30 coaches online • Server time: 13:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2011 - 20:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominion Dynamo 1 - 2 Treaclemine Specials

The travails of the unluckiest team I’ve ever seen, heard of or coached continued this evening with another demonstration of what can only be described as ‘the curse’.

Kicked off, 4 blocks, CAS, KO, Stun, CAS. By turn 4 or 5, I was ahead 10-6 on blocks, but had lost another two to double one Dodge CAS and a third to a KO for no gain. Game over as a contest, which is slightly worse than the normal version of half over as a contest, but hey ho.

Rather an odd conundrum having a team this cursed. 1/5/5 is a just awful stain on my coach page, it’s easy to lose a few in [L] when you’re not trying to win first and foremost (and easy to overlook the odd extra loss than you’d usually take because of it); but 3 of your first 4 FTW games is a tricky beast to wrestle with.

Perhaps the time will come at season’s end to begin again with a set of less awful pixels, and perhaps the odd Guard and +MA (much less the karma that must be coming this team’s way!) will spur them on to some sort of redeemable sequence.

Hey ho – Orcs next. Lord knows how badly they’ll pound me if Frogs and rookie Norse can do this! Very Happy
clarkin

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2011 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

[L] is all about sticking with the accursed team even when you hate them (like me and my stupid lrb6-undead). Razz

In all seriousness I think I am going to have to park my undead at season-end too; just cannot like them (or win much!) in 6
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2011 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps you're right; I stuck wit DFTS through some dark days and it was rewarding.

Karma will kick in soon, I have, erm, some doubt. Smile
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2011 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The marquee match-up of the Great Albion Regional Division took place on Thursday, as the Barons of Blackwater hosted the Wood Elf team Parklife FC. With both squads 4-0-0 through four games, it seemed fair to say that this was a match between two future Conference teams, and the elves did not disappoint, turning in one of the most action-packed games of the season en route to a 6-3 Parklife victory.

One of the ongoing subplots for the season has been Parklife's fragile wardancers. Damon (+AG, tackle) and Graham (+ST, tackle) have been on the team since their Fringe Cup run last season, but were rarely able to share the pitch due to a series of MNG debacles. Fans saw a bit of what the two could do together in last week's match against cellar dwellers WILlpowered Skinks, but that was nothing compared to the dominant performance they put on this game. They repeatedly blitzed the thrower, retrieved the ball, blocked defenders out of their shoes, and came away from the game with a touchdown each. (The one low point: Damon narrowly avoided injury on Turn 1, as he tripped going for it and had to be recovered from a game-ending injury by the team's apothecary.)

But even with Damon and Graham's performances, man of the match honors have to go to catcher Battery In Your Leg, who scored a hat trick on his debut and added in a completion for good measure. Earning an agility bonus after the game, Battery looks like another star in waiting.

On the Barons' side, it's hard to fault star thrower Aearion Matanthar, who completed three passes and was named his team's MVP. Apart from a flub or two in the backfield, Matanthar was the quarterback every team needs, reliably getting the ball to his man and holding up well against the blitz. Wide receiver Hongos Mithnarthor was also a standout, completing two passes of his own and logging a TD. (He almost scored twice, but burly Parklife lineman Pressure on Julian knocked him into the reserve box late in the first half with a hard hit near the goal line.)

The teams were tied 2-2 at halftime, but Parklife received and quickly scored, using Damon, Graham and Julian to shield Battery as he ran down the sideline. The kick went deep, and the Wardancers rumbled into action, menacing Matanthar into a wobbly long pass that scattered around the field but eventually made its way to a High Elf catcher at midfield. Graham backtracked to blitz the ball away from the catcher, and rookie thrower Think Tank grabbed the ball and passed to Damon for the TD. 4-2.

On the next kickoff, the ball bounced all the way into the end zone. Matanthar grabbed it... and was leveled by a lightning blot from the stands. Before the stunned thrower could recover, Graham had blitzed his way down the field to score the decisive fifth TD. Each team added another score after the fact, but the game had been essentially decided.

Next up, Parklife looks to extend their all-time record to 10-0-0 when they face Garion's Lost Boys, a squad of vampires. Chavo's elves look to put the finishing touches on their promotion bid as they face Stark Family Robinson, a promising young high elf squad that has battled inexperience and injuries but looks like one for the future.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2011 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Aeryn Regional XXII, round 5: WI Undergrounders vs Crawley Creepers

The weather was greatly in the elves' favor. Pouring rain while elves have an AG5 and the rats lost a gutter early on, leaving them with only one.
Elves kicked, an early block fail from the rats (before marking the ball) led to 3 elves on the ball. Hand-off fail, rats almost escape but get struck down. Fight in the elves' endzone, elf fails pickup on the endzone, ball lands next to him. Gutter tries and pick it up in the endzone for a TD, rolls off the pitch instead, thrown by the crowd into the crowd further up, and into the hands of a delf blodger midfield, who catches it in a TZ and rain. Halftime: 1-0 elves.

Second half a perfect defense slows the elves down, but they score all the same. third drive is a blitz. The ball changes hands a couple of times, but gets closer to 3-0 than 2-1.

TV and dice were in my favor, opponent never got to use his babe or bribe.

Post   Posted: Oct 14, 2011 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

That Be Bristle v Cold Hands, Dead Eyes
0/2/1 in the prem meant I really wanted to win this one to finally get some points (and slink upwards from last place)..

We kick off and they quickly KILL a wrzombie (regen!) before grabbing the ball by one sideline and caging at that side. We push players in around them, trying to swarm them against the side of the pitch, and it seems to be working, but they can pull their way out of it very nicely on T5 with some 1d blocks. It looks like they will chain push themselves clear on T6... til the ogre gives up a turnover on a 2d block! We take advantage to knock the ball from their thrower's hands and steal with a ghoul. Their players can't really stand up or they'll get crowdpushed, and their best bet of a -2d tackle blitz comes to nothing, so we can easily push through towards the endzone to score on T8 (the humans skip their T8 in desperation!)

1-0 and we are receiving for the 2nd half, great start! We score two early KOs for a player advantage, though then get our DP sent off on a stun-foul. T3 and they manage a 1d blitz to POW the ball free, though we recover without problems. They then gang up on our STR7 uber-mummy to 1d blitz him over with their STR4 thrower, before surrounding him and sending in a DP... it's a BH (regens) and a sending off!

We are playing solidly, not trying for a quick score but rather trying to grind them down for the safe 1-0.. until T6 when they rush the ball carrier and we have a woeful T7 that fails to make it safe. On their T7 they 1d pow him and steal the ball, and on out T16 we can 2d blitz him over, but then fail a GFI to make it safer. They can 1d pushback our wight, and then their jump-up blitzer can make the 4+ pickup in the rain for the 2nd time running and dash in for a last second equaliser.

Argh!!! All fell apart in the last two turns there Sad
CCSenor

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2011 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

WIL India Regional Division XXII

Whisky Imbued Lords 0 Fallen Arches 1

Where to start !. . .

Fallen Arches, being only 13 in number, spent inducement money on a bribe plus 2 babes. This looked a bad choice when a Gobbo was one square short of making it 1 - 0 at half time and coach Senor regretted not bringing along Scrappa Sorehead to handle the ball and bring some extra speed to the team . Then when the bribe ( a bug i think ) didnt work and resident Looney Turkish was ejected, all seemd lost.

The Lords quickly took command of the 2nd half and were hanging around the Endzone with the ball, running down the clock before scoring . Troll, Fickass Pigsh't had plodded his way back towards the action and in a game breaking move plundered his way to the centre of the Elf cage and brought down the carrier. . .

The ball spun into the crowd, quick thinking Arches fans managed to shift it back to the half way line. With all the Elves committed forward, a few Gobbos that had given up the ghost were just hangin around the centre of the pitch and were suddenly spurred into action by the screams of a few thouand fans. They recovered the ball and managed to run it in for the winning TD just before the final whistle. . .
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2011 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

fighting greenskins 1 - 3 Dominion Dynamo

I suppose when you point out how poor a team is rolling, when they do a fine job one evening, it’s probably wise to mention it.

From a T1 Blitz! here, one way traffic was assured. A lack of AV broken on the HE side (a welcome change) and the odd Orc KO lead to a game where I probably didn’t need the Inducements I had, but 2-1 became 3-1 when I made the Wizzie earn his 150k.

Careering towards TV150 now, and looking forward to a less dicey season.
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2011 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Dragon Conference round 6.
White and Purple Smoke 0 - 3 Har Ganeth Headrippers.
The Headrippers climb to the top of the table for a brief spell while PC loses all interest in League play. Guess I had tons of good karma coming as it was my 1000th game on fumbbl.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2011 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Lion Conference Round 7

Ebil Zneaky Worzhipperz 2 - 0 Dirty Trapis Meeting In WIL

I dont have words for what happened in the match, but let me try and describe it. (cant access replay, so will be off from my head)

Wizard and Babe was hired. From the start I told Vicius that this was going to be a hard match for me. Those vamps did look nice on paper.

I am kicking the ball and the regular blocks are made at the LOS. So my turn to block. Make the one blitz action and set up a defense with no base contact. My turn maybe took 30secs or so. And here is almost what words were exchanged.

Vicius: hehe
Vicius: FAST
Me: I am just going to wait and hope your vamps will fail those Blood Lust

Vicius start his turn and bam blood lust. One thrall to the BH box. Bam another to the KO box. 2 thrall down and my CD begin to put presure on Vicius vampires. It seems like Vampires are attacking Thrall left and right. With very little skills, a blitz is made on the ball carrier and the ball is now being carried towards Vicius end zone. Turn 6 a TD is scored. With no RRs, Vicius take his Str 5 MP evil looking vampire and make a blitz only in resulting that the vampire goes down itself. It seems like both the Vampires and the REF does not like Vicius. Vicius attempt to make a chainpush to make a TD, but not enough spaces.

2half and vampires are 2 man down. The LOS is thrown into the ground and a blitz is made on his DP. KILLED, even the APO does not help Vicius. A killed DP is what the APO also want. Vicius keep on trying to pull one trick out of the hat after the other one, but nothing goes his way. Failed dodges, failed gfi, failed gaze etc. etc. keep on making it impossible for Vicius to even be able to do the simple things. The match end with a Bull finally get his act together and pick up the ball and score the TD for 2-0.

I think I can talk for both coaches here that we looked in puzzlement over how effectively his vampires was sabotaging everything he was trying to do. And Vicius only took it with a smile.

Ebil Zneaky Worzhipperz has succeed in staying in the DIV. If I can win my next match, then I might be able to take first place or 2nd place. But it also depends on what the other Lion Conference top team matches fall out will be. Hopefully towards my favor.

Last words: Zowardz glory, fame and zpreading the word of Worzhipping Nuffle
Calthor

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2011 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

(Not really a Match Report per se, but still somewhat notable)

Both of my werewolves just skilled up after last match, and BOTH Rocko and Sledge rolled +AG!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2011 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Weegie Boys 2 - 1 Dominion Dynamo

And yea; the story of the unluckiest team I've ever seen came to a sloppy, damp close this lunch.

As always, the opposition opened with 11 blocks, 4 CAS and a KO, and the scribes awatching wrote 'game over' in their notebooks. Upon a silly mega dice score to make it 1-1 at half time, the silly became possible, but as 6 Elves lined up for offence, the heavens opened, the ball was spilled, at it was done.

With a quick check to Jock at WIL HQ, the coach threw in the towel for the first and only time in 100+ WIL games, pressed concede, and buggered off to decide what he was bringing to the new season. Whatever it is, it had better bloody well be better than this rabble.

Perhaps Nuffle is punishing me for the deletion of DFTS. Necro are on the list. Wink
RC

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2011 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

And thus ends an awesome season for the Barbarians Smile
We only got scored upon once and scored 10. To bad that I am not at the moment sure that I will have the time to play in the next one.
Thanks for all the nice games!

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2011 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

With the non-Premier season coming to a close, it's time to look at regional play, and congratulate the teams that are moving up next season...

Albany: With one game left to go, the only thing left to be decided is whether Automn's Swan Lawn will overtake RedFish's Danelagen Gentlemen for first place. Both teams are assured promotion. The Gentlemen, a Chaos Pact team, are known for their slow-paced rushing offense, outscoring opponents 9-5 in six games. Meanwhile, Automn's elves are looking forward to major inducements in conference play -- they earned promotion in their rookie season, but are still at only 1230k TV.

Great Albion:
If they manage to win their final game, Ahalfling's Parklife FC will be the only Regional team to run the table. They're currently 5-0 with a forfeit win. (Last year's Fringe Cup champs are 10-0-0 all-time.)

Even without a win, the Wood Elves are assured of promotion, as are Chavo's High Elf Barons of Blackwater, who went 5-1. (No other Great Albion team won more than two games.) The Barons and Parklife have combined for 39 touchdowns over 11 games, peaking with Parklife's 6-3 victory over the Barons in Week 5 -- the highest combined score in recorded WIL history.

Morien: In a division marred by rampant missed games, an old stand-by has come out on top: Bill-BJJ's Rickson by Armbar proved themselves the class of the field, going 4-1-1. One of the league's most historic squads, Rickson have been WIL members since Season 2 (that's summer 2006!), and have an all-time record of 60-35-47.

They're joined by Jiiiiim's Undead team Zomb, who bashed their way up to conference in their second ever season.

Aeryn: Cribbleobblepie's Geordie Pride are moving up to conference next year, after going 4-1-0 with two forfeit wins. The Geordies allowed only two TDs in five games, but a week 7 draw with the_Sage's Crawley Creepers kept them from running the table.

Suitably, the Creepers are also being promoted -- the Dark Elf team went 3-1-1, overcoming a CAS deficit of 6-14 this year. It's got to be tough for Dwarf team Boys Dont Like Fringes, who handed Crawley their only loss, but got edged out by 3 points for the promotion.

Hibernia: Three games are left to go in week 7, but the Hibernian champs are decided. BooAhl's Cambridge Famous Punts have won the division, going 5-0 with a draw (and a likely week 7 forfeit win). The Chaos Dwarves dominated the competition all year, outscoring their rivals 13-3 and posting a terrifying 25-3 CAS differential.

When Retro21's Murktown Cowboys and koadah's Queen Vic Belles posted a draw in the season's final week, they clinched second place for zombificus' Goblin team A Midsummer Nightmare. Amazingly, these dangerous stunties dealt even more injuries than the Famous Punts, sending 26 opponents to the CAS box over 6 games. It's a great achievement earning promiotion with Goblins, and it seems likely that these two teams will make conference play just a bit bloodier next year.

Caledonia: This division has been incredibly close all year long. The current leaders, Ulrik's White Isle Lizards, posted two ties and a loss, but that's still good for pole position with 25 points. Assuming Avtomatik's Croatian Gladiators don't forfeit their Week 7 game, they'll clinch the other promotion -- and if the dwarves beat Grin's Nottingham Renegades, they'll win the division.

India: RC's Norsca Touring Barbarians won five, tied one and beat another by forfeit, earning top ranks in India. Norse teams are known for fast-paced action, but the Barbarians have actually made their name as a tight defensive unit -- they only allowed one TD in six games to lead the entire WIL in defense. (With a 18-10 CAS count, though, they're usually good for a lot of violent highlights...)

Impressively, ANOTHER Goblin team is headed up to the conference next season, as CCSenor's Fallen Arches went 3-2 with a draw. When's the last time multiple stunty teams earned promotion in the same year? It's hard to say, but it just happened here.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2011 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Very impressive write-up. Hat's off.
 Jump to: