44 coaches online • Server time: 12:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fool

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've finally done it and committed to a short tour of Oceania. Smile

I don't have any specific plans yet, but I have bought the plane tickets. I'll be bringing a tabletop team with me in case any of you have time for a game and a beer(s). Maybe we could get some kind of mini tourney/game day going?

Also, if any of you can suggest things to do/see/eat/etc or have any insider tips, it'd be much appreciated. If anyone can volunteer to give me(and my wife and daughter) a tour of their city, I can ply you with alchohol and sweet nothings for your trouble. Razz

My itenary is this:

Aug 8 Fly from San Francisco to Auckland
Aug 10 - 17 Arrive Auckland and explore... my wife wants to meet some of those cute Hobbits.
Aug 17 Fly from Auckland to Melbourne.
Aug 17 to September 5th - Get vehicle (or is train/bus better idea) and make my way up the coast (hitting Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney) to Cairns. I'd also like to do some diving, so please reccomend some good spots.
Sept 5th - Fly from Cairns back home.

Again, thanks for any reccomendations/advice. I've never been before, so I could use all the help you can give.

Cheers!

Fool
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Aargh its no longer safe in the Southern Wastes......

Proud Member of the SWL
eganra

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I can hep just remind everyone when the time is closer
annachie

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Provisionally, Aug 19 is the day the gaming club meets in my area. 5 hours, me, Miyuso, and quite a few other Bloodbowlers will or could be there. (JoeK and Twahn at least are close enough to make it I think. Maybe even Drokmar)

Tourney anyone?

Annachie
PLATYPUS

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

foolwholaughsatdeath wrote:

Aug 10 - 17 Arrive Auckland and explore... my wife wants to meet some of those cute Hobbits.

Auckland??? Confused My advice, leave the city as fast as possible. Drive either up North or down to Coromandel. Rotorua and the Desert Road are quite nice as well.

The nicer part of NZ is the South Island but if you have only 7 days that won’t be likely, will it? If I am still in NZ (most likely Christchurch) I am happy to give you a tour. I’ll have to make a decision in May/June, till then anything can happen.

@ diving

Very nice diving is at Poor Night Islands, about half a day north of Auckland. Diving in Cairns is very busy. I did a week safari and was a bit disappointed. Better go with several companies than with just one. Since each company “owns” only a few dive site on the Great Barrier Reef.

More than happy to share more information if necessary.

Cheers,

PLATYPUS
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd definitely recommend making use of a car (in preference to bus/train) - there are some large distances to drive in Australia, but it is nice to just be able to stop wherever you like -- the "great ocean road" along the east coast is meant to be a pretty drive (though I've never been along it myself). You can also get fairly cheap flights between the capital cities (sydney/melbourne/canberra/brisbane/adelaide).

If I do get a chance, it would be great to meet you & your family - Adelaide might be a bit out of the way though, maybe I'll have to put in some extra effort and head over to melbourne / sydney for a few days Wink

ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL! I love how tourists think they can jump in a car and think they can drive easily between cities...

Fool, Melbourne to Cairns is say about 3,500km... do the math, thats probably 2,000 miles.

If you want to spend the bulk of your holidays in the car, feel free.

Us locals use domestic airlines
Fool

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

:O

Well, I was thinking of travelling by car from Melbourne to Sydney or possibly Brisbane (is it worth the stop?), and then fly from there to Cairns. Is that more doable? What can I expect to pay for a domestic flight? Sydney to Cairns or Brisbane to Cairns.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

the main airlines people use are http://www.qantas.com.au/ and http://www.virginblue.com.au/. I'd guess at somewhere between $100-$200 (aussie dollars) per person, depending on how far you're going. Between capital cities tends to be cheaper than going to more "remote" locations, as they get a lot more passengers for those flights.

qantas also have a discount line, "jetstar". You have to be a little careful, as they will not let you board if you do not check in early enough before your flight (nor will they offer to put you on a later flight etc.)

PS: every so often there is a nice discount, so it might be worth keeping an eye on them - I'd suggest booking about a month in advance if there hasn't been a good deal before then (sometimes they run out of cheap tickets if you leave it too late) - there also tend to be cheaper flights on weekdays (tuesday/wednesday/thursday) than on weekends.

chunky04

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Strictly financially speaking, its probably a wash between driving and flying from Melbourne to Sydney. It generally takes about 8-10 hours for the drive depending on how often you stop and the route you take. If you want to do a nice scenic drive along the ocean, it will take longer.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 04:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Melbourne - Sydney: 900km via reasonably good roads.

Sydney - Brisbane: 1000km via roads that are single lane each way with varying conditions and is probably Australia's most dangerous route.

Brisbane - Cairns: Dont know how far, but I'd estimate 1,200km or more. Never done it.

My advice, if you're keen to drive, do Melbourne to Sydney with a stop half way (briefly) in our capital city Canberra. Sydney (without getting elitist) is probably the principal tourism city. Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House etc etc.

Then fly to Brisbane from Sydney. Brisbane doesnt have a lot of stuff itself, but you may want to check out the Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Sunshine Coast etc. Fly from Brisbane to Cairns again...

But this is only my advice... I'd check out this site which I just Googled.

When you are in Sydney, let me know!
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Brisbane-Cairns is closer to 2000km. Brisbane-Townsville is about 1200km. Bloody southerners have no idea about long distances!

And Sydney! Pfft - you see the Opera House on TV every second day, and they wont let you climb the Harbour Bridge! Looks like Clay ran out of highlights after those two Wink
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 04:52 Reply with quote Back to top

You can climb the bridge!
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2006 - 05:09 Reply with quote Back to top

See!

So Snorri, whats the "big attractions" in Korea!
 Jump to: