48 coaches online • Server time: 14:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2006 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

So...... My final bump!

Any news on the Conference games getting played? Are we flogging a dead horse here?
Xenon

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

bump... anyone out there..?
RC

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I am here and interrested in a second season

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

There are definitely people interested in making this work, they just don't seem to be in the playoffs
Kanzo

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
There are definitely people interested in making this work, they just don't seem to be in the playoffs

yep! I loss my playoff game against an opponent with 12 days without appearing by the coin toss...

that sucks!

please, finish the season!!!!!!!!!

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, just heard from highsididy that he is out due to busy times in IRL.

So is seem that playoffs were just offplays. And as it seems that the other Conference final will be unplayed too. If ploplo25 and neverdodge are going to play the game this weekend, we might have our Final Frenzy Bowl. If not, it's time for Season 2.

So let's start thinking about improvements. Somethings to think about are:

-Number of teams
-Scoring
-Bounty Hunts
-Season structure

In my opinion, 16 teams is good as it is, scoring is good and Bounty Hunts are good. In season structure, my main concerns are number of games, and the time between deadlines. What have you thought about this 7 game structure? Twice against teams in same division, once against the other. There have been some thought about making 2 cross-division games, so the total would be 8 games.

In terms of keeping the league running, 1 week time for rounds is the best. But it has it problems. 2 weeks is pretty slow, and it might kill the pace and interest. This season we had 1½ weeks, and still there were huge problems for setting up the schedules and games.

Please let me know what you think about these.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

1 week works for me.. I am always here anyway Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think 1.5 weeks is about right, if you have the right mix of coaches. A week is too short to get all games played, and 2 weeks is too long and the pace falls away.

Maybe the best way would be to kick everyone from the group and make us re-apply. So, along with new recruits, at least we would have 16 coaches that, at the start of the season, would be interested. If we carry these guys in the playoffs that seem uninterested, there will surely be more dropped games next season. At least that way we know if it's worth having season 2.

8 games from 16 teams feels about right to me.

Another possible way of getting more coaches is to make one of the divisions an Oceanic division, as excluding these guys dropped a large section of FUMBBL before we even started. Instead of 2 Conferences of 2 divisions based on USA/Europe, 4 divisions, each based upon their own timezone, grouped into 2 conferences that 'fit' best might be better.

As for bounty hunts, I feel a full season at the current system will give a good feel as to how well the system works.
Xenon

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Kyberri - I am definitely interested in a second season and to be honest I think the problems we faced this season were down to the coaches and not your running of the league or any of the feature of the design (although I'm not saying we could not improve this situation)

However I think you need to be stricter in enforcing the deadlines. If the games aren't played on time forfeit.

If a player has contacted you to say that he has problems then don't forfeit, but advertise to the entire league those problems and the fact that you have granted an extension (and also advertise their new deadline).

If a player has trouble arranging a game then they should contact you before the deadline to say as such if this doesn't happen then you should coin toss the result and forfeit.

If a coach is involved in more than 1 forfeit in a season (due to lack of communication to yourself) we should kick them from the league and look for a replacement (and allow the coach to reapply and grovel to come back in, with a commitment to play the rest of their games on time)

To be honest I think my own suggestion sounds harsh, but I think without these rules in place in the first season it is not possible to get 16 teams that will be willing and able to play in season 2. Also if people see others getting away with missing deadlines (or that is their perception) then it is easy for them to become flippent about these rules themselves.

Don't know if anyone agrees with what I have said, so feel free to shoot me down Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Kanzo wrote:
Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:

yep! I loss my playoff game against an opponent with 12 days without appearing by the coin toss...

that sucks!

please, finish the season!!!!!!!!!

I'm all for a strict policy too - a deadline is a deadline! If a player has RL issues, an advertised extension is by all means a good and fair idea, but too much leeway to a coach that hasn't been in touch with an admin just slows the league. If on deadline day a game hasn't been played, bite the bullet and move the league on.

In the quoted example - if Kanzo had gotten in touch and his opponent not, surely Kanzo should have advanced? A coin toss (I would think) should only be used in a situation where neither coach contacted the admin - is that the case here?
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You all know how I hate forfeits, and I haven't been strict enough with the deadlines. Maybe we should try redline/deadline system? Redline is a date to contact your opponent and tell the league admin if the game is scheduled. After redline, admin lists up everyone who hasn't contacted him, so those who haven't know that. And if you have forgotten to send a pm to your opponent, this list tells you that.

And after deadline, those who haven't still contacted admin and asked for extension, are forfeited. I have never tried this, but it might be worth trying.

And in Kanzo's situation, both coaches contacted me, and I have talked about it with Kanzo.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2006 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

OK - was just wondering.

As for redline / deadline - whatever you think will help. Sounds like a reasonable system, but I've never been involved in a league that uses it, so I don't know.
Xenon

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2006 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know about anyone else, but redline/deadline sounds like going from one extreme to the other. I'm all for something to help identify those coaches who need to go for the good of the league and can see that this will help in that regard. However I do think that a *strict* deadline policy is all that is really required.

Kyberri - I know that you hate forfeits and your intentions were good in season 1, but I just can't help feeling some early forfeits to show you were serious about the deadlines would've helped the situation. Coin toss forfeits are lame though and if both coaches have a valid reason and both contact you, then I beleive this should be posted in the forum and an extended deadline granted. People need to see you as firm but fair, so your actions should be transparent. No offense to you at all (as I said your motives seemed to be good) but I just didn't get this sense about you in season 1.

I also agree with Purplegoo that the only way we have a chance at a 2nd season is to kick everyone and force a reapply. We need to cut loose the dead weight. I would also suggest that any of those final coaches (except me and Neverdodge who actually played a play off!) should have to give a damn good reason to rejoin (well except maybe Kanzo & opponent, but I can't comment on the reasons here as Kyberri hasn't shared them with us), as if they can't be bothered to play in the final, they clearly can't be bothered with the league!
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2006 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems to me that some of the playoff coaches who didn't play dropped off at the end of the season, but had already secured their place. I dunno if there's any solution to this... I just don't understand why, with all the other coaches who quit mid-season, these guys didn't just drop out and let someone else play.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2006 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

So Season 1 is over. No Bowls were played, no awards given, no nothing. Everyone was kicked from the group. As soon as I kicked few coaches I realised that it'd have been a good idea to send a group pm first, but now it's too late Smile

So recruiting for Season 2 is on, as soon as we agree on one thing. The TR limit.

As teams from Season 1 has TR max 175 (without gold), what should be the limit for new teams? I was thinking about 150, so that there would be no huge differentials.