30 coaches online • Server time: 01:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2006 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played in a few tournaments and run one or two as well but my experience is not good enough in this matter - therefore this thread.

My question goes to enforced limitations (house rules) in tournaments and their expected payoff, like for example:

Rule : No Dirty players allowed.
Payoff : Fouling neutered, longer lives for the teams in the tournaments, perhaps other sideeffects?

I´m guessing there is a wide variety of rules of this kind and i would like to know how they have worked, what kind of "feel" they have given the tournament and what the actual tournament effects were

For example, The Ulysses Maverick Trophy(join it! it´s fun!) has recently started only accepting 1 dp per team (flings and gobbos 2), probably to neuter foul-heavy strategies in the tournament.

Other well known house rules is the banishment of stars and wizards (either or both) because they unbalance the game, minimum FF, maximum number of "bashy" og "agile" teams etc.

How did they work in your tournament and what is your preference? Now discuss! Smile

M

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2006 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as I know the rules before I join, I am happy with any setup ... all play under the same guidelines.

If I don't like the look of the rules, I just don't join the tourney.

But 1 DP per team seems reasonable, as many accept that DP is a slightly unbalanced skill.
BB-Pad

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2006 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the plug, Mithrilpoint Very Happy More teams are needed!

As to your question, limitations are mainly to encourage low AV coaches to participate where they might not. Many fixed-schedule tournaments with no restrictions tend towards Orc, Chaos Dwarf, Dwarf. While there's nothing wrong with that, it can get a bit boring and I think everyone would agree that having the full range of races involved is at least interesting.

I'm not convinced banning wizards has a positive effect as IMO they are a weapon against low AG teams who tend to do better in non-open environments anyway. Stars? Well I got to the Blutballas Cup final last season thanks to the Count & some good fortune and I'm a decidedly average coach, so I can see how they might be seen to unbalance things. Elven teams may feel disadvantaged in tourney where stars are allowed as they rarely get the chance to hire stars - they're usually to busy replacing their 1st XI.

Why do we need to balance things for low AV teams? Coaches who have had their team destroyed are less likely to finish the tournament so no matter how fun that team destruction was, the subsequent forfeits ruin things for everyone.

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2006 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The 1 dp max is quite common. And is in my oppinion a good way to get the best of "both" worlds. The mangling teams still have that one Dp to make a difference.

In the Real life tournement we had alot of succes with allowing dp´s but nuffling the kick off table - in the way that [GET THE REF] worked as bribe the ref. That really made alot of us low AV coaches feel alot safer. Fouling is in my book ok - but in combination with Get The Ref it is just toooo much (and a thing i would love that was possible to change in tournements). Another Foul adjustment we have tried out - was that a ban from the game resulted in mng. That worked out fine as well - but if these things is combined they ruin the mangling teams chances. So an option have to be decided. The reason why max 1 dp is so accepted here on fumbbl - is that it is the only option that the client / site can handle.

Stars - is generally ok - the only problem is that many teams really do not have access to any worthwhile stars here on fumbbl. Not very often a Dark elf team hire their "fantastic" star. But generally they are fine.

Minimum FF just makes good sense. And will lessen the amount of teams restarting. This is good for everyone involved. That not meaning that the minimum has to 8 or 9 (that would hinder some races from having anything except linos) but somewhere like ff 6-7 usually works fine

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2006 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I run and play in many tournaments and I do like different feelings:
My NL Raises from the Ashes I create my rules per tournament according to the fluff. Else that I do no restriction at all. If the next one is the Orken tournament, cas will be rewarded. On elven ones, TD. Bretonian cups disallow fouls. But you are always free to enter a tournament or not.

My french league doesn't rule anything except that you have to join with a TR 100 team LRB. You have a training ground and various format for championships (season-cup-and qualifying groups style).

I play into BOMDS, a german league that doesn't rule anything and openroundrobin (germans seems to love that format). And it's nice also, since you have some kind of "metaplot" in the order you play your opponents.

Castunalty league is about fun in hitting and injurying stuntys. A game were fouls are heavely favourised.

Grudge league is similar to NL, maybe less fluff orientered but more long term tournament teams oriented (you cannot farm outside in U, contrary to NL). Well it has his pros and cons. Pro: you play real "pure" GL teams. Con: you sometime have really uneven str diff (+/-30 of str diff isn't that uncommon).

ISL is about teaming with other mates and try to get the best from your team by selecting your opponents well. The social aspect is really fun and cool.

UMT and SUMT are now chaging the rules. they are close to a long time league and it's nice. I can understand the fact he limits DP because some abuses of the format to heavely overpower the bashing strength of the team. Right or wrong? I don't know (and don't mind, tbh)

Unranked Cup is fairly new to me. I am making my first participation. No idea wether it's cool or not.

Stunty Cup is really a good tournament with quick game pace. It's were I try to win in stunty (what I usually don't do). It is really a fun and a good game.

5 Stars League is about 5 on 5. It's fun, it's quick, it's runned well. It's a really a great tournament, one I love the most. The format is fun and brings variety in the games I played.

So what can we see (besides the adversing part Very Happy )? I like variety and different rules. That is what attracts me in tournaments.

so now:
Quote:
I´m guessing there is a wide variety of rules of this kind and i would like to know how they have worked, what kind of "feel" they have given the tournament and what the actual tournament effects were

I guess I gave part of an answer there. it gives special feelings about tournaments. Do you want me to tell more about that?

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

and mithrilpoint perhaps you should own up to your nationality and join #fumbbl.dk and the Danish league Smile believe we have an oppening now (not sure but ask skeloboy hvis du er interesseret hehe)

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Mith: nice thread. I have run a few leagues in my time here on FUMBBL and my current project is a North American version of the very Popular Southern Wastes League. This league has functioned for a number of years and for at least 13 seasons with multiple tiers/conferences. What I like the most about the league is the concept of racial parity, i.e., making sure there are equal amounts of teams who play ball, teams who bash (which there is never a shortage of in a tourney), and teams who do both....or neither. Click on the link in my signature line to see the Northern Wastes League's adaption of the racial parity rules. Except for one unlucky chaos coach, everyone seems to like it and from what I have read in the SWL threads, it has reached cult status in the Oceania area.

If you plan on running a league where teams will reach high ratings it will be more fun to have a variety of teams instead of the typical races that make to the finals of the large ranked finals (Orcs, CDs, Chaos, DE, HE, WE, and very few, in any, others). Starting a league with racial parity has been a nice change from Ranked division where most bashers play bashers and ballers play ballers.

In regards to limits on DPs, there was an early call for this before the beginning of the NWL, however, consultation with ClayInfinity and others in SWL revealed that teams that stack up on DPs/hurty skills do not dominate any division in the SWL.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2006 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Not to mention including it would have stopped me from entering.....

___Synn
 Jump to: