53 coaches online • Server time: 15:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2006 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

WI Premier Division. Shadow's Minions v Class of 99.

Shadow finally woke up and caused 3 cas in a bloody game that left Ultwe's poor humans struggling for position. The managed to put up a valient effort in the second half, but PeteW's luck won through in the end.

2-0 to the Minions

Next it's a top of the table clash against pac's Elves.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2006 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Unicorn Conference - Doomed From the Start 2- 1 Schwartzenegger's Stunts

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=1310158

Not at all what I expected really. The Dwarves kicked and rolled a perfect defence. They lined up one on one for a slug fest with 12 block Dwarves against a no-block-Zombie-heavy 11 man Necro team... And got out bashed. 2 Dwarven RIP's including the st4 Junior and one of the two Blitzers, and a niggle on their runner. Despite being 1-0 down at the half and having 8 men v 11 for the second, some great coaching by Xenon, some lame coaching by me and Nuffle combined to make it 1-1 with 3 turns for me to get the win. I only managed this with a 3+ dodge followed by long pass combo that all, thankfully, came off.

Now that Nuffle blessed me here, watch him let the Khemri (next up) dis-member me!
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
The Dwarves kicked and rolled a perfect defence. They lined up one on one for a slug fest with 12 block Dwarves against a no-block-Zombie-heavy 11 man Necro team... And got out bashed. 2 Dwarven RIP's including the st4 Junior and one of the two Blitzers, and a niggle on their runner.

Many coaches say that you should never (never!) add more players to the LoS on a Perfect Defence roll. This is why! Shocked

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd never really thought about it until now - it was basically a 10 Necro V 11 Dwarf on the LoS bashfest, 2 players with block V 11 Dwarves.

I didn't think it was that bad a strategy at the time. I mean, I used my guard and Fleshy to eek out all the 2db's that I had, but still I was very, very lucky on armour rolls. I see the logic, all of that block and av9 and a numbers advantage, and I had to roll an awful lot of dice! One of those situations where a double skull/POW later and his Dwarves could have made mincemeat out of my guys.
Xenon

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Learnt my lesson Pac... Will never do that again...actually regretted about 2 dice rolls in, as i forgot Purplegoo's guard player...! Idiot! Hope the Dark Elves don't maul my dwarves further Wink
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I know that I'm going against the evidence in hand now, but I still see it as a reasonable tactic, but only with Dwarves. It's not like I'd do it with Woodies!

I think (and can't check as the replay's broken) that we started with 3 Dwarves on the LoS. So this gives me two 2db's with block, and a third without if those two Dwarves go down. I also get a blitz, but I've run out of block players as my Wight is receiving the ball (I only have 3 blockers on the team at this point). So that's four 2db's hopefully.

With all of the guys at the LoS, from memory, I got two 2db's with blockless Zombies thanks to the guard, one with a block Fleshie and a blitz with a block Wolf that I had to pull off a RR'd 3+ dodge to make happen. So that's 4 too. Now, I think that because they all went down, I got a couple more. But the Dwarves are all at the coalface ready to respond in kind, which they weren't originally, and chances are they wouldn't have all gone down. A bashfest suited them as well, as they had one more player both at the LoS, and in the squads.

Bottom line is I just got lucky!

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking the thread with this. I've probably been proved wrong by what actually happened anyways, but if I ever run another Dwarven team, I'd still be tempted to do this on a perfect defence!
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I didn't think it was that bad a strategy at the time.

No, I didn't mean to say it was always a bad strategy - the odds probably favoured Xenon on this one (I can't check as the first turns of the game seem to have been lost from the replay due to reloads). Sometimes the opponent can only get a one dice, skulls it, and you have the initiative, but all too often putting all those players into position to be blocked is a hostage to fortune.

Quote:
... if I ever run another Dwarven team, I'd still be tempted to do this on a perfect defence!

Yes, whether or not it's a good idea, the risk that Dwarves (or the like) <i>might</i> do this on a Perfect Defence is a good reason not to put more players than you have to on the halfway line.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Stark's Stadium Double Header
NFL Match 6

White Isle Match 2

As the 2nd match in the Starks Stadium double header the dwarves were eagly awaiting the match as the "Break through Bears" had not impressed them at all. In fact one of the rats from this game was heard to say "This coach is rubbish, you guys will nail them!"

Sadly this caused the dwarves to become over-confident and they were just not prepared for the ferocity of the Necro attack. After losing 4 players to injury, 2 of them dead (including the STR 4 Junior!) the team were totally disheartened. How could it have gone so wrong?!

After a rousing team talk at half time, the remaining 8 dwarves took the field and "Eraser" collected the ball. He then did the only thing that dwarves know how to do and stuffed the ball up his chainmail jumper and charged the opposing line. After the match he admitted that he kept his eyes tight shut and thoroughly expected to join the body count. Thankfully somebody managed to stop him before he ran straight into the crowd upon scoring and the draw was back on the cards!

With so few players left on the pitch and nuffle dropping things on them from a great height, there was little these little boys could do to stop the simple passing play in the dying seconds, apart from pray that it would be dropped. Sadly this was not to be and the 2-1 score line was a disappointment to the little lads.

No partying with the Skaven who were throwing their play off party. The dwarves were gutted as the Terrors always throw good parties and its what these dwarves are best at ("Just a bit of harmless fun")! Thankfully the next match vs 11 Dark Elves shouldn't be so brutal and will give these lads the well deserved break to get back to full strength before facing those (now) scary lookings Orcs.

Last edited by Xenon on %b %08, %2006 - %20:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2006 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

"This coach is rubbish, you guys will nail them!"

Heh - yeah - I am, some good Ratty thinking! Very Happy

It was quite nice to get a bit of a tactics discussion going as well, as a bad coach I need it! I do never think about a perfect defence when I set up, which is silly as I always try and make a Blitz! result or a Quick snap more difficult for the opposition by not leaving holes in my offence or not lining up too many guys on the LoS when kicking. There was a pretty good Lizardman/fouling tactics discussion in the chat last night as well (/me plugs #Whiteisle)!
Furious_George

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2006 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Good Evening Folks, Marienburg Athletic took to the field recently, versus the mighty Dominus Astrum
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1310096
The game was an interesting mix of tactical thinking, and absurd dice, the likely things failing, and the saurus warrior pickups succeeding.
In the end it finished 2-2, Marienburgers cringing as twice linemen were niggled into retirement, all is not lost however, the team coach 'Furious' George is confident of victories in their next few games, and was quoted as saying

"Nothing is decided til the fat Slann burps, were not done by a longshot, and were damn sure not getting relegated!"

He went on to say

"Sure, weve lost some talented lads, but thats the game we play these days, theyre all backroom staff now, we dont abandon our lads when theyre injured, and we sure as hell dont quit either! The league better keep its eyes on us, were on the up!"

Critics argue that Marienburg Athletic can't cut it in the top flight, and that the manager doesnt have the experience of high up managment, Fans however, think differently. Jim Spoon from the Greasy Spoon Eatery in Greater Marienburg had this to say,

"Were loyal fans, we'll be there with the lads whatever the final score, and if a rock should happen to hit an elf... well... these things happen dont they..."

There you have it folks, Marienburg Athletic scrape their second draw, and all signs suggest theyre not done yet!

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Xenon

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2006 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

White Isle Match 3

After the previous poor result the dwarves took to the field with a look of fear in their eyes. Who knows who they'd lose today?

The first half their lack of confidence showed and the slow grind down field just didn't pay off. After a quick score for the slippery elves in the 2nd half the dwarves started counting the opposition and realised they outnumbered them. Their confidence restored against these feable elves, the second kick off assured them the equaliser.

With "Eraser" missing the next match and the future of "Total Recall" still uncertain the next match vs the Orcs will not be an easy match
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2006 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Rasut's Rewind 0 - 1 Doomed From the Start

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=1322132

The promotion hopes of Doomed From the Start hang by a thread this evening as this game equaled the record for the bloodiest game in the White Isle League so far in terms of casualties, with the From the Start boys coming out worse.

The game plan of hitting Throw-ras with Wolves started well enough, with a regened cas on Po-Tehta coming in the first turn. An engineered 1db on the ball carrier on turn 2 didn't come off, but all looked ok anyway. Despite recovering the ball on the Khemri drive, the Necro side had suffered 2 SI niggles, one to a Wolf, one to a Wight, and 2 BH's to the Flesh Golem and Guard Zombie by halftime, and a messed up stall meant it the game was scoreless at the half. Receiving in the second half, 'From the Start managed to eek out the game's only score via 2 timely KO's and a double skull to the Khemri side, leaving the fans happy in the short term, but with tough coaching decisions to come for coach Purplegoo. When to sack the nigglers and how quickly replacement positionals can be bought will effect not only the team's short term ambitions, but what we'll want from season 3.

Well played Ravening, go do it to everyone else now! Very Happy
Xenon

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2006 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Rickson By Armbar 1 - 2 Schwartzenegger's Stunts

In preparation for this match the "Stunts" had been running headfirst into brick walls. What other preparation is there for taking down those fearsome Black Orcs?
With only 10 players starting against this Orcish Horde the Stunts were hoping that their handicap would help them out. When the ref handed them the "Smelling Salts" the team were disheartened. "Commando" was heard to remark "What use are these?! Do we look like elves?".
With the Kick off casually received by "Eraser" the cage formed and the melee commenced. By turn 4 "Eraser was surrounded by the smelly Orcs, but he saw his chance and spinted for the end zone. Fully expecting to feel a scaley hand pulling him down, he ran foward. It never came and the Stunts took the lead.
The return kick saw Nuffle shining on the "Stunts" and the Orcs just couldn't find the time to equalise.
With little they could do to stop the equaliser the "Stunts" knew that they needed something pretty special to win this match and swtiched to some elvish tactics (although they will never admit to this!).
"Eraser" dropped back into the pocket and waited for "Total Recall" to drive up the wing, ready to receive the pass in the back field. The dwarves knew this was a slim chance and when the throw was off target, the Orcs had one last chance to stop the winner.
As with the rest of the match nuffle shone on the little stunts and "Total Recall" grabed the ball from under the Orc's noses and casually scored in the dying seconds.
Sadly this last ditch effort from this Blitzer left him a weakened and wizened shell of his former self (-ST on aging!). With nuffle on their side and all the hard work paying off the "Stunts" are looking forward to the elves, especially as they will start with 11 men for only the 3rd time this season!
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2006 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Storm Warriors 1 - Marienburg Athletic 3 - Having just come out of a bruising game against Shadow's Minions (who had killed one elf and forced another into retirement), the Warriors went tentatively into this match. The coach's strategy of playing the odds by putting his Blodgers on the LoS against no-Tackle opposition failed spectacularly, as the Marienburgers succeeded in injuring all three LoS elves with blocks and fouls on the opening turn. The seven (and soon just five) remaining elves battled on bravely, but the challenge was simply too much for them (with a total of three double-1s not helping matters). At 3-0 down, the side seemed utterly demoralised, but then produced a consolation touchdown of pure artistry (modesty fails me here Wink - please spec it) which has raised hopes that the team may yet regain their earlier form.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2006 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Doomed From the Start 1 - 1 Games R Us

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=1331526

Doomed From the Start sit atop the Unicorn Conference (subject to the result of the Norse / Khemri encounter) thanks to a dice aided victory over Rijssiej's High Elves.

Despite receiving in the first half, poor ball protection and only starting with 10 men meant Games R Us could down the Wight ballcarrier, and with a swift pass away from the 'cage' area, the ma 4 dominant Necro's were helpless to stop the game's opening score. In the half's closing 2 turns, some expert Zombie ball-handling meant that 'From the Start were 2 GFI's and a handoff with catch away from their own contender for 'Touchdown of the season', but the Zombie KO'd fell over on the GFI, ah well.

Second half, and some lucky KO rolls meant 9 Necro's kicked to 8 Elves, and a Re-rolled double skull/Pow on the Elven first action burnt a TRR, and effectively gave 'From the Start a Blitz! kick-off result. We overcommitted at the LOS trying to box-in the Elves, but the superb Elven ball-handling meant Ra the Dragon Warrior was in open field in turn 2. Another skull on block 1 meant no help for the ball carrier, and again, on turn 3, a skull in an early block prevented the Dragon Warrior from attempting a simple 2+dodge and score. A 1db stun from my Wolf later, and 1-1 was the only remaining result. A stall against 5 remaining Elves allowed Arch-Vile to wait until turn 8 to score. A braver coach would have attempted a Wolf to Wight pass to score, meaning 2 skill-rolls rather than 1, but after all of Rijssiej's 1's, I thought it was about my turn, and didn't want to take any risks I didn't have to.

This result leaves the top of the Unicorn Conference extremely tight. With it looking like the promotion issues will only be settled on the last day of the season, does anyone think it would be a good idea to try and synchronize the kick-off times (in each division) in round 7 that have an effect on promotion/relegation/championship issues? Or is that an unfeasible idea?

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %24, %2006 - %10:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: