further the idea I am putting forth, are uneeded and therefore, unwelcomed.

So...let's go back to the subject:

A League where:

a)Coaching skill is paramount to Team strenght
b)Teams are equal in a matchup from the first game to the final
c)the effect of luck on the final result is reduced to reasonable minimum
Uber

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2006 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

and btw you suck Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...I take it Im the only fool that think this might be interesting...
bartgoon

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 07:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Not at all, I think it could be interesting. One question would be: Will people have a set 100 point build they have to use, or can they express differences in build theories there?
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I too think its worthy

Proud Member of the SWL
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd probably be willing to participate with a hybrid team - mainly because I've been dying to try out a non-progression tournament Razz

EDIT:

And I think it's way too optimistic to expect 8*21 teams to show up for this sort of thing - and even if they do it'll be a nightmare to finish it.

Perhaps better to make it a few select races and then 8 per race. If it works you can always have another try with a bigger league.
Wyrmtainter

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I was planning to do it with 1 race for a start, and if it works fine to give it a try for other races. It would be divided in 1 sub-league per race, each of one a coach can create a team in. So per see every coach could have a human, woodie and darkies team by example, since each wont compete in the same group.

As for building, coaches will be given the freedom to build the team as they wish. Since this concept is focused on the coach and not the team, it would be possible to start over a new roster with the same race for the new season.
Ebenezer

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I like this kind of touneys and I think I'll play, but as you said, this will be a looong tournement.
My suggestions: 3 out of 5 matches, coaches have to play 2 matches back to back (after all is the same game vs the same coach), 10 days to play all matches vs 1 coach (5 if needed), touney open only to reliable coaches.
Wadehek

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2006 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think ít is a good concept to find an actual good coach. And as you point out it will be a long series of games for which in my opinion you will have to keep extra time in mind for coaches to go on vacation or other things that will prevent them to be online.
I would love to participate, because I just like to test teams on low TR.
It is one of the few predictable parts of this game.
Curro

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it´s a good Idea Wyrmtainter. But 3 out of 5 matches in only 10 days seems too much for me, I think it would be better 2 out of 3 as max.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

5 games with the same rookie teams against the same coach?
boring!
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be in it too, but the timing is an issua as said. How about that 2 of 3 series? And I think it'd be fun to play against the same coach more than once, with the same teams. You can really have a revenge, and in the 2nd and 3rd game you know something about your opponents playing style etc.